Is the Fugi XT1 really water proof, and the 18-135 lens waterproof???

Sharana

Cheers, despite the Fuji love, the Nikon coolpix aw 130 outperforms, and by quite a bit in terms of depth, even the best of the Fuji underwater compacts the XP 80 which only reaches 17,5m.

30m maximum is a good depth for most people with advanced open water diving experience. A camera like this gives you a decent safety extra even if you are not normally diving that deep because your divemaster might decide that day to dive past 15m and then, what are you going to do? Risk your camera or leave it on the surface?

I can guarantee you that in places like the Red Sea, unless you are doing introduction dives or snorkeling only, you will always dive past 15m.

well, there are many ways to do may things, as least as many as there are people out there.

Diving with a large case like the Meikon is a very different commitment. I’d rather have a compact camera and dive free of all the hustle and bustle, than having the bulk of a case with me.

I rather dive for the sake of diving than for documentary purposes though.

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gDx2Hua_Og

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1llHxR_RRs

Note there are XP series point-and-shoot compacts from Fujifilm, with lot of protections - against water, dust, shock, and freezing temperatures. Claimed, at least.

Thanks so much I will compare, I always thought that these type of cameras were all the same or very similar..  Of course I will not be using it underwater.  The specs always seemed the same whatever the brand.  But then there is quality, which I did not look closely at.  I will look at the Fuji XP series and the Nikon.  Great suggestion!!  Thanks very much!!!!!

Sharana

Or the Nikon.

Thank you very, very much!  I thought all the underwater cameras were about the same.  I will not be scuba diving of course.  I am going to check out the Nikon and the Fugi XP!  That is very nice of you to suggest it.  Thanks for your time CRAusmus!!!!

Sharana

nikon-aw130bkfront34rlow.jpg

I'd still rather have the Fuji though...

When I think of the XP80, I think of snorkeling, paddle boarding, water skiing, kayaking, etc.

If I was diving, I'd want a housing for my X-T1.  Nothing else would suffice...

Since I am not diving, I don't know how much difference it really makes between the Nikon and FujiXP series vs. the olympus I have.  I will need to research the image quality.

THANKS!!!!!

Cheers, despite the Fuji love, the Nikon coolpix aw 130 outperforms, and by quite a bit in terms of depth, even the best of the Fuji underwater compacts the XP 80 which only reaches 17,5m.

30m maximum is a good depth for most people with advanced open water diving experience. A camera like this gives you a decent safety extra even if you are not normally diving that deep because your divemaster might decide that day to dive past 15m and then, what are you going to do? Risk your camera or leave it on the surface?

I can guarantee you that in places like the Red Sea, unless you are doing introduction dives or snorkeling only, you will always dive past 15m.

THANKS Milandro, I will compare the olympus with the nikon coolpix aw 130 and the Fuji XP series to see if much difference with image quality for photo taking above water.   I hope this helps others also, appreciate your time!!!!

Sharana

My pleasure Sharana.

We are all different and have different needs for different cameras and some people don’t even need a camera :) , If you are not going to use it under water you can get away with a very much cheaper model. I would mostly use it under water therefore that would be for me the most important point.

THANKS Milandro, I will compare the olympus with the nikon coolpix aw 130 and the Fuji XP series to see if much difference with image quality for photo taking above water.   I hope this helps others also, appreciate your time!!!!

Sharana

I think the Olympus are very nice too.  I think, like you that these cameras are all very close to the same.  You may have a few modes or controls that you don't get with other, or one may be rated with a higher IP rating, but if you're not diving, and you are happy with your results you have now, then I'd just stay where you are.

I think it would be cool though if Fuji made something like the AW1 that Nikon makes.  A camera that one of the most extreme photographers I know of uses on a regular basis and absolutely loves.  An interchangeable lens camera that has IP rating, at or near the AW1 by Nikon, would be so awesome to have by Fuji.

I think the Olympus are very nice too.  I think, like you that these cameras are all very close to the same.  You may have a few modes or controls that you don't get with other, or one may be rated with a higher IP rating, but if you're not diving, and you are happy with your results you have now, then I'd just stay where you are.

I think it would be cool though if Fuji made something like the AW1 that Nikon makes.  A camera that one of the most extreme photographers I know of uses on a regular basis and absolutely loves.  An interchangeable lens camera that has IP rating, at or near the AW1 by Nikon, would be so awesome to have by Fuji.

Thanks, makes sense, I really did not study them, but they did seem similar.  I will check out the Nikon AW1.  I appreciate again so much your help !! This is my first time using the forum, you and everyone were so helpful!!  I am just now reading the different between MultiQuote and quote. I also wanted to thank others, and not certain I did it correctly.  Maybe I will try MutiQuote just to be certain.

Sharana

Note there are XP series point-and-shoot compacts from Fujifilm, with lot of protections - against water, dust, shock, and freezing temperatures. Claimed, at least.

Thanks very much Vidalgo, I will investigate Fujifilm, never thought of it or knew they had one!!

Thanks very much for your time and help!!!

Sharana

There were some people that were not so fortunate. Their X-T1 + 18-135 failed after two hours in the rain. That was the reason I asked Fuji rep about WR.

Thanks so very, very much for asking.

I don't think I will use it in the rain again.  I used it once in a medium size rain, and was confident.

But now, not so much.  Guess I was lucky!

THANKS

Sharana

When I think of the XP80, I think of snorkeling, paddle boarding, water skiing, kayaking, etc.

If I was diving, I'd want a housing for my X-T1.  Nothing else would suffice...

Thanks makes sense, I do not plan on diving, so will remain with my Fuji with dry weather and the Olympus for the rain

Appreciate your time!!

Sharana

Unfortunately the camera that many would really need for this kind of applications, and it is no longer been made, is a camera which is compact, completely waterproof, usable underwater and in air, and allows at least a limited amount of interchangeable lenses.

Something like the much missed Nikonos. 

The camera evolved from the original “ Calypso “ a special camera made originally by the French Spirotechnique and designed by the Belgian Jean de Wouters for Jacques Cousteau and his crew and it was later absorbed and further evolved by Nikon into the Nikonos.

clumsy though it is, if someone has a X-T1 and wants to use it under heavy rain conditions and not risk his camera they might use the cheap Meikon underwater case or the more technical and expensive Nauticam.

To add a few more details, while I was never under such a downpour, I do travel to Asia on regular basis and because of the heat and moisture all around, I can vouch that the X-T1 with the 18-135 lens are perfectly able to tackle that weather condition without any hitch, just make sure to not change your lens outside of your hotel room, specially in very humid areas.

That aside, Nikon AW series and the Olympus Tough series are both very good compact rugged cameras for pretty much anything you would want to travel but the fixed lens can be impacting on usability.

But the Nikon AW1 kind of fixes that since it's one of the only rugged cameras that can swap lenses, granted there are only 2 at this moment, but Nikon has been quite diligent lately and registered half a dozen of patents for the Nikon 1 series along a wide angle zoom for the AW1.

To add a few more details, while I was never under such a downpour, I do travel to Asia on regular basis and because of the heat and moisture all around, I can vouch that the X-T1 with the 18-135 lens are perfectly able to tackle that weather condition without any hitch, just make sure to not change your lens outside of your hotel room, specially in very humid areas.

That aside, Nikon AW series and the Olympus Tough series are both very good compact rugged cameras for pretty much anything you would want to travel but the fixed lens can be impacting on usability.

But the Nikon AW1 kind of fixes that since it's one of the only rugged cameras that can swap lenses, granted there are only 2 at this moment, but Nikon has been quite diligent lately and registered half a dozen of patents for the Nikon 1 series along a wide angle zoom for the AW1.

Hi  darknj!

Thanks, I do have the Olympus Tough, older model. Wish it had more optical zoom, 5x. They are all 5X.  However, guess I will stay with it because the high price of the Nikon. Glad that you agree the Olympus Tough series is good.  That is encouraging, since I never really compared it with others.  Seemed about the best when I bought it 5-6 years ago.

Thanks very much for the time and help in your comment!

Sharana

Unfortunately the camera that many would really need for this kind of applications, and it is no longer been made, is a camera which is compact, completely waterproof, usable underwater and in air, and allows at least a limited amount of interchangeable lenses.

Something like the much missed Nikonos. 

The camera evolved from the original “ Calypso “ a special camera made originally by the French Spirotechnique and designed by the Belgian Jean de Wouters for Jacques Cousteau and his crew and it was later absorbed and further evolved by Nikon into the Nikonos.

NIKONOS-ALL2.jpg

Hi Milandro,

That is very interesting, you certainly know how to research!  It is interesting, imagine it is expensive.  I have the 18-135, so would not work anyway. It looks like a good case!

Thank you so much for all your help!!

The best to you always!

Sharana

clumsy though it is, if someone has a X-T1 and wants to use it under heavy rain conditions and not risk his camera they might use the cheap Meikon underwater case or the more technical and expensive Nauticam.

Meikon-Waterproof-130ft-40m-Underwater-W

na-17151-2.jpg

Well Sharana, it is generally easier to find things when you know their name or at least what they are before you look for them  ;) . So in other words, it is easy to find something if you know what you are looking for.

Underwater, generally, there is little to no use for long focal lenses, in fact short is the word, so my guess it is that you won’t ever find a case for the 18-135mm but weirder things are known to have happened.

The Meikon is for the 18-55mm.

However the Meikon is not expensive , about €250. 

Well Sharana, it is generally easier to find things when you know their name or at least what they are before you look for them  ;) . So in other words, it is easy to find something if you know what you are looking for.

Underwater, generally, there is little to no use for long focal lenses, in fact short is the word, so my guess it is that you won’t ever find a case for the 18-135mm but weirder things are known to have happened.

The Meikon is for the 18-55mm.

However the Meikon is not expensive , about €250. 

You are right. I will remain with the Olympus for noe!  Thanks very much for ALL your help! I appreciate your time Milandro!!!

Sharana

• 2 weeks later...

Not only is the XT-1 not water proof (as others have said) but Fuji USA won't cover water damage under warrantee and in my case couldn't repair it either way. I lost my XT-1 to 2-3 hours of heavy rain during a trip where I only had one lens connected- the 18-135WR. After a lot of back and forth with the guys in New Jersey the best they could do was to give me a $100-200 discount over what I could get from B&H/Amazon so say goodby to $900 or so.

I hope the next pro Fuji does a better job including but not limited to that crappy rubber door on the side.

PS. The lens seems fine, it's been at least 6 months and it still works.

I got hit by ocean spray, and a lot of rain, whilst shooting freaky weather conditions (X-T1 and 16-55mm) and huge swells at Bondi Beach. My X-T1 operated fine until the next day, but then it started acting weirdly (turning itself off) and the ISO dial did not work. It was out of warranty but without any other choice, I sent it to Fujifilm Australia.

They not only cleaned out the water damage, replaced the affected components and serviced seals, but they did so out of warranty for Free!

My initial thoughts were:

1) Damn this is not a pro grade camera, unable to handle a decent dose of moisture

2) Maybe I should cut my losses and move back to a DSLR

After the service though:

3) My Fujifilm was just a poorly sealed one and they are in fact very weather sealed, else they would not have felt the need to repair it for free out of warranty

4) Fuji rocks and I will never leave them. Hence I am about to but the 50-140mm

Definitely not to repeat, especially not with a camera showing any signs of the bulging of the doors ( surely NOT water resistant !)

But I am happy that Mr. Magurean risked his camera to do the equivalent of the myth -buster’s tests ( or rather the opposite! :) )

It’s a visual hyperbole to prove the point that water, even lots of it, wouldn’t necessarily damage the camera. A NEW camera that is!

The other experiments with buckets of water and pouring rain are all closer to what most people would expose their camera to.

Even then I would be cautions if the camera is not new.

Though there are more people witnessing similar things as what Mr. Magurean did to his camera.

Read the account by Mr. Skyler Burt 

http://weeattogether.com/2741/fujifilm-x-t1-review-the-ultimate-weather-test/

“.My first big scare came when I decided to hang the Fujifilm X-T1 off the side of a fishing boat zooming around Muscat’s coast. Dangling overboard from my tripod, I felt the boat dip as a salty wave engulfed the black body of camera.

Shockwaves ran through me as I pondered the cost of my loaner Fujifilm X-T1 and due to the death of the camera, the end of my video on the first day of filming. I quickly wiped it dry with my shirt and lens cloth, acting calm, but inside my gut told me that death was coming for this poor little camera.

As I went to turn it on again, I expected my fears to come true, but the Fujifilm X-T1 fired up like nothing happened.  It took that wave like a champ, and I spent the rest of the day shooting slightly above water, splashes here and there, but not a complaint from the camera in the least..."

I suppose soon someone would try the “ desert”  sand and dirt test too. ( Maybe you don’t want to rent that particular camera... ;) ... It’s a Pentax after all :lol:  )

I'm a Fuji and Pentax user. I'm a huge fan of both brands, and I've owned a couple of other brands too. What do you mean by " ( Maybe you don’t want to rent that particular camera...  ;) ... It’s a Pentax after all  :lol:  )" ? I can tell, after owning two other brands of DSLR, Pentax is actually a lot better then what you are inferring. IQ is outstanding, and many lenses are sharper than L series. If I hadn't spent the time to research brands, and experience a fare few of them, I would have listened to the nay sayers and stuck with canon or Nikon. Same goes with Fuji too. You can go online and view video's or read material about Fuji, and they're writing Fuji off, like almost all the mirrorless systems .........They all scoff at mirrorless and encourage DSLR. Fuji is a fantastic brand with phenomenal lenses, and fantastic IQ. I've got an X-A1 for the low light performance with 16-50 and 50-230, and I'm planning on going deeper with Fuji perhaps with a X-T1 or X-T1ii. I'm keeping my Pentax gear too.

Regarding weather sealing- My old Pentax K-5 had 77 weather seals, and was rated as a weather sealed, and it is supposed to take a monsoonal downpour. My K-3 has 92 weather seals. My DA* lenses are supposedly rated as weather proofed, and again, can take a monsoonal downpour - they have a large rubber seal around the lens mount about 3mm thick. Pentax has a lower grade of "WR" weather resistant lenses also, they'll have a smaller silicon O-ring on the lens mount and they are of a rating like with Canon, Nikon and the others ...... rain drizzle, or light mist/humidity. Though people dip these lenses in mud and water too, and they survive but thats not what its designed for.

Your Fuji X-T1 has 80 seals and declared weather resistant, I can't find if it has an IP rating, Pentax doesn't give an IP rating either. The 18-135mm has a rubber O-ring around the mount, which looks okay. I once had a Nikon 60mm macro with a similar rubber O-ring, but the lens was only rated as dust sealed. I don't know how many seals the lens has, but to be sure, I would not take that set up out in a heavy downpour. Maybe in light rain, but not for extended periods. Keep it covered, and shoot a little, then cover it.

If Fuji has told you not to take it out in the rain, then they consider it weather sealed against dust and humidity. As a guide, your Sony experia Z smart phones are water resistant, to "x" amount of meters but for only 30 minutes, and if you leave it under water any longer, the water gets in. Sony Z phones come with IP ratings.

I read an artical of a Nikon user who left his weather sealed D3 or D4 (i forget)  over night doing time lapse. A storm came over night, and the camera and lens filled up with water. Moral of the story, A little bit of water, it might be okay. A lot of water, it might die. If Fuji says don't take it out in the rain, then you should not. read your user manual, and it will be stated there.

highres-Fujifilm-XF-18-135mm-f3-5-5-6-R-

Page 115 of the Fuji X-T1 manual states: Not to use the camera in rain.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/x/fujifilm_xt1_manual_en.pdf

The Fuji website sates that the X-T1 is water resistant, but it does not talk about using it in rain, but rather talks about using it in "damp" conditions There's also an asterix saying please refer to your user manual :

https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/interchangeable-lens-cameras/model/x-t1/features/tough-weather-resistant-design/

Where as the Ricoh site clearly states that the cameras and DA* lenses can be used in rain:

http://support.us.ricoh-imaging.com/node/1282

Thats the kind of thing you want to hear ! Now that I've read up on it, I'm a little disappointed, but not put off all the same. I can't wait to see a fuji with 24mp, that will really unleash these lenses.

Mr.Magurean theo person who dipped his camera with lens on youtube confirms both camera and lens still work.

If you don’t believe me ask your self, but yes, you might not believe him.

I didn’t do it, he did.

Not waterproof but his camera survive the dipping that you see in the video. The Pentax survived too.