Power During Webcam Sessions

codeslubber

Been using my X-T4 w/18-55 as a webcam on a mac and am very happy with it. I did a pretty long call the other day and it still had power at the end. But I was wondering if it draws power from USBC while plugged in. Did some reading around and found someone saying no on YouTube. I don't really need spare batteries for shooting but might get one in case I do a long call or back-to-back calls. Looks like dummy batteries are not a great option. 

2 hours ago, codeslubber said:

Looks like dummy batteries are not a great option. 

Hi,
Could you elaborate?
Somewhat in a similar boat here.
My understanding is that the camera cannot use the USB both as a data channel for the video and as a source of power. 

Yes that's what I have read. Elaborate on why the dummy is not a good option? yeah I was not really clear about that. Seems that there were a lot of dummy options for the 3, not so much for the 4. But maybe that is the best option. My thought is I might only need super long sessions once in a while so I would favor a solution that has additional utility (dummy would not). Even extra batteries. Also should have mentioned of course the battery grip. Still finite but 3x longer, that would probably do it, but $329 for that option.

13 hours ago, codeslubber said:

Yes that's what I have read. Elaborate on why the dummy is not a good option? yeah I was not really clear about that. Seems that there were a lot of dummy options for the 3, not so much for the 4. But maybe that is the best option. My thought is I might only need super long sessions once in a while so I would favor a solution that has additional utility (dummy would not). Even extra batteries. Also should have mentioned of course the battery grip. Still finite but 3x longer, that would probably do it, but $329 for that option.

At the moment I'm using USB capture card + USB-c for power. The camera doesn't actually charge the battery but it also doesn't seem to draw from it so it works for long sessions.

I've had a so much trouble with the direct USB to PC using Fuji's Webcam software...

I found a decently priced dummy battery, I will test is and report here.

Edited by flamidey

What problems have you had? works every time for me. Within the bounds I had to discover through caveman trial and error:

- Zoom works every time

- Google Meet only works in Chrome

I think the biggest pit to fall into is thinking you can just plug it in and then the app will popup. I go into Zoom and make an instant call and then fiddle with the video. This past week I then got an invite to the meeting, clicked on it, and Zoom asked 'do you want to leave this meeting and go to that one?' I clicked yes and it all worked fine.

During operation the only problem i have encountered is the camera has gone off several times. Few of those times I had it plugged into a Thunderbolt 4 hub, but for sure it did it plugged into the laptop as well.

9 hours ago, codeslubber said:

What problems have you had? works every time for me. Within the bounds I had to discover through caveman trial and error:

- Zoom works every time

- Google Meet only works in Chrome

I think the biggest pit to fall into is thinking you can just plug it in and then the app will popup. I go into Zoom and make an instant call and then fiddle with the video. This past week I then got an invite to the meeting, clicked on it, and Zoom asked 'do you want to leave this meeting and go to that one?' I clicked yes and it all worked fine.

During operation the only problem i have encountered is the camera has gone off several times. Few of those times I had it plugged into a Thunderbolt 4 hub, but for sure it did it plugged into the laptop as well.

- USB connection: not working from a USB 3 hub connected to a USB 3 port, not working with some cables, but more or less randomly (will work sometimes with a cable but not all the time)

- Webcam Software: not recognizing the camera, not showing up in anything else than Zoom (namely OSB or Skype)

- When it works, no control over anything while broadcasting, very laggy at 30 fps, unusable at 60 fps. 

I find the HDMI interface way better.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:43 AM, flamidey said:

At the moment I'm using USB capture card + USB-c for power. The camera doesn't actually charge the battery but it also doesn't seem to draw from it so it works for long sessions.

I've had a so much trouble with the direct USB to PC using Fuji's Webcam software...

I found a decently priced dummy battery, I will test is and report here.

Received the dummy, works perfectly, no overheating or anything. I power it with a Belker adjustable DC power adapter. It is set to deliver 9V. The link to the dummy on Amazon US is
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LST8MJN?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1