Webcam mode - LED light causing banding

sneakye

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to stream using my Fuji x-T2 and it works just fine until I turn my background LED coloured lights on. I get terrible banding.

I've tried turning the flicker reduction on, am using all the recommended settings when using the webcam, but nothing works

Do I just have to give up on the nice lighting?

Emma

8 hours ago, sneakye said:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to stream using my Fuji x-T2 and it works just fine until I turn my background LED coloured lights on. I get terrible banding.

I've tried turning the flicker reduction on, am using all the recommended settings when using the webcam, but nothing works

Do I just have to give up on the nice lighting?

Emma

dear friend !, it's not the fault of your camera !. it's because your light uses "pulse modulation" that is what causes the banding.. the same reason why there is specific lights for video which doesn't use pulse modulation or have very fast flicker speed . i am sorry that you already bought a light.. but next time.. please check that the light doesn't use pulse modulation or have a very high flicker speed. most lights these days even when they're using pulse modulation, the flicker speed is faster than the camera shutter speed.. thus it doesn't cause an issue in video.. but some pulse modulation lights still use a very slow flicker rate which is slower than your camera shutter speeds, thus the banding is clearly visible in camera !. only the camera's with "global shutter" can record without banding in every possible lighting and situations.. which is mostly cinema cameras. so try lowering the shutter speed to the minimum 48 in camera while shooting 24fps video... if there is still banding... then your light has very slow flicker rate and unfortunately can't be used for video works with usual mirrorless camera's. also if you are buying lights for video.. make sure you buy the lights which is designed for video work, they're flicker free. or if you are good at electronics or know a friend who is good at electronics, tell them to increase the flicker speed of your light, they can do it by replacing a small few circuit components of the light and it will cost very less. i hope this helps !.