Wishlist for X40

I hope the coming X40 will have the following:
- a sensor with at least 1", better an organic sensor
- new zoom lens starting with 24mm better f/2

- with a better OVF,  hybrid viewfinder

- remain retro-style

Then I believe it will definitely be a superb compact zoom
what do you think?

I think it's unclear if Fuji would/should continue this line with a 1" sensor, given that the competition has already switched to larger sensors (MFT or even APS-C).

Currently, the only PDAF enabled 1" sensor available is Aptina's family of 1" sensors (of Nikon 1 fame). I am not convinced that this sensor type is a good fit for the DNA and target audience of the X10/20/30 line of cameras. It's basically a video machine with fast readout, and its DR capabilities may or may not be suitable for X-Trans, but at least it would be fast enough for sure.

OTOH, Sony's 1" sensor would lead to serious performance degradation. Our shootout between the X30 and the Sony RX100Mk3 clearly demonstrated that the Sony, apart from mere sensor size, doesn't stand a chance against the X30 in pretty much every major aspect, be it AF performance, EVF resolution, EVF frame rate, EVF lag, EVF dynamic range or JPEG engine quality/performance. This essentially means that Sony's 20 MP 1" CDAF-only sensor is a slow performer and hence not a very good choice for a camera manufacturer who's setting benchmarks with regards to EVF lag and EVF DR. This was probably Fuji's main internal engineering reason to drop the initially planned 1" Sony sensor for the X30 in favor of Toshiba's old but trusted 2/3" sensor, which is based on an original Fujifilm design that predates Fuji's sale of their sensor manufacturing business to Toshiba.

I think Fuji would have too high standards/wishes for the optics for it to be bigger than 1", and they wouldn't dare making it 2/3" again i don't think.

To make a fast lens for anything bigger than 1" (that is still compact enough) i would guess can only be done with a LOT of software-corrected distortion, lots of vignetting, and no so great corner performance.

1" seems like the optimal compromise.

I think Fuji would have too high standards/wishes for the optics for it to be bigger than 1", and they wouldn't dare making it 2/3" again i don't think.

To make a fast lens for anything bigger than 1" (that is still compact enough) i would guess can only be done with a LOT of software-corrected distortion, lots of vignetting, and no so great corner performance.

1" seems like the optimal compromise.

Yeah, I believe technically, some breakthrough is necessary for Fuji to keep up with good corner sharpness & low vignetting using sensor over 1"

If Fuji decides to do so, I think this is possible since Panasonic has done this already with their LX 100 using large sensor and a really fast zoom.

But atm, 1" without AA filter seems fine for me.

I sorta think that ship sailed when the X-S1 was out out to pasture.

There were plans for another (smaller) bridge with a 2/3" sensor, but those were scrapped, like a few other things. Of course, scrapped things can be revived when times are changing. 

• 2 weeks later...

1. I'd like to see a larger sensor without compromising the quality (if not the size) of the body and lens.

2. Better response to noise (#1 should help in this regard).

3. Click stops on the control ring around the lens to keep it from being accidentally shifted.

4. Out of the question, I'm sure, but I'd love the hybred viewfinder from the X100 series.

Overall, however, excessive noise has always been my main problem with the X10/20/30, so I'd be thrilled if only that issue were significantly improved by Fuji.

1. I'd like to see a larger sensor without compromising the quality (if not the size) of the body and lens.

2. Better response to noise (#1 should help in this regard).

3. Click stops on the control ring around the lens to keep it from being accidentally shifted.

4. Out of the question, I'm sure, but I'd love the hybred viewfinder from the X100 series.

Overall, however, excessive noise has always been my main problem with the X10/20/30, so I'd be thrilled if only that issue were significantly improved by Fuji.

Yeah, much noise already at 800, so i really hope the coming successor would have at least 1" sensor and a new processor.

And it's a plus if it is WR

I don't think we need a 1" sensor in the X30 sucessor. A newer, updated, improved 2/3" sensor would be better.

Other than that, I would like the EVF to be on the far left hand like the X-E2 so I can use it comfortably with my nose not touching the screen

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's just a matter of time that compacts will have bigger and bigger sensors.. LX100 already showed this.

If Fuji aspires to be a compact on one hand but with a street photography Leica-retro-like style ,and wants to catch up with the rest of the compact competitors (lx100 or Rx100) and also be more innovative than the rest, I think it would be great to have:

- bigger sensor for sure. it affects image quality in all aspects: noise, bokeh etc. 1` I think it's not enough, it will only cause Fuji to be left behind, while others already have bigger ones.

- zoom lens - is it's great as is, let's be honest, but could be greater if the minimum focal length wouldn't cause the lens to protrude that much, so the camera was more flat  and more pocketable. i.e lens could start from the size as the x100 is, and then, if You zoom in, the lens extends.

- normal on/off switch

- 1/1000sec on wide open now is a bit of a joke. 1/4000 on a full range pleasee 

- ND filter !

- maybe bigger viewfinder

- aperture ring

Overall it's a really good camera. If these things change, the time will come to finally sell dslr and buy this. Great handling and quality, all around camera. No need to have anything more for 85% of photography.

There's just this image quality (lack of bokeh) that doesn't satisfy semi pro or advanced amateurs. Rest is a bit of nitpicking.

• 4 months later...

No rumours as of late. The only thing that stops me from getting the X30 is that the sensor's limitations sometimes shows in photos where I wouldn't expect it to. If any company could improve on a 2/3 sensor, I reckon Fuji would be the ones to do it.

I would absolutely LOVE a 24mm lens but the focal range on the current cameras is still versatile.

• 3 months later...

I don't think we need a 1" sensor in the X30 sucessor. A newer, updated, improved 2/3" sensor would be better.

Other than that, I would like the EVF to be on the far left hand like the X-E2 so I can use it comfortably with my nose not touching the screen

Depends on the quality of the lens - if it is good enough for an improved 2/3" sensor to provide a good image quality improvement this would be a fine update. However, if fuji needs to develop a new lens anyway then they may as well go for the increased sensor size as well.

• 1 month later...

Other than the obvious issues relating to a smaller sensor and shooting in very low light, the X30 is spectacular, will be quite valid for a few more years to come. My wife shoots one and constantly gets asked what camera she used for her photos she shares. She's even been offered a wedding gig based on the image quality, and she's an amateur. The X30 is just stunning. I still think it's perhaps the best compact camera out there. I'd pick it over the RX100's and LX100 and G5X, for a number of reasons. It may not win every category over these larger-sensored cameras, but the whole experience combined with the stunning image quality has it at the top. I'm still waiting for a better compact camera option to come out. 

B

• 9 months later...

The X10 was my first venture into Fujifilm cameras. It was awesome, fast to turn on, & LOVED the collapsable zoom lens. (I hate the fake "Digital Zoom" aka crop of the X70.) The viewfinder I appreciated, but found the hot shoe attachment variety of the X70 was beautiful to look at and to look thru! (yes, I would dream of a green focus confirmation overlay in the optical viewfinder; certainly the technology is out there for a small camera like the X40?) But after I jumped from the X10 to the X70, I immediately found myself missing 2 big things: The true optical zoom, and the PSAM dial on top.

My wishlist for an X40:

1. 24 MP sensor. (anything larger than what he X30 had.)
  2. Retain optical viewfinder, preferably with illuminated focus confirmation overlay. (I can dream, yes?)
  3. 180 degree flip-up LCD screen, with touch to focus or snap.
  4. Retain low f stop range 2.0 -2.x or 1.8 - 2.x.
  5. Threaded shutter release button.
  6. Record button that is actually accessible (the X70 is in a bad location)
  7. Retain the top mounted PSAM dial (including: Low Light mode, sport mode, C1, C2, etc) - This is an absolute necessity for an X40.
  8. Improved low light video (another dream)
  9. Better manual focus for video. (the X10 seemed to hunt even in manual mode)
  10. Accessory Wide angle and Telephoto attachments.  (Even though it will have a retractable zoom lens)

Regarding supposedly low X70 sales: 

I understand why - as an X70 owner, I can vouch for the need to have a zoom lens. While I know of the very large happy X100 fan base, when you start removing features (like that awesome digital/ optical viewfinder on the X100), there becomes fewer reasons to pick the X70. It's has no REAL zoom. It's mimicking a good cell phone camera in that respect, and thats not what we want. 

Thank you for listening, I'm addicted to Fuji, but need this gap between the X30 and X70 filled.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Making the sensor much bigger would Result in a bigger camera, I like the current size and design. What I'd like to see is (a) weatherproofing, (B) a few more pixels; 16Mpx would be fine. If they could make a totally waterproof version (Olympus tough style) I'd buy it yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

continuing my wishlist from the above post, X10_to_X70_to_X-A3:

I just figured out what major function is missing from the X-A3: Pro Low Light mode from the Advanced section!!

I used this mode all the time on the X10, and one reason the X70 was so hard for me to use was that I was unable to take good low light pictures with it. 

Now, months after having the X-A3, I just realized that I am missing this mode completely. 

Please dust off the X40 camera from the idea closet, maybe add focus assist functions in the EVF, a 180 flip UP selfie screen, and yes, give us the Advanced Pro Low Light mode!    Also realize, the "digital zoom" functions of the X70, (X80), X100 cameras do not replace ACTUAL optical zooms. They are merely cropping functions. (I don't need in camera crop tools) An actual optical zoom lens is what the X10, X20, X30 graduate desires and needs.

thank you for your consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an X30 for nearly a year, after shooting with an X10 and X20 since 2012. I like the X30 better in almost every way. Image quality is essentially the same, while the ergonomics are improved in any number of ways. As I stated some time ago in this thread, my only problem with all three of these 2/3" sensor cameras has been their level of noise. An X40 successor should keep the X30 body (with improvements); keep the excellent zoom lens or a close successor; and integrate whatever improvements may have evolved with 2/3" sensor technology.

I agree with member "val," who said nearly two years ago, "I don't think we need a 1" sensor in the X30 successor. A newer, updated, improved 2/3" sensor would be better."

These X10/20/30 cameras are the only Fuji cameras that show no sign of the same bloat that has afflicted DSLRs for many years. Having my X30 in hand reminds me of nothing so much as shooting with a screw-mount Leica half a century and more ago. 

Please, Fuji, don't let the pixel counters and large sensor boosters convince you that only bigger is better!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I had an X30, an X70 and a Panasonic LX100 as candidates for a small daily shooter. The lack of an EVF quickly took the X70 off the list. I love the concept of the LX100 having a larger sensor, but it's not a "fuji" shooting experience and power zoom lenses dust traps. The X30 sensor is small and kinda dismal, and the body size is a bit hard to justify compared the the X70. 

i'd allow myself to be punched in the throat for an LX100 / X30 concept with fixed manual zoom and a focus ring in an X-E4 size body / sensor even if it cropped on of the sensor.

considering the Sony RX100 has a 1inch sensor with a dust magnet of a power zoom lens in a lousy shooting experience compared to Fuji and sell it pretty damn , for 1200 EUR, well suggests there is a market for expanding of the X30 concept. 

I don't feel like carrying an X-T3 or 4 or X-H1 around with me all the time, but i think Fuji has treated the fixed zoom lens products as a "bridge camera" instead of a solid "daily carry" camera.