Stabilization with tripod

SimonW

TRIPOD: conflicting advice.

The camera manual for my Fujifilm X-S10 clearly shows that stabilization should be switched OFF when the camera is on a tripod (the usual advice for all cameras). However, the manuals for both my stabilized lenses (XF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR say it should be left ON. They explain: “Because image stabilization is effective in reducing blur caused by the motion of the mechanical shutter, we recommend that you enable optical stabilization even when using a tripod."

My camera and those lenses all have stabilization, but the body and lens IS cannot be independently controlled. It may be that in-body IS should be switched off when used with a lens which does not have stabilization. Or perhaps if an electronic shutter is used rather than a mechanical one. Perhaps with my system I should leave it on if using a mechanical shutter and turn it off if I switch to the electronic one.

I'd certainly welcome some clarification of this.

Regards,

As far as I understand Fuji has developed a new system for their stabilisation in the latest lenses. Previously we were told to switch stabilisation off when using a tripod but now the latest lenses "sense" when they are on a tripod and set themselves accordingly. I guess some of us forgot to switch the stabilisation off when using a tripod! This prevents that although to be honest I'm not sure what difference it makes. 

Glospete, thank you for responding.

I've put two and two together by myself, and added advice from a very helpful large retailer's customer service. The upshot is:-

My lenses (and of course the manuals for them) were in production before Fuji made any cameras with IBIS, and the reason their manuals say leave OIS on is valid for such cameras. However, it seems that IBIS can sometimes (probably not very often) actually cause image blurr when the camera is fixed. More importantly the mechanism itself can actually be damaged by trying to move while the camera is rock-solid. (That damage is only really likely to build up very gradually if the camera is used a great deal like this).

I'm happy to believe all that and will try to remember to turn it off when using a tripod in future.

(Actually, as I don't use the fn button (the one next to the eyepiece - its default is white balance) I've changed it to give easy access to the IS control).

Cheers, Simon

Edited by SimonW