Whirring sound when X-S10 is on, is this normal?

Seylien

Hello Fuji users,

I bought a new X-S10 today and noticed a soft whirring sound coming from the back of the camera when the camera is turned on. Is this normal?

I used a Sony A7II before and it was completely silent.

I use a manual lens on the Fuji so it is not coming from the lens. I already tried updating the firmware and deactivating the IBIS. The sound stays the same. 

Do other X-S10 owners notice this as well? Thank you for your help!

Edited by Seylien

• Seylien changed the title to Whirring sound when X-S10 is on, is this normal?

It really depends on how loud it is. If it's quiet, I'm pretty sure this is normal. I can hear mine making a faint whirring sound (kind of like a fan) when I am right up against the camera, but not when further back. I've seen this mentioned about the x-t4 as well when I was initially doing research deciding on a camera. The best explanation I saw was you cannot truly turn ibis off, when disabled the magnets have to hold the ibis in place to prevent it from moving, as a result the ibis system is still energized to some degree. 

Ah thank you very much for your response. I searched the internet but could not find a good explanation. It is pretty quiet and when there's environmental sound it is not noticeable. Just when in a quiet room. I thought about returning it but this puts my mind at ease.

• 4 months later...

I purchased recently the camera X-S10. I noticed that silent humming sound today, if I put my ear on the camera. I am glad that the camera I received is not defect.

I was interested whether or not I can hear that sound while I record a video. For comparison, I recorded with the same lens a video using X-T20. X-T20 is absolutely quiet. The same background noise was to hear in both recordings. So, I concluded that the humming sound is not annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this sound on my X-S10 right away and assumed it was IBIS. I was confused later when I switched IBIS off and still heard it, but didn't let it worry me. So thank you for the explanation.

Robnl's post is a bit odd though, because the X-T4 does not have IBIS. So perhaps that isn't the full story....

10 hours ago, SimonW said:

I noticed this sound on my X-S10 right away and assumed it was IBIS. I was confused later when I switched IBIS off and still heard it, but didn't let it worry me. So thank you for the explanation.

Robnl's post is a bit odd though, because the X-T4 does not have IBIS. So perhaps that isn't the full story....

I'm not sure if I can follow... The X-T4 (as well as the X-S10) has IBIS. The X-T3 hasn't.