Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SOLVED: I feel like a silly goose but I'll leave this here for anybody who finds this helpful. Originally posted this query because what I saw through the optical viewfinder was LARGER than the picture that is actually taken. This is just how the OVF in this camera works: it's bigger than what's actually seen by its lens. Never personally encountered this before in a camera. No, you cannot disable this behavior.

Original post:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and just purchased a used X100F (an upgrade for me... I've spent time behind a Nikon film camera and an older model of Fujifilm X. I spend most of my time taking pictures of flowers).

I've been struggling with one particular feature, not knowing how to disable it, not knowing what it's called in the menu system: When I look through the OVF and press shutter lightly to autofocus, sometimes the frame lines contract pretty small. It's like there's a "smart auto-crop" deciding how to frame my photo. But I want to be able to decide that for myself. This only happens when my eye is to the OVF; it doesn't happen on the LCD screen.

• Can I turn this feature off?
  • Or is this permanent, in OVF?
  • Or is my camera malfunctioning? (bought it used...dual viewfinder is out-of-order, for one)

More context: I am not using a teleconverter. I'm not using zoom. I've been perusing reviews, forums, the user manual... nothing sounds like what I'm describing.

Does anyone know what this is called and whether I can disable this feature? Thank you in advance!

Edited by pterosaur
added tags, topic update
  • pterosaur changed the title to X100F (SOLVED) How to turn off "smart auto-crop"?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Xptto
      Hi Guys,

Any luck with this software using an X100F?
      If so please share the procedures.
      I'm using windows 10/ direct cable to the computer (no hubs in beetween).
      The green led in the back of the camera just blinks after I switched it on with the cable pluged in to the PC.

Thanks in advance,

• By Fujistreet
      A series of street photography taken in Hong Kong from 2017 to 2020 with X100F.
      There will be 11 videos in total. The first one is about light and shadow.

• By MaxGor
      Hello guys,
      Any hint how to turn on framing guideline and horizon level in OVF?
      I selected them in setting Screen Setup/DISP. Custom Setting/OVF
      In framing guideline I selected grid 9.
      Checking OVF and neither framing guideline nor horizon level is displayed.
      Am I missing anything?

Regards,
      Max
    • By trnfncb11
      I understand that face detection disables photometry. But I notice some undocumented inconsistencies when face-detection is selected, depending on OVF/EVF selection:
      With EVF, the metering icon in the viewfinder displays the appropriate face-detection/eye-detection icon. Photometry choice is disabled. So far so good.
      With OVF on / dual EVF off, the metering icon in the viewfinder keeps displaying the underlying selected photometry icon (although photometry selection is disabled). This is wrong and confusing.
      With OVF on / dual EVF on, the metering icon also keeps displaying the photometry choice, but it is yellow-colored (undocumented). In addition, a function key assigned to photometry appears to be active, you can choose a photometry mode and the choice is regularly reflected in the viewfinder. Again utterly misleading.
      Can somebody explain?
    • By Bradley Stearn
      I've been trying to save 2 different colour presets onto my X100f. I've been inputting the presets for a HP5 acros look, and a kodachrome look based off classic chrome.
      I go into the Q menu, create the look on a custom setting, so for example the Hp5 look on C1. I then make the Kodachrome look on C2. The C1 Hp5 look is then deleted. What am I doing wrong? How do I save multiple colour profiles at the same time?
    • Any update on this issue? My xpro3 was purchased earlier this year, still under warranty. But I cannot turn it on at all. After a shoot last Saturday, I left it on its shelf and picked it up to shoot this morning: totally unresponsive. Tried 4 different Fuji batteries all charged. No luck. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you. 
    • The reply I received from Fuji back a while ago   “Thank you for your patience regarding this issue.     After speaking to our camera service engineers, they told me there is no coating on the new cameras and while the new LCD panels have a similar colour gamut, they are no longer calibrated by the factory in the same way that they used to be.   They believe this changed around the end of 2019 but they weren't sure.  Nothing that should make a black and white image look sepia though, the LCD will be slightly warmer out of the box.   In the same way that most TV screens and monitors are not colour calibrated from the factory, the LCD screens on our cameras are not either and instead have the option to be adjusted manually by the end user to their preference.   I appreciate this is probably not what you are looking for, but this is how the new generation of cameras are made” I tested a GFX50s I store that was traded in. No issues with the lcd - Seems the more money you spend the lcd is then properly calibrated. The lower end cameras under 1K they ain’t.    very sad to see
    • I'm trying to understand the unmarked aperture ring on the K&F Concept lens adapter. I recently purchased the K&F Concept Minolta AF (Sony A) to Fuji X lens adapter to use with my old Minolta AF lenses; specifically the Minolta AF 50mm f1.7-f22. With the adapter installed (Fujifilm X-E2S), the camera does not show the aperture selected; understandably as this is a "dumb" adapter. The combination works very well together and I have no complaints. The adapter has a clicked aperture ring that allows for 9 stops from fully open to fully closed. Would the 9 stops equate to f1.7, f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22 for the Minolta AF 50mm f1.7-f22 lens?   Many Thanks!
    • Welcome here, Charles