XT4 Film great, stills washed out and blurred

Danstall

Hello,

Totally new to photography. Got an XT4 as entry point wanting to learn.

As a starting point I've just used everything on auto. Set stills to highest quality (but not using RAW).

When I take film, it's awesome great quality, just what I'd expect. If I take a still of the same scene the results are totally different. Colours way less vivid, almost washed out and cropping loses quality quickly, like it's way lower res. 

I've scoured the internet for what I'm doing wrong - but I'm out of my depth very quickly. I was just expecting 'decent' images with everything auto. Most tutorials I've watched don't really explore everything auto.

Using a Fujion XF 18-55mm Lens.

Any guidance on where to start?

Many thanks!

PC

Edited by Danstall
Typo

• Danstall changed the title to XT4 Film great, stills washed out and blurred

Couple of most likely settings.

Re. sharpness/blurriness: set the AF mode to AF-S (front of camera) and in the AF menu the AF mode to single point. Now take a photo with one object in the center covered by the green focus box. That object should be tack sharp in the photo unless your shutter speed is really low (below 1/30th). In the IQ menu set the image size to L 3:2 and the image quality to F or F+RAW.

Re. washed-out colors: press the Q button - set the film simulation to STD (Provia) and make sure that color is set to 0. S-Tone and H-Tone should be no more than -1 or +1 and switch Grain off. Make sure that you set White Balance to Auto, the aperture and shutter speed ring to A and switch on Auto ISO.

With these settings you should at least get 'normal' images. You have to check these on your computer. The LCD on the camera is not very accurate. If you did check the images on the LCD make sure that in the Set Up menu under Screen Set Up, the LCD brightness and color are set to 0.

14 hours ago, Herco said:

Couple of most likely settings.

Re. sharpness/blurriness: set the AF mode to AF-S (front of camera) and in the AF menu the AF mode to single point. Now take a photo with one object in the center covered by the green focus box. That object should be tack sharp in the photo unless your shutter speed is really low (below 1/30th). In the IQ menu set the image size to L 3:2 and the image quality to F or F+RAW.

Re. washed-out colors: press the Q button - set the film simulation to STD (Provia) and make sure that color is set to 0. S-Tone and H-Tone should be no more than -1 or +1 and switch Grain off. Make sure that you set White Balance to Auto, the aperture and shutter speed ring to A and switch on Auto ISO.

With these settings you should at least get 'normal' images. You have to check these on your computer. The LCD on the camera is not very accurate. If you did check the images on the LCD make sure that in the Set Up menu under Screen Set Up, the LCD brightness and color are set to 0.

Many thanks - something worked as it is much better now.

• 2 weeks later...

You can set the colors of your stills to your liking: Chose film simulation (example: vivid), chose contrast (example: highlights +1, shadows +1), chose color (+1??).

Question-Marks because I think that's not necessary. Probably "Someone" chose filmsimulation PRO Neg. Standard for you. Or "Advanced" and some weird setting is opted on your camera.