Lens has no aperture ring

jhpen1

I'm posting for the first time with a problem I can't solve.  When using a lens with no aperture ring and a dummy adapter (no contacts) on my new X-S10, there's no way to know what f/stop the camera is choosing.  With no contacts in the adapter, the f/stop reads "0."  So I have no way to control DOF, which is critical.  Does anybody know a workaround?  I don't want to replace my lenses or buy an adapter with contacts.  Right now, it seems that my options are to buy Fuji glass or replace my lenses that have no aperture rings with ones that do.

Welcome here!

It depends if the aperture of the lens is set mechanically or electronically. In the first case you need an adapter with an aperture ring. In the second case there only a few combinations of cameras, adapters and lenses which work together. 

Thanks, Olaf W.  If I understand correctly, the X-S10 is setting the aperture electronically, since the Canon EF lenses I'm trying to adapt have no aperture rings--nor does the adapter.  So, apparently, I'm out of luck with these lenses.

Yes, the X-S10 like all Fuji cameras controls the lenses electronically. And I assume the Canon EF is also an elctronic one, but the electronics aren't compatible (even if the connectors would fit). You'd need an "intelligent" adapter, these exist for some combinations but cost quite a lot of money.