New to Fuji

rickc

I am new to the the Fuji X ecosystem, having spent a number of years shooting with Pentax DSLRs. I wanted to try a mirrorless system, so after doing quite a bit of research, I settled on the X-s10 with the 16-80mm zoom. I have been working through the X-s10's menus to set it up as close as possible to how I like to use my Pentax cameras, but have the following questions:

1.  In the area of power management, I set my new Fuji for auto shutoff after a certain period of time. With Pentax, touching any button (for me, typically the back focus button) after the camera shuts off turns the camera back on. Fuji doesn't seem to work the same way, as it seems like I have toggle the on-off switch to get the X-s10 to power back up. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

2.  With Pentax, my favorite setting is TAV, which means I set the aperture and shutter speed using the front and back dials, with ISO automatically adjusted. Is there an equivalent with the X-S10?

I appreciate any advice anyone has regarding setting up the X-s10.

I am thoroughly enjoying the X-s10 for a number of reasons, although having spent so many years with Pentax cameras and their menu systems, it does take some work to get use to a new camera. But it's certainly been a enjoyable experience!

Welcome rickc, I too was new to Fuji when I got my X-S10 and 16-80mm last December. It is a great camera and lens combo.

Point 1. To wake up the camera just half press the shutter button but keep it pressed for a second or too and it will wake up. When half pressed you will feel the IBIS doing its thing , thats OK, just keep it pressed till it wakes up.

Point 2. Set the X-S10 to M mode on the mode dial and you will have aperure on the front dial and shutter speed on the rear dial. Then set the iso to Auto, Press the iso button on the top plate and use the joy stick to scroll down to the auto iso settings. The user manual does explain the auto iso settings quite well (the pdf that is). Note you can also re-assign the top left dial to exposure compensation if you like that as well. I have been using these settings just lately to photograph butterflies at high shutter speeds.

I came from using Canon and Nikon cameras and find the image quality is outstanding and hope you continue to enjoy the camera.

Best wishes DaveC. 

Hi, DaveC.

Thank you so much for the really valuable information...very much appreciated!

On the power off/on, I guess I was being a little too impatient when pressing the shutter. On the auto ISO, I'll definitely give it a try, as that's a pretty important one for me. I have found that the ISO button and joystick pretty easy to reach while looking at the EVF, so maybe there's no reason to reassign the top left dial.

With only a little time spent with the X-S10 so far, I have found the AF and image quality outstanding, as you noted. Even with the challenges of learning a new system, it's been fun getting to know my new toy!

Again, thank you for responding to my inquiry. Pentax Forums is a valuable source of information for Pentax users, and it's nice to know Fuji X Forum can provide similar advice and support.

Cheers!

Hi, DaveC,

I took your advice and decided to reset the top left dial to ISO, and used the three AUTO settings to vary the highest level (800, 3200, 12800). Combined with the M setting, this works pretty much as I'm used to, except for the following:

1.  Aperture is set with the ring on the 16-80mm lens, not with the front dial on the camera. The back dial sets shutter speed. This works fine for me, but again, with Pentax, I had the front dial on the camera set to control aperture, whereas I don't think the X-S10 can do this. Overall, though, using the aperture ring on the lens is just a small adjustment for me. (Reminds me of the old film SLR days.)

2.  When looking at the EVF, the highest ISO number of the AUTO setting in use is displayed. As the shutter is depressed and the picture taken, the actual ISO used for the shot is then displayed. This works pretty well, although I think a continuous ISO value display would be nice.

Overall, the X-S10 is very versatile and a joy to use!

Hi, David,

Thank you for the input. I gave your suggestion a try, as that would be a helpful feature. On the X-S10, however, I don't believe the front dial can be depressed.  Ideally, it would be most comfortable and familiar to me if the front and back dials could control aperture and SS, respectively. But to get auto ISO, it looks like I have to use the aperture ring on the lens with SS on the back dial, which is something I can quickly get used to.

Again, I appreciate the suggestion.

Regards.

Hi, Jerry,

Yes, that works...thank you!

Last picky question. Can the front and back camera dials be programmed for either clockwise or counterclockwise operation?

I appreciate everyone's input to get me up and running on Fuji camera functionality!

rickc

I am glad to hear it is working for you. Just be careful not to joggle the aperture ring, you might find yourself jumping from f-whatever to f22. 😀

The lens focus ring direction can usually be changed, I do not know if the dial direction can be changed.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, rickc said:

Hi, David,

Thank you for the input. I gave your suggestion a try, as that would be a helpful feature. On the X-S10, however, I don't believe the front dial can be depressed.  Ideally, it would be most comfortable and familiar to me if the front and back dials could control aperture and SS, respectively. But to get auto ISO, it looks like I have to use the aperture ring on the lens with SS on the back dial, which is something I can quickly get used to.

Again, I appreciate the suggestion.

Regards.

I also have an X-S10. You cannot depress either dial, but I definitely have it set up with front dial=aperture and rear=shutter speed. I have auto ISO and the left dial set to exposure compensation. So it CAN be done!

rickc, on the 16-80mm lens you need to set the aperture ring to the 'A' setting (auto).

Now, with the exposure mode set to manual you will find the front dial adjusts the aperture.

If you take the lens aperture ring off of 'A' then only the lens ring adjusts aperture.

Best wishes, DaveC.

Thank you to those who provided input.

After spending more time with the X-S10, the bottom line is...it is very flexible in terms of setup! If you find yourself saying, "wouldn't it be nice if..." in terms of setting up the camera, chances are you might be able to do it, or at least get close.

This is my first Fuji, so I don't have experience with the other X-T cameras with the more traditional dials. It's been written by the expert reviewers that the X-S10 was really designed to attract other brand's DSLR users more accustomed to the PASM dial over to Fuji. As one of those relatively rare users of Pentax DSLRs, in my case I can say if that's what Fuji was aiming for, it worked.

I am enjoying the X-S10 and looking forward to spending more time with this great little camera!

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, rickc said:

Hi, DaveC.

Thank you so much for the really valuable information...very much appreciated!

On the power off/on, I guess I was being a little too impatient when pressing the shutter. On the auto ISO, I'll definitely give it a try, as that's a pretty important one for me. I have found that the ISO button and joystick pretty easy to reach while looking at the EVF, so maybe there's no reason to reassign the top left dial.

With only a little time spent with the X-S10 so far, I have found the AF and image quality outstanding, as you noted. Even with the challenges of learning a new system, it's been fun getting to know my new toy!

Again, thank you for responding to my inquiry. Pentax Forums is a valuable source of information for Pentax users, and it's nice to know Fuji X Forum can provide similar advice and support.

Cheers!

So a other thing, I saw that your also able to adjust the iso with the scroll wheel in the left after you press the iso button, I found the scrolling with the joystick to slow, was playing with it and was excited when I found it 

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

I only just found this thread and can see all your questions have been answered. I too came to the XS10 recently after using Pentax SLRs since 1969, and of course Pentax DSLRs later. Really just welcoming you here. I set my XS10 similar to yourself except I do prefer the lens aperture ring. I still can't get used to having to switch the camera on before focusing and zooming, when with DSLR I very often did that first, before deciding whether the shot would be worth taking. That habit probably came from starting with film SLRs.

I tried both XT4 and XS10 before buying and much preferred the latter's handling, my only concern being its lack of weather sealing, because that was always a Pentax feature I found I could trust.

Cheers, Simon

Hi, Simon,

Thank you for your comments. Did you keep your Pentax gear, or have you gone "all-in" with Fuji? I kept my Pentax gear, as I have more k-mount glass than I plan to get for the X-S10. I'm using the Fuji with the 16-80mm as a travel friendly, versatile setup, which has been working out very well. We'll see if I end up leaving the Pentax home permanently and slowly add more Fuji glass.

Your comments about the OVF versus the EVF are interesting. I was concerned that I would really miss the big OVF provided by Pentax, but so far, it hasn't been too much of adjustment. Another noteworthy difference for me favoring the Fuji is the better autofocus. You are correct about the weather resistance of the Pentax, which I always found reassuring. Of course, there are other minor differences between the two systems, but nothing that's too difficult to handle. Most importantly, both Pentax and Fuji, in my opinion, provide great image quality.

Because it's a new toy, I've been shooting with the X-S10 more than Pentax, but someday I should shoot them side-by-side for a comparison. I'm really happy with the X-S10, and it sounds like you are, too. Happy shooting!

Cheers,

rick

Hi Rickc,

(This time I noticed the spell check removing the last c. Sorry I didn't last time).

I traded all my Pentax kit except the KS2 and 18-135, which covers most situations for backup, and still use it, mostly in rain or blowing sand where I wouldn't risk the Fuji, or maybe any other expensive new kit.

Yes, I agree about the OVF, and I do find the live histogram much more useful than taking the shot and chimping. (I never really liked using a rear screen for taking shots except for those occasions where the camera position forces me to).

Cheers, Simon

Hi, SimonW,

Sounds like we have similar likes and dislikes, and perhaps shooting styles, because even though I have five good k-mount lenses (2 primes and 3 zooms), the lens that spends the most time on my Pentax was the DA 18-135mm WR. If I was traveling light and wanted to carry only one lens, it was always the 18-135mm. And again, your point about WR is a very good one, so your backup sounds perfect!

I, too, am not good about using the rear screen for taking shots. Like you, I only do so when I am forced to engage the articulating function of the rear screen; otherwise, I use the EVF (old school). I'm not a person who spent a lot of time chimping with my DSLRs' back screen, but am quickly getting use to the EVF for this purpose with the mirrorless Fuji. 

Regards,

rick