Locking everything

Trenton Talbot

When X-T1 was first released, there's been a lot of whining about its locking ISO dial. My problem with this dial is totally opposite: I would like that damn button to lock not just ISO, but a drive mode dial as well. It gets knocked off way too often.

As a matter of fact, I won't mind if the X-T1 successor had a similar locking mechanism on a shutter speed/metering dial as well. The only dial on a top panel that should always remain unlocked is a compensation dial.

Hell no. Just make the buttons "smart". Not "press and hold" to turn but "switches". Then you can have locked or unlocked as much or as little as you want. 

Just yesterday you were saying that significant percentage of the forum population routinely fails to enter their passwords correctly 5 times in a row. And now you want switches? What happened to the KISS rule, genius?

I know those switches from other cameras and I like them. They look exactly like the lock button in the middle of the X-T1 ISO dial, but work different. Press once to unlock, press again to lock. Those are exactly the lock-switch mechanisms I'd like for all the wheels on the X-T2.

Just yesterday you were saying that significant percentage of the forum population routinely fails to enter their passwords correctly 5 times in a row. And now you want switches? What happened to the KISS rule, genius?

Hmm. Are you not able to learn after a few times to keep the switches and buttons where they should be? Seems like it ...

Seems you aren't even thinking about features you request. A switch instead of a spring loaded lock button would be the best of both worlds. Don't you agree? 

I know those switches from other cameras and I like them. They look exactly like the lock button in the middle of the X-T1 ISO dial, but work different. Press once to unlock, press again to lock. Those are exactly the lock-switch mechanisms I'd like for all the wheels on the X-T2.

Currently, the major failure point in X-T1 is a CSM switch (I already had mine replaced, and know of at least 3 other photographers who did so as well). You're proposing something that will fail way sooner… 

Besides, this is one extra step (locking it back) to remember under pressure. Why overcomplicate something as simple as push-turn-release?

Hmm. Are you not able to learn after a few times to keep the switches and buttons where they should be? Seems like it ...

Get a life, troll.

Pfff. Rarely have I seen such an incompetent person with such self-confidence. You are proposing a "solution" that isn't working for EVERYBODY who doesn't like the way the X-T1 doesn't work today, with arguments that make absolutely no sense at all as your push button way doesn't make any difference in that regard. 

Na, I'm done wasting my time with you. Go and annoy folks with your "knowledge" ... 

I think that a lock/release button will be the best solution in terms of please the highest number of customers, I myself find the lock button on the X-T1 not practical at all, with my hand that has to make a strange turn

to press and at the same time turn the ISO dial.

I don't know what type of mechanism is the more reliable, but i know that I don't like how it is implemented now and for this reason I don't use the ISO dial very often.

the extra safety offered by the locking anything has to be offset by the awkwardness of unlocking things before operating them.

In my view one should have all things that aren’t likely to be used often ( and that’s way easily forgotten and/or overlooked), lockable,  while things that are likely to be used often not locked but simply a little more resistant to being operated by mistake or chance.

However how would anyone please everyone with this? Some people will like it, some won’t, whatever they chose to do and making everything lockable will be an expensive overkill.

I hate that the dioptric correction is not locked firmly in place and mine moves often a little bit out of “ focus” after I’ve set it on my ideal correction, and while I don’t like that others might not care or ever have even noticed.

What’s important for one it not important for the other.

So, having just taken 30 pictures with the drive switch to Adv as the drive switched had been moved whilst putting the camera away in the bag, I too would love a lockable drive switch.

BTW what does the "lock" mode on the menu do exactly. I selected drive and locked it but it doesn't make any difference.

Come on now “keep it simple stupid” Some people might not know that rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Closed already? As if forfeited? They’ve sold 25 of 250 available and I suppose it would have been a marginal accessory at best.

As I understand they got only 10% of starting fund. They haven't made a single one because they didn't get enough money to start production. The domain is free thus It looks like you can't even fund any more. I also remember the post at FR that the thing haven't worked out.

the counter shows 25 sold ( maybe they gave back the money) but I see they needed 250 sold to finance production. Too small a market.

Anyway it seems to be something that could be simply by-passed by finding a clear plastic cap of the exact same diameter and hopefully the same depth ( or you can make that to size).

Or indeed the clear adhesive plastic “ button” in the blog posts 

I am always looking for accessories but this ain’t one for me.

• 3 weeks later...

When X-T1 was first released, there's been a lot of whining about its locking ISO dial. My problem with this dial is totally opposite: I would like that damn button to lock not just ISO, but a drive mode dial as well. It gets knocked off way too often.

As a matter of fact, I won't mind if the X-T1 successor had a similar locking mechanism on a shutter speed/metering dial as well. The only dial on a top panel that should always remain unlocked is a compensation dial.

Since firmware 3.0, there is a software lock function in the menu that allows you to choose almost all of the functions, buttons, settings of the camera. You can select the button, dials that you want to lock to prevent accidental changes.

So, having just taken 30 pictures with the drive switch to Adv as the drive switched had been moved whilst putting the camera away in the bag, I too would love a lockable drive switch.

BTW what does the "lock" mode on the menu do exactly. I selected drive and locked it but it doesn't make any difference.

After selecting which functions or dials to lock in the menu, you have to enable the lock function itself. In the lock menu, you have the options of locking all, unlocking all, or lock the user-specified options. Hope it helps, Currently, i lock veirtually everything except the iso, shutter speed.

Since firmware 3.0, there is a software lock function in the menu that allows you to choose almost all of the functions, buttons, settings of the camera. You can select the button, dials that you want to lock to prevent accidental changes.

After selecting which functions or dials to lock in the menu, you have to enable the lock function itself. In the lock menu, you have the options of locking all, unlocking all, or lock the user-specified options. Hope it helps, Currently, i lock veirtually everything except the iso, shutter speed.

This lock function sucks. It takes too long to turn it on/off. If you have time to lock/unlock then you have time to check everything. Nikon had much more useful camera lock.

This lock function sucks. It takes too long to turn it on/off. If you have time to lock/unlock then you have time to check everything. Nikon had much more useful camera lock.

Nope that if you assign it to a function button. Furthermore, if you really wanna lock some settings why do you want to change it so frequently or fast?

From a philosophical point of view a lock, any lock, whether consisting of software or hardware, for anything  (so as well a bicycle lock or a password for your computer), has always one problem.

To be failproof (or foolproof) it has to be complex, but if it is complex ( bulky, heavy or complicated) it becomes difficult to operate.

It is possible to have a better locking system for the electronic functions of the camera and there will be the possibility to change this with firmware updates. I am not familiar with Nikon’s but I guess it can easily be replicated.

The hardware is not as easy to change and easily operate.

Again, I’d like to lock the dioptric correction knob which one turns all to easily making the sharpness of the electronic viewfinder just a little off ( so you don’t even quickly notice that has been altered) as it stands the only thing would be to cover it with some sticker as show above, but I’d rather not. 

Maybe someone can come up with an handy solution.

Mind sharing with me how you manage to turn the dioptric knob accidentally? I would like to know how you use it, perhaps it happened when you adjust the iso? Because of its position, i.e. on the left of the evf, i have never once experience your problem. However, i am able to imagine how it can happen to x-t10 users.  Thanks!

The handiest solution is a hardware switch. High end cameras usually have these that lock more or less functions. There can also be an option to change the role of the switch. To toggle functions for example. How about face-detection/RAW-JPG/lock/etc switch?

Dial lock can also be turned into a switch to please everyone. Use it if you like it. Nevertheless I prefer the lock like X-T1 has.