Lens: XF14mm or XF16mm or XF16-55... hard question...

Hello! I'm the happy owner of an X-T1 and XF14mm and I was thinking to buy the XF35mm 1.4 for street photography. 

I use the XF14mm for architecture and landscape photography, but sometimes I use it for street photography but it's to wide...

Maybe XF16mm can be the solution? or is too close for city landscape? 

And what about XF16-55? Is it sharp as the other 2 lens? Can be a good instead of 2 lens?

Thanks fro your opinion! :rolleyes:

Hi, 

The first lens I got for fuji was the 35. My plan was to sell it when the 16-55 came out. After using it for a while there is no way I would part with it.

The 16-55 is incredibly sharp, but it just doesnt seem to have the "magic" of my old canon 24-70 lens, and also feels a bit slow now that I am used to 1.4 and also the 56 1.2.

I still always have it with me, but will only use it when I need to quickly change distances, otherwise its 35 of 56 all the way.

Hello! I'm the happy owner of an X-T1 and XF14mm and I was thinking to buy the XF35mm 1.4 for street photography.

I use the XF14mm for architecture and landscape photography, but sometimes I use it for street photography but it's to wide...

Maybe XF16mm can be the solution? or is too close for city landscape?

And what about XF16-55? Is it sharp as the other 2 lens? Can be a good instead of 2 lens?

Thanks fro your opinion! :rolleyes:

Why not the 18? It's small, cheap, unobtrusive, quite fast it's perfect for street imo

Ok let's put it in another way : you already have a 14mm. 16mm would not be _that_ different to really justify both.

On the other hand, 14mm and 18mm are different enough to justify it. One is ultra-wide, the other one only wide, kind of usual wide. Wide enough to zone-focus very easily, not too extremely wide that you must be 30cm off the face of a stranger to shoot it.

Now normally I'd say don't bother with the 18 and get the 18-55mm instead, the difference between f/2 and f/2.8 is really not that big when you add OIS to the equation BUT for street photography, if we mean the same thing, that is among other things shooting people fast because you see an interresting pattern / composition / light / behaviour / face / whatever without looking like a voyeur, the form factor of the 18mm helps a lot, plus you can hide your cam in a normal pocket to remain very discrete and just take it out and shoot quick when needed.

If by "street photography" you mean something else like shooting, duh, random people randomly walking in random streets without a real reason and converting to B&W to look like it's "street photography" then whatever.

• 2 weeks later...