Focus issues

botty1963

Hi All, I came back from a week at the coast and around a third of my images were really poor with regards blurred areas of the photos. Attached are just a couple that give you an idea of what I mean. The first one with the seagulls is f/8, ISO160 and 1/250 and I focused on the birds, and the second one f/8, ISO160 and 1/210 and I focused on the cliffs. I use spot metering and had the IBIS/OIS on, I use the Fuji 16-.80mm lens. In both instances I was a distance from the subjects and therefore f/8 should give enough DoF, and the shutter speeds are quite quick, the birds were all just sat on the rocks. They were both shot handheld. My X-T4 and lens are both at the latest firmware levels. Any ideas why they are so blurred?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just noticed on this one at f7.1/, 1/75 and spot focused on the boat, that it's just the middle ground that is really blurred.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 5/25/2021 at 5:41 AM, CatsAreGods said:

That one does look odd, but with such a low shutter speed, it's possible the water in the middle was moving faster than the water close to shore.

Even at 1/75 you would expect with IBIS and OIS that it would be fine. It's odd that if you look at the reflections on the shoreline and the boat/sea in the distance they are fairly sharp, but just the middle ground that is an issue.

I think when it's the odd one you accept that it might have been the circumstances, but when it's about 100 out of 400 photos you wonder if there is an issue.

Edited by botty1963

On 5/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, botty1963 said:

>>Even at 1/75 you would expect with IBIS and OIS that it would be fine. It's odd that if you look at the reflections on the shoreline and the boat/sea in the distance they are fairly sharp, but just the middle ground that is an issue.<<

IBIS and OIS are only effective for motion blur caused by camera movement, not for freezing moving objects when you use a too low shutterspeed.

Correct, but if the subject is not moving then you are not trying to freeze moving objects, and the top two photos are both above 1/200 and have part of the image blurred and part not. The one with the cliff has part blurred and part not blurred, and are effectively in the same plane of focus.

Edited by botty1963

Do you have other lenses or only the 16-80mm? If it's your only lens can you borrow a lens from a friend? Do some test images with the other lens to see if it's the camera or the 16-80mm lens.

Did you do a test with IBIS/OIS switched of?

Edited by mrPeter

I only have the 16-80, I sold all my Canon gear to simplify my setup to one body and lens. Just remembered that I do have one friend who has Fuji so will try that. I will try it with the IS off, I have just done an experiment in the garden on a tripod with IS on and off but haven't yet loaded the photos to check.