Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS X Mount

dv.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering this lens for my X-E1.  I dont mind the manual focus, but not many people mention the manual exposure.  Do most folks just leave the aperture set in the middle and let the camera pick the shutter speed?   Does the viewfinder dimming at smaller f stop make it difficult to compose?  Or do most leave it wide open to take advantage of the speed of the lens?

I an not so sure that I understand what you are asking.

For general purposes, under good light conditions, you can leave the lens set on the aperture which gives you the best image quality and depth of field and focussed at the hyperfocal distance.

Under these conditions the camera becomes virtually like what in the large format photography world is called an “ hobo camera”. A point and shoot camera.

If you are in very poor light condition, or need to focus closer than you can by means of the hyperfocal method you would diverge from all of this but focussing, even with the best of eyes and focus peeking at he best magnification won’t be easy but you can do it.

I use it this way and don’t find it difficult to compose.

The EVF or electronic viewfinder is to this purpose also an image amplifier. The output image that you see inside is very similar under most light conditions, in other words if there is a lot of light or not so much light the image on the screen has more or less the same brightness.

This is an essential difference with a reflex camera because there, the image you see (unless you are using live view) is the one made by the lens closed at a certain aperture through mirror and prism.

But that’s not what happens with a mirrorless camera. That’s why being hung up about the maximum aperture is not particularly useful for anything other than the reaching of the magical bokeh ( Ah! The Bokeh!).

Of course at some point of low light noise will increase and cloud the picture but composing is way better even under those circumstances.

Considering this lens for my X-E1.  I dont mind the manual focus, but not many people mention the manual exposure.  Do most folks just leave the aperture set in the middle and let the camera pick the shutter speed?   Does the viewfinder dimming at smaller f stop make it difficult to compose?  Or do most leave it wide open to take advantage of the speed of the lens?

Not that milandro's answer isn't right but here's a shorter answer. 

I usually shoot aperture priority with this lens. So I let the camera choose shutterspeed and iso and personally control aperture and focus. around f/5.6 - f/8.0 for max sharpness and towards f/2.0 for light gathering. The viewfinder remains the same as the exposure, so it stays bright and only gets dark if there isn't enough light. 

the aperture priority is my favorite automatism from the days the first AE ( automatic exposure) cameras appeared on the market offering automatism with aperture or shutter (only much later with program).

I’ve always had cameras with AE with aperture priority although I remember a friend of mine had a Konica Autoreflex T when I had a Pentax ES

Took a wander around Whitburn Village and then along to Sunderland with my new X-T1 and lenses - really enjoying exploring with the Samyang 12mm...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ps. Milandro - I started my SLR photography with a Konica Autoreflex A which was shutter priority and manual. I recall it went off with one hell clatter and that the 50mm lens was fantastically sharp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had fun today

Snowflake Lane, Bellevue, WA, Dec 2015

• 4 weeks later...