X-T4 lockdown - freeze problem

tc46wine

Date: 2021 June 30 — I have two X-T4s — one about 14 months old, the second about 5 months old (with 70-300 — fantastic lens).  Yesterday I updated the firmware to 1.21.  Last evening, I took one of my X-T4s to a baseball game and for the VERY FIRST TIME EVER I experienced frequent lockdowns or freezes.  After taking a photo, the LCD would go black, the orange data transfer light would come on and stay on.  Switching the camera on and off made no difference.  The only solution was to remove and reinstall the battery.  The camera would then work properly for a few more frames and then repeat the lockdown process again.  That probably happened 6 or 8 times last night in an hour.  This morning I repeated that scenario about 5 times.  It has been suggested that the problem is related to SD cards; I had the same problem with different Lexar cards that have never failed. So it doesn't seem to be related to SD cards. Unfortunately, the defect appears intermittent; i.e., I cannot recreate the failure upon command.  I have noted on Fuji-Form that a lot of people have reported similar behavior for X-T4s, but not X-T3s.  Have you seen this problem in your X-T4?  Do you know if the problem is unique to specific cameras or to specific versions of firmware?  Do you know if Fuji is aware of the issue?  Do you know if they are working on the problem?   In a word, this is now a major pain in the butt. 

Tom Carroll

Davidson, North Carolina

Edited by tc46wine

I too am having the same issue since updating the new firmware for my X-T4 camera yesterday. Everything you described with your camera and having to remove the battery to shut it down after the freezes is the same issue for me as well. I first thought it was a faulty SD card but I also had it freeze on the options menu screen too when I turned the camera on.

So I just got confirmation that the update has been pulled they’re working on it now and they think it has to do with the Bluetooth pairing and viewing through the EVF then back to screen and EVF is causing the camera to lockup/ freeze 

temporary solution is to turn off Bluetooth and all pairings and delete your phone from any connections to the camera and see if that works for now. And as always, wait a week or two to update for any new firmware updates. 

Can one get older camera firmware for X-T4 like 1.20 from Fujifilm Support page?
I was going to upgrade my X-T4 camera yesterday but found no firmware (latest 1.21) to download for reason mentioned here in this thread. Could not find the previous 1.20 either.

/Bo

Edited by bem

• 1 month later...

Just today I bought a new X-T4. The problem describes above still exists, even after the update to firmware 1.22; I reset the camera settings as much as possible; I reset my connection pairings on both the camera and the iPhone. The problem keeps existing: regular shutting down camera with no normal restart than switching the battery; no more paring with my iPhone possible. 

Edited by Eugenio-Eijck

• 4 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, Eugenio-Eijck said:

Just today I bought a new X-T4. The problem describes above still exists, even after the update to firmware 1.22; I reset the camera settings as much as possible; I reset my connection pairings on both the camera and the iPhone. The problem keeps existing: regular shutting down camera with no normal restart than switching the battery; no more paring with my iPhone possible. 

Mine freezed even with latest (for today) firmware version which is v1.25.. couple of thise happened with previous version as well. I bought this camera with 1.21 at the end of October, but most of the crashes happed latter with newer versions. 

• 1 year later...