Capture One, DxO, X Raw Studio

I used DxO when I had Pentax kit and the original X100, but moved to Capture One when I got the X-T4 with the X-Trans sensor. 

I still prefer the results of DxO, I feel that it's Clearview & Smart Lighting tools are far far superior to the only just introduced De-Haze tool on Capture One.  Overall, I feel DxO livens up an image a lot better than Capture One.

So, today I used Fuji X Raw Studio to convert RAW files into 16-bit TIFF files, which I was then able to edit in DxO and output to JPEG.

One issue is that the TIFF file is 155MB compared to the RAW 52MB, but assuming you don't want to edit the TIFF file again you can just delete it.

Has anyone else tried this out, and have you encountered any issues and problems???

The one thing to keep in mind is that X RAW Studio can only process files made with that specific type of camera. So, whenever you trade-in your X-T4 to a future 'X-T5', you can no longer process your X-T4 files in X RAW Studio connected to your new X-T5. For that reason you might want to hang on to your TIFF-files.

I use LR for minimal adjustments and mostly for the digital asset management.  I have over 250,000 images in LR right now.  However, I use Capture One Pro for 95% of all my editing needs.  My jpegs (from my GFX50r) are 40mb, and the TIFF's from raw are 310mb in size.  My XT files are much smaller.

I have folders set up in LR (which are actually on my desktop) where I drop files into.  Then I open C1Pro and sync that folder which I have set as a preset in C1Pro.  Once I'm done processing in C1, I export into another folder called "Roundtrip from C1Pro which is also a default in C1pro and in LR.  Back in LR, I then synch that folder and any jpegs and tiffs I generated are dropped in there.  I can then move the finished images to the library for cataloging, keywording etc.  Sounds complicated but I have it setup automatically and it works flawlessly for me.

Hope this helps.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:55 PM, jlmphotos said:

I use LR for minimal adjustments and mostly for the digital asset management.  I have over 250,000 images in LR right now.  However, I use Capture One Pro for 95% of all my editing needs.  My jpegs (from my GFX50r) are 40mb, and the TIFF's from raw are 310mb in size.  My XT files are much smaller.

I have folders set up in LR (which are actually on my desktop) where I drop files into.  Then I open C1Pro and sync that folder which I have set as a preset in C1Pro.  Once I'm done processing in C1, I export into another folder called "Roundtrip from C1Pro which is also a default in C1pro and in LR.  Back in LR, I then synch that folder and any jpegs and tiffs I generated are dropped in there.  I can then move the finished images to the library for cataloging, keywording etc.  Sounds complicated but I have it setup automatically and it works flawlessly for me.

Hope this helps.

This is interesting. Similar to you, I have close to 300K images cataloged in LR as I have yet to find a better database. I'm diligent about key-wording so I can find any image or shoot I need in a second or two.

I start my workflow in Photo Mechanic for a couple reasons: 1. It's super fast. 2. When key-wording and rating in PM, it writes to both the RAW and JPEG (I shoot raw+jpeg) which the LR import module does not do.

I plan to try a migration of my LR images to ON1 Photo Raw and C1 to see how they do. Based on others' experiences I sort of expect C1 to fail but in talking with ON1 I think Photo Raw should be able to handle it. The question is how it will perform once there are a few hundred thousand images cataloged. I'll post my results here once I do it.

So do you do your culling and rating in C1 along with the editing? And then move them to your "Roundtrip" folder for subsequent import/cataloging into LR?

Thanks for the input.

Happy shooting!
Joel

H Joel,

I do ALL my preliminary culling in LR first.  Quick pass through.  The ones I'm not sure about, I'll round-trip to C1 and then I'll edit them in C1.  I'll then bring them back to LR where I'll make a final determination as to the keepers.  I also keyword extensively as I sell enlargements, as well quite a bit of stock every year.

Thanks

J

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rene Theberge said:

DxO just announced that the new update announced a few days ago their new update will support X-trans files.

https://www.fujirumors.com/dxo-photolab-5-and-filmpack-6-released-with-support-for-fujifilm-x-trans-sensor-cameras/

Downloaded it last night.  Quick open shows it DOES handle my .RAF files quite well.  Now for the "Learning Curve".  :)