Jump to content

Review on the new Fujinon XF18 F1.4


batian
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, batian said:

For those still on the fence, here are a few thoughts on the new Fujinon XF18 F1.4...

https://peterpoete.de/xf18-1_4-review/

 

 

I gather he doesn't like pixel peeping, but that small comparison with the 18/2 is telling, regarding the IQ step-up in the new lens. (I'm wondering if he vignettes in post, as both lenses show quite a bit in some shots.)

Despite his enthusiasm, even he seems a bit leery regarding the size of the lens. I'm surprised Fuji didn't recognize the use-case people like myself have for this focal length, and updated the compact f/2.

I'm afraid if I bought this new 18, I'd end up leaving it in the bag.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, KrisAK said:

I gather he doesn't like pixel peeping, but that small comparison with the 18/2 is telling, regarding the IQ step-up in the new lens. (I'm wondering if he vignettes in post, as both lenses show quite a bit in some shots.)

Despite his enthusiasm, even he seems a bit leery regarding the size of the lens. I'm surprised Fuji didn't recognize the use-case people like myself have for this focal length, and updated the compact f/2.

I'm afraid if I bought this new 18, I'd end up leaving it in the bag.

 

 

 

Hi KrisAK, 

first of all, it‘s not „he“, it‘s me 🙂 My fault, I should have written „my thoughts“… it‘s my blog…

And yes, of course the vignetting is made in post, that‘s very often my style. So I don‘t care about vignetting, but both are OK in this respect - the f/1.4 even better I think. 

Coming to the size: Puh, yeah, it‘s OK… but as I wrote, I would like it to be a bit smaller. All in all, though, it's still OK, as it's also quite slim and light.

Should you prefer it to the F2 version? This is the hardest question of all. As a landscape photographer probably yes, otherwise it depends on how much you need/want that kind of perfection. It's damn good without question, but I'm still not selling the F2 either... maybe that answers the question best.

 

Cheers,

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, batian said:

Hi KrisAK, 

first of all, it‘s not „he“, it‘s me 🙂 My fault, I should have written „my thoughts“… it‘s my blog…

And yes, of course the vignetting is made in post, that‘s very often my style. So I don‘t care about vignetting, but both are OK in this respect - the f/1.4 even better I think. 

Coming to the size: Puh, yeah, it‘s OK… but as I wrote, I would like it to be a bit smaller. All in all, though, it's still OK, as it's also quite slim and light.

Should you prefer it to the F2 version? This is the hardest question of all. As a landscape photographer probably yes, otherwise it depends on how much you need/want that kind of perfection. It's damn good without question, but I'm still not selling the F2 either... maybe that answers the question best.

 

Cheers,

Peter

Hi. Thanks. Nicely written and thoughtful blog, btw, and great shots. 

I don't yet own a Fuji body, and was waiting for this lens to be released before diving in (28mm is my favorite.) The thing is, I've currently got a Canon EOS R with an adapted EF 28/2.8, which is actually smaller & lighter than the new Fuji. The Fuji's faster, of course, but I don't really need the speed, and was hoping for a more discreet setup.

So maybe the f/2 Fuji is for me. When I looked at your comparison, though, I first though those were corner-frame comparisons. The fact that it's the center is a bit of a concern. (If they'd only make an X100 with a 28mm equivalent, I'd be set.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KrisAK said:

Hi. Thanks. Nicely written and thoughtful blog, btw, and great shots. 

Thanks…

Quote

I don't yet own a Fuji body, and was waiting for this lens to be released before diving in (28mm is my favorite.) The thing is, I've currently got a Canon EOS R with an adapted EF 28/2.8, which is actually smaller & lighter than the new Fuji. The Fuji's faster, of course, but I don't really need the speed, and was hoping for a more discreet setup.

Sounds more like a general decision between Canon and Fujifilm… why do you want to change systems?

Quote

So maybe the f/2 Fuji is for me. When I looked at your comparison, though, I first though those were corner-frame comparisons. The fact that it's the center is a bit of a concern. (If they'd only make an X100 with a 28mm equivalent, I'd be set.)

The F2 ist kind of special, I think it‘s not for everyone. Optically it‘s not for pixel peepers or for some special tasks where resolution is key. Mechanically, it‘s crazy as well by today‘s standards… no internal and loud AF, aperture blades are chattering, aperture ring not as good build as with other fujifilm lenses, … I love it anyway, just saying.

If you want to go discrete: XF27 F2.8 MKII, XF23 F2 and XF16 F2.8 are extremely versatile, very small, fast AF, weather resistant, … or you could go with a X100V with WCL-X100 adapter… the X100V is in my view the best digital camera ever :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...