Limiting the use of acronyms to a minimum

milandro

I support Andrews Brown's proposal. Acronyms should be defined when used the first time. I think once per thread would be enough.

However, some acronyms are so common they may slip my attention. I just wanted to write "...would be ok." Which should have read instead "... would be ohne Korrektur (ok)". At least this is what I read somewhere about the origin of ok. ☺

But may be , instead of wasting our time with this discussion, those who support Milandro and Andrew just do it in their next posts. We cannot force the others anyway and I personally prefer a little bit of anarchy much more than too many rules.

it was an invitation to be fair to those who might not understand abbreviations, I never proposed the institution of the acronym’s police   :rolleyes:  just tolerance 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the whole idea is not overwhelming people with things that can easily be spelled out, at least once, in a post.

Agreed but it's bloody annoying to spell out things like Optical In-body Stabilization instead of OIS.

Plus, admit it or not, this is forum where technical information are shared, at one point any reader would need to either research the information needed or read the manual, a lot of the acronyms used are inside that little booklet that you get when purchasing the gear.

I am not saying we should be super elitist and shun away new members when they don't know an acronym, from where I come from, the most simple and healthiest foundation of learning anything is to ask when you don't know or when you are in doubt.

If during an exchange of information on a thread someone ask for more details about the terms used, I really do not think anyone on this forum would turn the person away or just plain being rude. 

This is after all, a small forum and we are passionate about our gear and like to share the details about it.

it might be but as you can read a few users said that they were very happy about the nature of this thread.

Thank you!!!!  Not all of us are professional photographers who run every picture through a complicated software program.  Some of us just like to take photos that come out good in spite of us.

Ad hominem qualifications are really not a good form too. Make a point on the discussion not on the person making the point.

it was an invitation to be fair to those who might not understand abbreviations, I never proposed the institution of the acronym’s police    :rolleyes:  just tolerance 

I never advocated a Acronym police, in fact I’ve made fun of it. I don’t have the power to compel you are anyone else NOT to use acronyms. If you want to use them, then do. It is anyone’s prerogative and a matter of style like calling people who you don’t know “ dude”. Some people do that , I don’t, nor am I pleased if someone addresses me like that.

I simply invited my fellow forum members to limit (not stop using them) using acronyms to a minimum, and as a matter of simple human courtesy and solidarity towards those who might felt left out because they don’t understand them.

As for leaving or staying I suppose we all do as we please.  I’d rather have you staying but we all make choices. If you would ever elect to find another place who am I to tell you what to do?

I, on the other hand, can live with people using acronyms here or anywhere else, but if you are not able to live with people who might chose to limit the use of acronyms in order to be kind to one another, then I can’t help you.

So, if you wish to use acronyms in this forum do so, if on the other hand you may be willing to consider to place courtesy above your personal comfort, please do so too.

And as fur curing myself, sure I will I will make a point not to use acronyms in future, if not in a conversation where their meaning has been made clear.

The reason why I chose to start this thread was simply the fact that In other conversations people were asking to clarify what wasn’t clear to them which made me think it would have been better not to put people in an uncomfortable position.

I never feel comfortable reading those threads where someone asks to clarify a seemingly obvious point and they are told off for not knowing something.

Yesterday I took time to answer the first post of a new member who  didn’t know how to download raw files on his computer. Rather obvious really but why should I tell him off or make him feel uneasy?

It takes a few minutes of my life and it might help him.

In my household we speak 3 languages, when we have guests we normally adapt to the situation and speak, as a matter of courtesy, the language of the guest in order to be kind to him or her.

That’s what I do. Others ignore this principle. We are all different but yes, nobody is better than any other.

yes,  https://www.acronymfinder.com

...and the same is true of how to download raw files on the desktop of your computer, yet the first post of that member was this question that he could have looked up somewhere while he asked fellow members here to help him.

http://improvephotography.com/10371/how-do-i-view-a-raw-file/

I could have referring to that page, but I chose to help him, It took seconds really to tell him what to do and a little goodwill. I do the same in a supermarket when people  toot short to reach something ask me to pick it up for them instead of telling them to go to look for a staff member.

I am sure you would do the same. Simple courtesy.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/1619-how-do-i-get-raw-images-onto-my-computer/

On another forum where I participate there are thousands ( literally) of threads open on the same subject in some cases. Every so often a new member comes to the forum and opens, yet again, another thread on the same subject.

I used to invite them to use the search function. 

But that comes across as condescending (I agree) and patronizing.

So, I normally take time to show them a few other threads on the same subject and explain that the forum is keeping records (at great cost) exactly in order to provide a reference for future use and that opening new threads on the same subject only dilutes information even further.

It might be condescending but many have thanked me for that.

I could simply tell them UTSF ( Use the Search Function) ... by the way this acronym didn’t exist before I made it up.

My experience is that people are nicer to each other face to face than they are  sitting in their cars or at the computer.

This is an interesting one.

My view is that we should have the Glossary sticky and continue to use TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) :)

My reasoning.

Another topic that came up in this thread was whether or not it is acceptable to use advanced vocabulary. I am a huge proponent of using good words. I personally believe that you can often be more economical in your communications with an advanced vocabulary. I also question dumbing down for the greater understanding of the many. I always feel that this is a very negative outcome. If I read a word I don't understand whether on a forum or in a novel or a non fiction tome, I am pleased. I go to google or my theasaurus and I educate myself to its meaning. I have benefited from someone using this word as it has increased my vocabulary. If they had dumbed their post down I would not have benefited from learning something new. As a society as we keep dumbing down in the interests of being understood what we are effectively doing is destroying our language, which is a real shame and a loss that we will regret at our leisure.

To those who say it is snobery, it is not, language is a democracy, google has made language available to anyone who wants to spend the time. Language and learning are no longer denied to someone based on income, but based on effort. I am happy with that it is a meritocracy rather than elitism.

To that end I cannot protest the use of Acronyms, if you are serious about a pursuit, hobby or profession you will learn, you will teach yourself. 3 years ago I did not know what ISO or SS or EVF vs OVF was, in looking up these aconyms not only did I learn what the acronym stood for, I learned the meaning/concept behind the aconym, and therefore my technical understanding of photography increased. This was vital as it meant that I could focus on the creative as the technical stopped being something that blocked or slowed me down while pursuing a shot.

So to that end I feel the best compromize is a sticky, to provide a resource to those who have not yet been initiated into the wonderful acronyms that accompany photography but are willing to learn. Active learning where you have to chase the knowledge down yourself is often the most effective in terms of retention.

This is just my 2 pennyworth, take it in the spirit its meant, which is 100% positive and not about snobery or feeling superior.

Regards

Gordon