Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS X Mount

dv.

One thing that bothers me now: In Burb's picture, there's a clearly shaped 6-sided lens flare. Samyang wrote on their product page that they have a "rounded aperture". So based on that picture, I guess they don't?

I looked to Samyang 8mm fisheye, it has the same aperture 6-blades behaviour. It's perfectly rounded when full open (2.8), become "reasonably rounded" when closed to 4, and after 8 it looks like perfect hex-shaped. I believe both 12mm and 8mm lens share the same aperture design.

I don't know, why so hard to make apertures with more blades. Even Zeiss can do it.  :)

In late August I was a few days in Malta, for the wedding of my cousin... and of course I went there with my lovely Samyang 12mm :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thx for the quick reply Burb. I asume you were talking about the seven5 polarizer. Do you have a sample photo of how bad is the vignetting with the polarizer?

Have you ever tried another circular polarizer placed between the lens and the holder ?

I've made a couple of shots of my very photogenic wall ;) at apertures of 2/8 and 22. At f2 you'll have the softes corners.

Maybe, with some experimenting, it's possible to remove the front slot and get the polarizer closer to the lens but for now I deal with it. I do not own any other polarizer to test in between the lens and Seven5 filter holder.  

I've made a couple of shots of my very photogenic wall ;) at apertures of 2/8 and 22. At f2 you'll have the softes corners.

Maybe, with some experimenting, it's possible to remove the front slot and get the polarizer closer to the lens but for now I deal with it. I do not own any other polarizer to test in between the lens and Seven5 filter holder.  

Thx for the photos, that's a very...adorable walls. 

The vignetting looks bad, but I can always crop it. Thx Burb 

Just came back from my vacation in Spain.  Wanted to share some of the images I took with the samyang 12mm.  There are more to come, as these were from the first day of the trip only. Hope you all like them.

These were taken at Seu Vella in Lleida, Spain.  This is a cathedral from the 13th century that was turned into military barracs later on and used for this purpose for some 200 years.

21663846728_dc894987f6_c.jpgCloister of Seu Vella, Lleida, Spain by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

21825574516_eff63800a6_c.jpgCloister of Seu Vella, Lleida, Spain by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

21228952394_0ce71e421a_c.jpgCloister of Seu Vella, Lleida, Spain by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

21861508411_1fc3a9e141_c.jpgLa Seu Vella, Lleida, Spain by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

Got mine yesterday. So far, I can say:

- Heavy vignetting full open

- Prone to flare

- Focus ring is damped too hard on mine at least

- Aperture ring is perfect

- Build quality, despite its all-plastic-on-the-outside - build is good. Not as good as the Fujinons, but good. The only thing I hate is the plastic filter thread, they could just have molded an aluminium ring into the body during the injection molding process.

- The metal lens mount is great.

- Lens hood works.

- F/2.0 at 12 mm in such a small package: great!

- Somehow, it renders everything very very cool. Not a big problem for me since I sort out my pictures with Capture One Pro anyway, and can do a simple white balance adjustment there. I was just surprised by the difference to the Fujinon lenses.

- I really enjoy the short close focus distance that can be extended a bit further by closing the aperture. Not what I bought this lens for, but nice to have.

- The 6-sided, only slightly rounded aperture, together with the lens being prone to flare is a lot of fun, for me. I always wanted to do that.

- Again, the 6-sided, only slightly rounded aperture produces starbursts at F/4 already! And other than the 7-bladed Fujinon apertures, which produce starbursts with 14 very thin rays, this one "smears" more, and produces 6 very wide rays which is cool, too. I like it.

I really like that lens already just after one day of playing around, and I think it will get a permanent place in my camera bag for the next weeks. In about one week from now, I'll be way up in the northern hemisphere and will try to do astrostuff with this lens.

Oh and ahm, a picture:

Orchid Blossoms close up

1:1 crop from above

I think that we would all be surprised if there would be anyway to compare this lens to any super wide Fuji lens if they were both shot an another camera which would not have the aid of using all the hidden correction which the processor does alter knowing which lens it is.

In other words my hypothesis ( yet to be verified) is that we would see many things that we are not seeing because the software of original Fuji lenses corrects it.

The focus ring on mine is also heavily damped. It bothered me at first, but now I like it because the focus setting just stays put when using hyperfocal techniques. From the Andromeda galaxy to .5m is only about 2cm on the focus scale - so you are never far from where you need to be. And the damping keeps one from "overshooting" the mark. 

@Sluw, also @Patrick FR,

I agree, this forum has shown a definite proclivity to the overlapping of many threads ( Duplicate threads with virtually the same theme, duplicate images posts in different threads without a clear reason to do that, duplicate text posts, threads started to publish one picture only.......) 

This is in my opinion a phenomenon which could indeed be better addressed now, at this stage, by the administrators in order to prevent future problems. Later on it will be impossible, even now it will take several days to fix it.

It is not a problem now that the forum is young and there are relatively few threads, with a little patience you can find what you are looking for, but, sometime down the line when you want to find something that has been buried in the archives and it will be all mixed up in a big entangled ball it will be impossible to do that.

Which then makes one question also why to keep everything for future reference if at some stage finding it back will be next to impossible.

Overlapping or duplicate content is a a problem - but I'm not sure if it is a big one...

We are not going to do is to comb through all existing content to fix it now.

Two reasons: Too much time need (which we do not have) and in my experience members hate if „their“ content is touched or moved or deleted.

For future threads you can help us:

Please send us a short notice or use the report link under all posts and tell us if something's not in the right place.

Regarding threads with only one image:

Completely OK in my eyes. In most of the communities I'm moderating this is the default.

And threads with image contributions are the exception.

HTH

Andreas

You call the shots, I have obviously a different perception, other than yours but you own the forum, I don’t.

Aside from involving myself even more than I do already ( and I am not going to that, because if you don’t have time neither have I ), I don’t know that it is possible later on, unless enforcing stringent rules, to avoid having many duplicates open on a certain popular topics, since that happens every time someone on a whim decided to open yet a new thread on the 35mm or you name it... without checking whether there is one already open.

I thought that at this stage things could be still done, as I said, later on anyone  attempting to put order in all of this will collapse under the sheer weight of the mass of data to be put together.

Now thongs could still be fixed but, yes, though manageable now, it is a lit of work, later on it will be impossible.

So, I suppose that things will have to be and stay like this since you don’t take the view that this situation is conducive to an enormous amount of clutter.  I always tell my wife than having things in the attic without any label or in 10 different boxes is like not having them.

After all, since you pay for the space, it is your choice whether to have many “ boxes" with a few items inside or fewer "boxes “ with many items inside. Your forum, your work, your money.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's 1 from today...

12mm and Lee Big stopper 4.3 sec exposure