Stop-Motion wedding film shot on X-T1

Antony

Hi all, I've been shooting stop-motion wedding films alongside my stills photography for three years now, and while I switched to Fuji for my stills last year, I've been still using Canon cameras for my stop-motion films. This was mainly due to concerns about battery life, responsiveness, manual focus etc.

I've now become very comfortable with the X-T1 and worked out how best to set up the cameras to achieve the results I need for my films, and have started shooting exclusively Fuji. Here's the first that's 100% X-T1 - we shoot approx 4500 RAW files for the film, of which about 1600 make the final cut. add to that another 1500-1800 stills and it's a 170GB day!

Anyway, if you want to see just what can be achieved with Fuji gear, check this out!

Hi,thanks for the feedback. In answer to the couple of questions, the stop motion film is normally shot on the 10-24mm and the Rokinon 12mm f/2 - I need a wide angle given the change of format to 16:9 when making the films. Some shots are done with different lenses, as required. On a wedding day I have the 10-24, 16-55, 18-55, 50-140, 12, 23, 35, 56 plus a Nikon 35mm on a tilt adapter.

Re. the electronic shutter question, no I just shoot away on mechanical shutter. I figure a shutter is cheap to replace, and the cameras are inexpensive anyway. I used to shoot these with 5D3's and a 1Dx, so the cost differences are significantly in my favour - I could buy 6 X-T1s for what I paid for my 1Dx. I have 4 in my bag so failure on the day is not a concern.

Really excellent work, Antony, it was amazing to see what you did using the Fuji X-T1. I'm just curious to ask that, why did you choose the Fuji X-T1 instead of the cameras in the Sony A7 family? You mentioned that you were using the Canon 5D3 and 1Dx, both are full frame cameras, so I was curious why you chose the Fuji X-T1, which is an APS-C camera. The reason why I ask is because I'm in the market for a mirrorless to replace my DSLR, and I'm vacilated between the Fuji X-T1 and the Sony A7II. I wanted to hear your opinion on your decision to go with the Fuji. Thx!  

Interesting that you shoot video on the Fuji X. I find the stair casing and moire just unacceptable so much so that unless the X-PRO2 can deliver decent video, I am seriously wondering if I would be better off with a Sony A7s Mk2 for video. I am currently using either a Nikon D750 for video, or borrow my friend's GH4.

For still, I do love the Fuji X-T1 and as I have 11 lenses, I would prefer not to have to switch systems. :)

Really excellent work, Antony, it was amazing to see what you did using the Fuji X-T1. I'm just curious to ask that, why did you choose the Fuji X-T1 instead of the cameras in the Sony A7 family? You mentioned that you were using the Canon 5D3 and 1Dx, both are full frame cameras, so I was curious why you chose the Fuji X-T1, which is an APS-C camera. The reason why I ask is because I'm in the market for a mirrorless to replace my DSLR, and I'm vacilated between the Fuji X-T1 and the Sony A7II. I wanted to hear your opinion on your decision to go with the Fuji. Thx!  

I chose the X-T1 because I loved the user interface. Tried a Sony and found that while it may work for photographers not experienced in working a certain way, all it did was frustrate me. The Fujis are very similar to the Minolta manual focus cameras I learned to shoot on in the 80's. I was happy with the Canon files, but the weight was killing my back. Now I use the Fuji for everything except my studio work.

Interesting that you shoot video on the Fuji X. I find the stair casing and moire just unacceptable so much so that unless the X-PRO2 can deliver decent video, I am seriously wondering if I would be better off with a Sony A7s Mk2 for video. I am currently using either a Nikon D750 for video, or borrow my friend's GH4.

For still, I do love the Fuji X-T1 and as I have 11 lenses, I would prefer not to have to switch systems. :)

I've never shot a minute of video with a Fuji camera so I can't comment on it's quality. These films are made by shooting thousands of RAW files, editing in lightroom and then cropping to 16:9 format before export. For video use (which is infrequent) I use my 5D Mark III.

How bright was that room at the reception where everyone was at the tables?  It seems just ambient light but you can see..

It's all shot in ambient light, at ISO 3200 with fast lenses and 6400 when using the 10-24mm. I'm perfectly happy with the low light performance of the camera when processed correctly, and given any file will be downsized to 1920x1080 there's really no point in shooting with a full frame camera for ISO. DOF is a different matter, but these cameras are so spot on with focus when wide open that's not really an issue.