Is the Fugi XT1 really water proof, and the 18-135 lens waterproof???

Sharana

Hi All,

I would think this has been asked, but I could not or did not know how to find it. My apologizes for being new here and not knowing the way around yet.  I am very anxious to know the answer!

I have had the Fugi XT1 with 18-135 lens for a few months. One big question I ave is, is both the camera body and the 18-135 lens water proof?  I have heard and read different things from Calumet, books, and people.  I even called Fugi with another question, and I was cautioned to be careful with the rain, and basically my understanding was not to consider it waterproof. Also, Calumet told me that they would not risk water damage with such an expensive camera. Maybe people don't want to be considered liable if they would say yes, and rain damages it in some way.

I would not be so stupid to throw it in the water, use it in a LA torrential rain storm, or hurricane.  But I will be going to California and would love to know the answer here.  Also, just around home in Illinois, do I need to be careful?  Does a Filer make any difference?  My problem before with the NIkon, I had to put it away with the rain.  I bought this thinking the camera body and 18-135 lens was water proof.  I know not all lens are called water proof.

Maybe I have not asked the question clearly, and confused people.  Keeping it simple, Is the Fugi XT1 and 18-135 lens water proof, so I don't need to worry about any damage while using them in the rain or by the beach???

Does the amount of rain matter? This would be hard to measure.  To me the question is either water proof or not with the camera body and lens, how can there be any grey area?  I will not put it under a running facet to test it.

Thank you very much for your time and help!!!

Sharana

fugi?   :D  since you wrote it everywhere ( title and text in several paces) it should’t be a typo and there’s probably a joke there though I am not sure which one it is  :wacko: others have done that too, must be a common thing which I had never seen before

Dunking a camera in a creek is a rather extreme way to demonstrate that it is a Weather Resistant combination of camera and lens, aparently it is.

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m35MqUersU

of course one wants to see whether the camera works this approach is less radical but convincing 

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3FfMCE2Ww

fugi?   :D  since you wrote it everywhere ( title and text in several paces) it should’t be a typo and there’s probably a joke there though I am not sure which one it is  :wacko:

Dunking a camera in a creek is a rather extreme way to demonstrate that it is a Weather Resistant combination of camera and lens

What happened next...?

Besides, it's nowhere written that the X-T1 + a WR lens combinations are waterproof.

As far as I know it means just weather resistant.

well, the other video shows a less radical approach and the camera working after that treatment which answers the question which OP made, don’t you think?

The first video was published 5 months ago and the maker of the video apparently a Romanian or Moldovan ( judging by the language he uses) photographer Alexandru Magurean, answered that the camera and lens worked and still works only a week ago

Alexandru Magurean one week ago

next episode.. :) By the way, camera still working fine...

Anyway there are always a certain amount incredulous Thomas’ and they can do the experiment themselves. I looked for several ‘Proofs’ on line and lo and behold, there they are, Look at this!

Read all about it!

It seems to work even under heavy rain:

Dear Patrick,

Well this is certainly a very interesting and convincing video.  He was very brave and daring to try the experiment, but made a VERy good point!!  There was much rain, so it made it the more convincing! I do hope his expensive camera is still working.  Thank you so much for sharing this helpful video.  I did look at my sources again.  It talks about Fuji being weather and dust sealed,  though states above Weather-Resistant body, in the book by Tony Phillips.  The sealed and weather resistant confused me..  In the Aug 2015 issue of Outdoor Photograper, an article talks about the Fuji being weather sealed.  I listened to the Fugi Guys again they mention weather resistant, not water proof. They go on to say however that there are no issues in weather.  What exactly does that mean??  It is unclear to me, sounds contradictory.  I did test my Fuji in some rain, though not a down pour, when vacationing in the West.  It did get very wet, and is still working. I was very hesitant, but wanted to find out.  This video is very convincing!  Thanks so much for sharing it and the time in writing Patrick!!!!  You were a great help!

Sharana

What happened next...?

Besides, it's nowhere written that the X-T1 + a WR lens combinations are waterproof.

As far as I know it means just weather resistant.

Hi Milandro!!!

You are right, I stated in my above answer some confusion on my part when people mention weather sealed and weather resistant in the same article. The Fuji Guy on their video state weather resistant, weather sealed, no issues in the weather. It all sounds a bit confusing, but they are not coming out and committing themselves. I will find the video and send a link!

Thank you very much for this amazing demonstration!  I don't think too many people would try this extreme experiment, but again it makes a point.

I certainly appreciate very much your writing and time Milandro.  It was very nice and helpful of you!!!

Sharana

Hi Milandro!!!

You are right, I stated in my above answer some confusion on my part when people mention weather sealed and weather resistant in the same article. The Fuji Guy on their video state weather resistant, weather sealed, no issues in the weather. It all sounds a bit confusing, but they are not coming out and committing themselves. I will find the video and send a link!

Thank you very much for this amazing demonstration!  I don't think too many people would try this extreme experiment, but again it makes a point.

I certainly appreciate very much your writing and time Milandro.  It was very nice and helpful of you!!!

Sharana

Here is the video by the Fuji guys, it is mentioned in the beginning  about the water resistance and being sealed. 

I suspect Fuji would strongly recommend against total immersion of the X-T1. To my knowledge they make no claims that the camera is waterproof. It is designed to be safely used in the rain and cold, not underwater. The parking lot video illustrates the intended design goals of the camera (except for the part where he wipes the lens with his shirt). If the camera in the creek video survived repeated dunkings that speaks very well for it but I wouldn't do it.

Definitely not to repeat, especially not with a camera showing any signs of the bulging of the doors ( surely NOT water resistant !)

But I am happy that Mr. Magurean risked his camera to do the equivalent of the myth -buster’s tests ( or rather the opposite! :) )

It’s a visual hyperbole to prove the point that water, even lots of it, wouldn’t necessarily damage the camera. A NEW camera that is!

The other experiments with buckets of water and pouring rain are all closer to what most people would expose their camera to.

Even then I would be cautions if the camera is not new.

Though there are more people witnessing similar things as what Mr. Magurean did to his camera.

Read the account by Mr. Skyler Burt 

http://weeattogether.com/2741/fujifilm-x-t1-review-the-ultimate-weather-test/

“.My first big scare came when I decided to hang the Fujifilm X-T1 off the side of a fishing boat zooming around Muscat’s coast. Dangling overboard from my tripod, I felt the boat dip as a salty wave engulfed the black body of camera.

Shockwaves ran through me as I pondered the cost of my loaner Fujifilm X-T1 and due to the death of the camera, the end of my video on the first day of filming. I quickly wiped it dry with my shirt and lens cloth, acting calm, but inside my gut told me that death was coming for this poor little camera.

As I went to turn it on again, I expected my fears to come true, but the Fujifilm X-T1 fired up like nothing happened.  It took that wave like a champ, and I spent the rest of the day shooting slightly above water, splashes here and there, but not a complaint from the camera in the least..."

I suppose soon someone would try the “ desert”  sand and dirt test too. ( Maybe you don’t want to rent that particular camera... ;) ... It’s a Pentax after all :lol:  )

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

The Fuji is water RESISTANT.  Meaning you can get it wet with rain and snow and it "should" be ok.  The lenses with the WR designation are also water-RESISTANT.  None of the equipment will survive a dunking of course.

With that being said I used my X-E1 and 18-55, of which NEITHER was WR in rain, snow, sleet and around salt water.

I've used my 18-55 and my X-T1 in the same weather; no problems.  My grandson smacked my 18-55 and X-T1 with a full load from water canon last summer directly at the lens and again everything still functions.  Though, I did have to remove the lens and dry the water that seeped in between the lens and the body!  No big deal.

I do believe these Fuji's, as I'm certain other brands are rather robust.  Even though I love Fuji I won't be a fanboy and say that only fuji will be this rugged.  

I just spent ten days in and around salt water, sand, and rain with zero ill-effects on ANY of my lenses or my X-T1. I have the details in my blog.

The Fuji is water RESISTANT.  Meaning you can get it wet with rain and snow and it "should" be ok.  The lenses with the WR designation are also water-RESISTANT.  None of the equipment will survive a dunking of course.

With that being said I used my X-E1 and 18-55, of which NEITHER was WR in rain, snow, sleet and around salt water.

I've used my 18-55 and my X-T1 in the same weather; no problems.  My grandson smacked my 18-55 and X-T1 with a full load from water canon last summer directly at the lens and again everything still functions.  Though, I did have to remove the lens and dry the water that seeped in between the lens and the body!  No big deal.

I do believe these Fuji's, as I'm certain other brands are rather robust.  Even though I love Fuji I won't be a fanboy and say that only fuji will be this rugged.  

I just spent ten days in and around salt water, sand, and rain with zero ill-effects on ANY of my lenses or my X-T1. I have the details in my blog.

I haven’t tried to put my camera and lens under water and I won’t do that,  however, the two experiences that I’ve quoted above seem to contradict the ( double!) statement “ None of the equipment will survive a dunking of course”.

And, methinks, unless one has done this oneself , one should at least give the benefit of the doubt to those who say they did ( although we don’t have evidence of the camera working in the first case and of the camera being submerged in the second case).

WR is Weather Resistant not Water Resistant. Just take a look on the Fuji Sites ;) 

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/interchangeable-lens-cameras/model/x-t1/features/tough-weather-resistant-design/

This is how all Manufacturers to it. They can use it for marketing, but since there is no IP5x/IP6x/IP7x certificate, it's just marketing. 

There are some seals and you can shoot in the rain, next to a waterfall or (as shown) but in in the water for a short period of time. But if you damage it, Fuji (or any other manufaturer) is not obligated to repair it. 

Sorry, missed some of this earlier.  I most certainly appreciate everyone's comments!!!!!  I think after reading the very helpful comments, about the certificate, and talking with the fuji staff, I will not be using it in the rain.  It does seem unfortunately it could be a marketing ploy.  However, the people who tried it under water and in the heavy rain, were very fortunate.  I don't think I will try my luck with a $2000.00 camera, as Calumet told me when I bought it.  It does state weather resistant, with some water sealed parts.  That confused me. I have given it more thought because of everyone's comments.  I think I will stick with my $200.00 underwater olympus camera for the rain.  This is what I have done before, and the pics are not so bad.  That way I will not worry!  

Thank you everyone for your time, insight, and concern in this matter.  I have appreciated everyone's help immensely!!!!!  You all are the BEST!!!!

Sharana

However, the people who tried it under water and in the heavy rain, were very fortunate.

There were some people that were not so fortunate. Their X-T1 + 18-135 failed after two hours in the rain. That was the reason I asked Fuji rep about WR.

I think I will stick with my $200.00 underwater olympus camera for the rain.  This is what I have done before, and the pics are not so bad.  That way I will not worry! 

Note there are XP series point-and-shoot compacts from Fujifilm, with lot of protections - against water, dust, shock, and freezing temperatures. Claimed, at least.