Dust inside the WR 90mm?

Matan

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I bought the Fuji 90mm but didn't get to use it due to a tight schedule this past month (actually, I only tried it out just once when at home). It has been sitting inside a camera bag all this time.

Yesterday when I took it out, I inspected it and saw this quite conspicuous speck WITHIN the lens itself (you can see it in the photo attached, slightly down left to the middle of the lens). I am quite sure it's dust.

Now I know that every lens accumulates dust no matter how well you take care of it, and it shouldn't really affect the images you take, but I guess I thought it would be different with this weather & dust resistant lens? especially when it is brand new, haven't been used and stored properly?

What do you guys think I should do? Continue as if nothing happened, or try and have it replaced?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yea I thought these WR lenses wouldn't gather dust. For image quality it doesn't matter. But if I were you I'd try to get it replaced just for the idea (especially if you bought it in a store where you can just drop by). If they don't replace it, continue as if nothing happened :D

This is one of the several other threads where people have signaled dust inside the lenses.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/450-love-your-fujifilm-lenses-keep-away-from-dust/

I had bought a 10-24 a year ago and the first copy ad some dust of specs of something inside the lens as it came out the unopened box!

Yet, not being a weather resistant lens ( WR) and a zoom this could have happened when the lend was tested after been put together (although one would hope that this happens in a dust free environment!).

This is absolutely unacceptable in a WR lens. I would have it replaced. They replaced mine although I was well within the legal respite period.

Thanks Sluw & Milandro for replying.

The thing is, can't the guys at the manufacturer's authorized lab in my country tell me - "Hey, this lens has been with you for a few weeks now, we have no way to know how you handled it and it could be that this speck is your fault, we're not going to replace it" ? Just thinking about this before spending a few hours driving back and forth.

yes, but this is a weather resistant lens and one of its most important selling points would be precisely to be impervious, throughout all its life not the first few days, to things like this. Whatever it might be that you did with it, unless you went through a sandstorm which would have left a lot more scars outside than a few specs of dust inside, should have been well within the criteria which make this lens a WR one!

You know, customers aren’t “ always right” but that doesn’t mean that they are always wrong by default.

You have a lens in your possession which should have never had this in the first place and there is one of two things at play.

1) the specs of dust were there before the lens was sold to you. Not your fault.

2) the specs of dust made it into a WR lens which is supposed to be impervious to water and dust. Not your fault.

yes, but this is a weather resistant lens and one of its most important selling points would be precisely to be impervious, throughout all its life not the first few days, to things like this. Whatever it might be that you did with it, unless you went through a sandstorm which would have left a lot more scars outside than a few specs of dust inside, should have been well within the criteria which make this lens a WR one!

You know, customers aren’t “ always right” but that doesn’t mean that they are always wrong by default.

You have a lens in your possession which should have never had this in the first place and there is one of two things at play.

1) the specs of dust were there before the lens was sold to you. Not your fault.

2) the specs of dust made it into a WR lens which is supposed to be impervious to water and dust. Not your fault.

Yeah, there's a lot to what you're saying. 

I just spoke with the main Fuji representatives in my country, and they said that I need to bring it in and they will CLEAN it. I said - Isn't it a pity to start opening a brand new lens and isn't it just worth to be fair about it and replace it? They said - That's something "the managers" will have to decide. 

So here's where I'm at - I could go there (it's a bit of a drive) and probably argue with them, most likely not getting what I want in the end(to replace it) and hence just wasting my time since I'm definitely not agreeing to them opening the lens. OR I could just forget about it, hoping that speck of dust won't cause any harm.

What do you think?

I did come up with the idea to just contact the main international offices of Fuji, though I can't really seem to find their email? They just want me to refer to the local representative.

You should definitely contact their main office and make your case, as it happened already before with another forum member from Bulgaria ( I don’t know your location) he was first refused the repair unless he paid, then after contacting the Fuji main office it was all cleared and the Bulgarian importer budged into “ we are going to repair your camera free of charge"

Here you can contact the head office in Tokio.

https://contact.fujifilm.com/cgi-bin/mail/form.cgi/contact_tokyo_headquarters?_ga=1.225719197.665361477.1432290617

Maybe I should apply for the job of Fujifilm Ombudsman? I am doing a lot of complaint administration for them on this forum already  :)  they seem to need someone in this capacity and I could use a new job!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Internal cleaning means: disassembling, cleaning, assembling AND adjustment (adjustment when applicable, we can't know it).

IF adjustment is needed by design, then we can get back the lens worse than before...

Exactly why I will never agree for them to try and clean it.

Indeed you should try to get it replaced. Cleaning is an option though. A while back I had some dust in my 18-55 (a non WR lens!) and I mailed them I didn't expect to gather much dust inside their premium line of lenses. They cleaned it free of charge. Great service!

• 2 months later...

I had the same with my 18mm, 27mm, 56mm, 10-24. When you are within guarantee. Fujifilm will clean it for free in most cases. Only when the guarantee has expired the change is big you have to pay for the cleaning. Best thing to do in these cases contact Fujifilm directly or the shop you bought the lens. 

• 5 months later...

My 2/90 has two specks of dust, big specks [for dust] haven't noticed them in the images but it is a little bugging & on my mind if I ever sell it, not that I'd ever be doing that, probably, would be nice to have a clean one al the same.