XF35mmF2 Announcement Date Unveiled!

Patrick FR

I will definitely try it and have high expectations (Fuji - take care not to disappoint me!!!). What a standard Prime Focal length should deliver to me, is a nearly uniformly high contrast over the complete frame - also at full aperture. The 35f1.4 does not fulfill this expectation between 1.4 and 2.8.... To state clearly: in the history of SLR prime lenses, this was not very often achieved even in the past. Never by one of the Canon-, Nikon-, Sigma-breeds; Leica only with the APO-version of the Summicron f2.0, Yes - Zeiss with the Planar 2.0 and most convincing ancient OM-OLympus with the 50f2.0 Macro - and absolutly crazy: Olympus OM 50f1.2 (NOT the 55mm!) came closer to it than anybody else (at f2.0...!).

I will share my impressions a.s.a.p.

In reference to "A kind request", October 9, 2015. This may not be the best place for these comments but here goes anyway:

Partick, thanks for taking the time and effort to continually put this material together. Please know that for every hater out there, there are thousands of us interested and engaged, but too often silent, users who live in anticipation of the "what's next" information and discussion you provide. For me personally, it's the next big thing coming from Fuji (as I'm sure it is for Nikon, Canon, Olympus and other brand-loyal shooters for their own brand of choice).

I was a 30+ year Nikon shooter. I started taking pictures in the late 1980's with a Nikon L35AF point and shoot with fixed 35mm lens and at the end of my Nikon days had a D800, the holy trinity of zooms and a few choice primes in a Thintank backpack (great camera, great lenses, no question but it became a chore for me personally to take pictures).

Then in 2013, myself and my wife were going on vacation and the backpack full of gear just wasn't going to make the trip so I did some research, bought the X100S and took it as my only camera. I haven't looked back. In late 2014 I sold the Nikon gear and the X100s to buy X-T1 kit (with some substantial cash remaining in my pocket). I love the Fuji lenses and I like the X-T1 but I do miss the format of the X100S so I'm waiting in great anticipation for the X-Pro2 announcement.

And while I'm a devoted Fuji user now, even with the firmware update the auto focus performance (speed and accuracy) of the X-T1 isn't anywhere close to that of my former D800. But that's OK too as my shooting is different now. Everyone should buy the camera and gear for the pictures they take and if those needs change over time, change you camera or system. I don't get these people who live for the "yours is crap" or mine is better than yours" discussions.

Anyway, know that there are lot's of us out here visiting the site, the forums, the Facebook page etc who read and enjoy the content on a daily basis. Keep up the good work!

As discussed in another thread, a 35mm (or thereabouts) lens at f/1.0, f/1.4 and f/2 are quite different beasts. Just take a look at the Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux, f/1.4 Summilux, and f/2.0 Summicron and their published MTF plots. 

The f/2 is always going to be lighter, inexpensive and sharper than a f/1.0 lens, a bit like Canon 50mm f/1.8 "nifty fifty". Any Noctilux type of f/1.0 lens will be a specialty lens that is heavier, much more expensive, and yet it will compromise on acutance to gain its light gathering performance. Making lenses faster and faster does not necessarily mean that their entire performance gets better and better across the board for all measured parameters. The f/1.4 will have a combination of a reasonable price plus excellent light gathering ability.

I will definitely try it and have high expectations (Fuji - take care not to disappoint me!!!). What a standard Prime Focal length should deliver to me, is a nearly uniformly high contrast over the complete frame - also at full aperture. The 35f1.4 does not fulfill this expectation between 1.4 and 2.8....

I too am keenly looking forward to the XF f2/35mm; primarily for its 'weatherization' feature. I am a lens collector and just love my OM glass. The Zuiko f1.2/50mm and the f2/100mm are my all time favorites. You are right about the Zuiko f2/50mm Macro. It is a brilliant lens and it is the only Zuiko 50mm variation I don't own. But I am on the look-out for a "mint+" copy with box, manuals, hood, and filter-set. Of course, money is an object!

My OM Collection: https://flic.kr/p/xub9Xe

My favourite OM glass: https://flic.kr/p/q3MULL

Hi there,

I think I am missing the point. Why is Fuji making a 35mmF2 when there is already 35mmF1.4 ?

Isn't the F1.4 a faster lens ? Why add a slower lens into the system ? If anything, shouldn't Fuji come out with 35mmF0.95 ?

Why they still make XF 18-55 when there is XF 16-50/2.8?

Why they still make XC 50-230 when there is XF 55-200?

The answer is simple: for you to have a choice.

well, you don’t have to have a choice “per se” but choice is one of the many aspects of a market economy ( I remember a trip to Jugoslavia in 1976 when we went to an ice cream parlor and I asked which flavors they had and the vendor informed me that ice cream came into one flavor, vanilla)   but in order to get as much money as possible from someone’s pocket all manners of companies differentiate their production in products that are, often, very similar but have different prices or are targeted to different people so that each buys what’s most suited to them and some buy something that wouldn’t otherwise have bought at all!

So, for example, the 55-200, which was actually made before the 50-230, costs twice as much as the other so, obviously, they appeal to different markets. I have little use for long lenses and would I have not found the 50-230 for €200 I wouldn’t have bought anything at all in that range and would have been happy with the 60mm as my longest lens but I did shed a few bucks which I would otherwise kept in my pocket.

This new 35mm is obviously different from the other.

It is weather resistant ( which may or may not be a reason to some to buy it when they wouldn’t have bought the 35 f1.4).

It might be faster focussing ( but we don’t know that yet) and it might be more silent ( although my copy of the 35mm f 1.4 was so silent that it allowed me to shoot pictures during the recording of a CD ) both things were cause of complaints about the f1.4

It might have an even better optical performance ... who knows! We only need to wait, I am sure that the countless reviewers out there :rolleyes:  are all  only just waiting for this thing to arrive to flood our computer screens with their opinions, often copied from one another.

We have a special guest on FujiRumors for the XF35mmF2 announcement on the 21th of October: http://www.fujirumors.com/sorry-fuji-aus-no-announcement-fr-sources-say-xf35mmf2-and-1-4x-tc-coming-oct-21-on-marty-macfly-day/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I really don't get all the hate.

Every lens release people complain, that lenses are too big and heavy.

Once a small lens is released it's all about: oh boy that thing is ugly! (It was the same with the renderings of the X-T10, which turned out to look really nice, once you have seen it live)

But that's Fujirumors (or the Internet in general). Complain just for the sake of complaining

...which, ironically, is a bit like complaining about the people complaining don’t you think? The one you do is also a complaint for its own sake since if you don’t wish to complain what does it matter to you if others do?

I am all for the new lens and I have no set ideas on whether it will be better, just as good or not. I even like its looks (on the X-T10 better than the X-T1 now that I’ve seen it mouthed on the camera) with a definite preference for the silver version on a silver body.

The black version of the lens on the X-T1 body that I’ve found on line in that picture looks ugly to me.

In this picture looks just a little better but it is obvious( to me) that the aesthetics of this lens weren’t based on it being the ideal companion for the X-T1

Of course ugly might be the new beautiful!

x1000024.jpg