trying to understand these 'new to me' fuji raw (raf) and jpeg files with their profiles/simulations

I’m a little baffled by fujifilm’s raw/jpeg files.

I bought an older x-e3. Was curious to try. With the tiny 27mm lens. The old model. Bought them both used.

First thing ; I set it up to shoot b&w jpegs ‘Fine’ plus the raw file. When I import into Lightroom the jpeg and raw file are b&w. I’m using Lightroom 10.1.1. I did a test and imported the same files to Capture 1 21 and Capture one did import the raw (raf) files as color. Is there a spot in the Lightroom preferences to ‘choose’ this? I’ve been looking and can’t find anything.

I do have treat jpegs as separate images checked.

Second : I don’t understand the fujifilm raw import. There doesn’t seem to be a naked, neutral fujifilm raw file imported. In Lightroom it always comes in as one of the film simulations. It’s not like a Nikon raw file, or Olympus, where you get their raw file. A base, neutral type file to work from.

Also, Capture 1 shows ‘eterna’ as a choice for a film simulation. That doesn’t appear in Lightroom’s Profile section.

I think I’d prefer to use Lightroom. I know it better than Capture 1. Also, for the initial post process work, I’m not seeing a big difference in Capture 1.

Any help with this appreciated…I’m enjoying the x-e3 body. Shooting with it is fun. Thanks in advance.

Morris

short ps. Truth be told I first bought an x-e1 but the speed of the thing was a bit too slow for me.  Nice camera. I was also curious about the other film simulations. And the newer body does have a wider gamut for making adjustments.

Fujifilm raw files have a 'small' jpeg preview file stored inside of them along with the raw data. The jpeg is built using the film simulation and camera settings you chose at the time you took the shot. The jpeg preview is used by some third party raw developers to give you an initial image. You can change any of their develop parameters as you wish and the raw data will be (is supposed to be) used to then make the final image.

For example, since you are using both raw and jpg images, you can set the in-camera  film simulation as black and white, import the raw and jpg files, the jpg will be black and white, the raw image will initially be black and white in your raw developer, but you can change the film simulation to one of the color ones and continue on your way to having a black and white and color version of the same image.

There are plenty of third party raw developers, some paid for and some free, each has their merits of course, part of the development fun is finding which one you like for a certain type of image.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, jerryy said:

Fujifilm raw files have a 'small' jpeg preview file stored inside of them along with the raw data. The jpeg is built using the film simulation and camera settings you chose at the time you took the shot. The jpeg preview is used by some third party raw developers to give you an initial image. You can change any of their develop parameters as you wish and the raw data will be (is supposed to be) used to then make the final image.

For example, since you are using both raw and jpg images, you can set the in-camera  film simulation as black and white, import the raw and jpg files, the jpg will be black and white, the raw image will initially be black and white in your raw developer, but you can change the film simulation to one of the color ones and continue on your way to having a black and white and color version of the same image.

There are plenty of third party raw developers, some paid for and some free, each has their merits of course, part of the development fun is finding which one you like for a certain type of image.

Ok, thanks for all this info Jerryy...it helps me get a handle on fuji raf and jpeg files. Sorry for tardy reply. It has been one of those kind of weeks...

kind regards

m