Capture 1 fuji express + Affinity Photo, or Capture 1 fuji?

Peter Hicks

For the past year or two, I've been using Capture 1 fuji express as my raf editor, then 'Editing With'  Affinity Photo.

This has worked well for me, but I bought a Dell Inspiron with i7v10 & 4k touchscreen last black friday & all is not hunky-dory.

Whether the problem is with the hardware, or Affinity, dunno; but Affinity regularly crashes on me - often about an hour or so into a heavy session.

Another irritation is the sloppy pen accuracy, mainly on the adjustment sliders: That might just be the Dell pen aplication, but is only noticeable in Affinity.

I haven't installed the latest v1.1 of Affinity yet, as I've found that previous updates have often tended to cause as many problems as they solve.

So - eventually - my question for anyone who has used both applications is:

Would I find a noticeable improvement in practical operation if I stumped-up for, and used solely, Capture 1 fuji?

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. Why not first try the latest update of Affinity as it does not cost you any money? If it does not work as you would want it to you can switch to CaptureOne pro.

If you do panoramas and/or focus stacking You should keep Affinity as CaptureOne does not do these tricks.

I use CaptureOne pro and Affinity Photo for the same reason.

Henk

On 8/12/2021 at 6:22 AM, Peter Hicks said:

So - eventually - my question for anyone who has used both applications is:

Would I find a noticeable improvement in practical operation if I stumped-up for, and used solely, Capture 1 fuji?

Cheers,

Pete

Yes. Capture One Pro for Fuji adds a lot of functionality verse the Express version specifically around local adjustments and layers. I reserve Affinity for things C1 can’t do like panorama stitching and focus bracketing. For those items, I still process the RAW in C1, then export as TIFFs for blending in Affinity.

If you are unsure it is worth it for your anticipated use, watch some of the tutorials that C1 has on their website. That should help you evaluate the potential benefits.

David

I know the discussions about software are on-going but why do Fuji users limit their software choices.

There is other software out there. Download a trial and see if it works for you.

I personally use On1 Photo RAW 2021 and it does a beautiful job with the raw and jpeg files from my X-S10.

I also need no other software as it provides full management capability as well as layering, focus bracketing etc.