18-55 or sell and get the 18-135?

Mike B

Would like to know if anyone has moved from the 18-55 to the 18-135 and can let me know what they think about the move. Contemplating selling my 18-55 and getting the 18-135, yet it seems I have not heard a lot about the newer lens. This would be for when I just only want to take a my X-T1 and one lens in case something pops up I'd like to capture. Not a planned subject/shoot. 

The 18-135 is quite big.  It's why I bought the kit with the 18-55.  That being said, ever since I got the camera I wished I had just gotten the 18-135.  The 18-55 doesn't have enough reach for just having one lens with you, and although the 18-135 lens is bigger and heavier it isn't so much that it isn't worth the extra reach you get out of it.  In my opinion anyway.  I'd love to have a travel kit with the 18-135, and probably the 56/1.2or 35/1.4, I could ditch the 35 if I could add a x100 in to that kit.

Just my opinion..I'm sure other's have better thought process.

Thanks CRAusmus. I have a small pack with all my lenses and have a good mix, yet when I can't or don't want to carry my pack and just carry a camera and lens I don't seem to have a solid go to multi-purpose lens.  Also the WR interests me as sometimes it  get caught in bad weather. so a 28-200 equivalent has my interest. I have thought about that extra size and weight. I hope someone using the 18-135 weighs in with some real world experience.  

I have both the 18~55 and the 18~135. Got the latter for a trip to Hawaii (4 islands). Didn't rain on us even on the rainy side of Hilo. So, didn't test the weather resistance with my X-T1. It is bigger than the 18~55; but after I got home, I left it on the camera for several months and carried it on many hiking trips in the Superstition Mountain area of AZ. (Good for dust protection also).

Just now put the 18~55 back on the X-T1. Don't have any distinct opinion about one being sharper than the other. Guess I should set up a tripod and do comparison shots. But, I've been satisfied with images from both lenses. Full size image is here: http://www.lonetreeimages.com/Imgs/Hawaii_5132.jpg

Would like to know if anyone has moved from the 18-55 to the 18-135 and can let me know what they think about the move. Contemplating selling my 18-55 and getting the 18-135, yet it seems I have not heard a lot about the newer lens. This would be for when I just only want to take a my X-T1 and one lens in case something pops up I'd like to capture. Not a planned subject/shoot. 

really a personal decision.  There are pros and cons like with any lens  There is NO right lens for everyone. Only you can weight them based on your shooting habits. You know yourself best. What's right for me is likely not the case for someone else.  This is why Fuji makes different lens.  Think it through, prioritize the pro and con and I am sure you will find the solution that is right for you.  Don't limit yourself to just the X-T1 + a lens as the only solution.  There may be other solutions that might work better for your unplanned walk around habits. Good luck.

I've read a lot of web articles regarding the 18-135 not being as good, or tack sharp as the 18-55.  You may want to test it and if you don't like it return the item.  For me, it seems a tad large even though I really like the range.  In order to supplement my 18-55 I bought the 55-200 and I'm quite pleased with it. I had to choose between the 55-200 and the 50-140, but I did not want to carry all that extra weight around and drop almost 1,000 more.  For that, I'd have kept my Nikon 70-200 2.8.  

I've read a lot of web articles regarding the 18-135 not being as good, or tack sharp as the 18-55.  You may want to test it and if you don't like it return the item.  For me, it seems a tad large even though I really like the range.  In order to supplement my 18-55 I bought the 55-200 and I'm quite pleased with it. I had to choose between the 55-200 and the 50-140, but I did not want to carry all that extra weight around and drop almost 1,000 more.  For that, I'd have kept my Nikon 70-200 2.8.  

Thanks. 

really a personal decision.  There are pros and cons like with any lens  There is NO right lens for everyone. Only you can weight them based on your shooting habits. You know yourself best. What's right for me is likely not the case for someone else.  This is why Fuji makes different lens.  Think it through, prioritize the pro and con and I am sure you will find the solution that is right for you.  Don't limit yourself to just the X-T1 + a lens as the only solution.  There may be other solutions that might work better for your unplanned walk around habits. Good luck.

Thanks.  I do know and agree about the personal preference. Laws of physics still apply. I have several of the Fuji lenses and added the Fuji system to my gear to reduce size/weight when I can't or don't want to lug my Canon gear around. Still attempting to find my go to "one Lens" for the Fuji when I don't know if I even will take an image but don't want to be without a camera just in case. Seems like too often I have chose too long or too short. I continue my evalution and will see where I end up.

I have both the 18~55 and the 18~135. Got the latter for a trip to Hawaii (4 islands). Didn't rain on us even on the rainy side of Hilo. So, didn't test the weather resistance with my X-T1. It is bigger than the 18~55; but after I got home, I left it on the camera for several months and carried it on many hiking trips in the Superstition Mountain area of AZ. (Good for dust protection also).

Just now put the 18~55 back on the X-T1. Don't have any distinct opinion about one being sharper than the other. Guess I should set up a tripod and do comparison shots. But, I've been satisfied with images from both lenses. Full size image is here: http://www.lonetreeimages.com/Imgs/Hawaii_5132.jpg

Thanks.  I just came back out of the Superstitions this morning. Got some Desert Big Horn images. I am going to decide on this issue before I head out to Hawaii in August. Will be taking my system there, yet just won't carry all when headed out. I'm also looking to see what I can do for underwater shots while there.  

Seems like too often I have chose too long or too short. I continue my evalution and will see where I end up.

LOL, don't be so hard on yourself. You have to have reasonable limits.   Will 18 be wide enough, will 135mm be long enough? I can tell you from my own personal experience.  NO and NO.   ...but you know what.. that is ok.  Can't plan for the unplanned and still expect to carry around a reasonable sized kit.

added the Fuji system to my gear to reduce size/weight when I can't or don't want to lug my Canon gear around. 

hope history won't repeat itself here with a heavy Fuji kit by bring along something all the time for the rare unplanned shots on the long end which often are never long enough. In my experience.      Darn Murphy's law. lol.

but, here we are again.. you are not me. so it maybe perfect for your needs and be both wide and long enough and you will be saved from the wrath of Murphy's law.   If it will work for you, I got to tell you, I will be very jealous. Good luck.

in case something pops up I'd like to capture.

I've never seen a really good picture of something that just "poped up" done with a tele personally. Neither by cropping, it never works. If you want something to carry around in case you find something interresting, the 18-55 is really fine in this role. I have yet to see a good shot of anything done with a teleobjective, maybe animals, but then as usual, the best shot will be done on moderate tele and getting closer, or by including the surrounding, same for the really good surf shots that are done in the water, not from the beach.

But I'm an advocate for "letting go" when it won't work no matter how hard I try, and concentrate on the few shots that will, just food for thought maybe review the focales you use most first?

I just moved from an XE1 w/18-55 to an XT1 w/18-135. Also am using the 14 and 35mm Fuji lenses, with my primary photo interests being travel. I ended up keeping the 18-55 because I had some concerns with the size of the 18-135 and I just liked the 18-55 quite a bit so wasn't ready to let it go until I was sure the new lens would work for me.

I just finished a trip to Belgium and the Netherlands where we had been expecting a fair bit of rain so that was the motivating factor for me to make the switch to the new setup. I did bring the 18-55 just in case I didn't like the 18-135 but as it turned out the 18-55 never made it out of the bag. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the build, flexibility, and quality of the shots and wasn't bothered too much with the size and weight. YMMV.

Still not sure if/when I will sell the 18-55. I think I'll probably end up selling it and using the funds towards the 23 or 27mm. TBD.

Hi Mike. I am fortunate enough to have both the 18-55 and the 18-135. for me its a no brainer, the 18-135 is a fabulous lens. I loved my 18-55 until I got the 18-135. The extra reach is fabulous as a walk around lens and it has a lovely bokeh and great colour. The 18-135 is heavier and I use the battery grip which balances beautifully with the lens on the X-T1 but makes it heavier still. This combo is my holiday go to kit as a walk around. If i was being critical about the 18-135 it does distort a bit at the wide angle.

Here's an example of the boke...

b3ab3d36a23961e6e5c7d52420572ade.jpg

Bokeh colour and sharpness...

1f8a77e4c3cdf9876a02e3f2a447fdd5.jpg

Then theres the weather proofing.

If you dont mind the extra weight and dont need the f2.8 go for the 18-135.

Good luck with your decision.

[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.  All good points and suggestions.  spongee I appreciate the examples. Weight is not a problem and I have not had any real issues with any of my Fuji zooms/telephoto's. The 18-55 has been a good producer. My desire for more reach on occasion has me leaning strongly for the 18-135. 

I'll let you know what way I end up. 

Mike

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing back an old post, but I, like Mike B., have a few Fuji lenses as well but I am being strongly tempted by the 18-135. The 18-55 was a strong performer and used often when I took my last vacation. I also brought the 55-200, but the time and physical space to exchange them seemed to hold me (and mostly my wife) back a bit from enjoying our trip, so it spent most of its time in my backpack. If I get the 18-135, then I would leave the 55-200 at home and lighten my bag.

I wonder if Mike B. ended up getting the 18-135? I have a couple days to decide, but the 18-135 with the $300 USD rebate, is sitting in my cart and my purchase finger is getting a bit itchy. (uh oh!)

Hi m2usa,

I did purchase the 18-135.  My first images disappointed me.  Did some set up test shots and I just wasn't happy with it.  I sent it back and exchanged it for another copy of the same. Test shots were back to what I had expected from Fuji. It is slower and a bit more sluggish on the low light focusing. So far I'm happy. Will post a few images later.

Mike 

I use the 18-135 over the 18-55 mostly for the weather sealing, but what really pushed me to move on from the 18-55 were my primes and the 10-24 zoom. The extra weight didn't bother me. If I'm shooting on the wide end I go with the 10-24. If I'm shooting street photos, I use the 27mm. In most everyday situations, I'm choosing between the 23 and 35 in the morning and leaving it on most of the day, zooming with my feet as much as possible. 

So that meant I was essentially holding onto the 18-55 for the sake of the 36-55 range on it. Then you consider that it has an additional 2 stops of stabilization over the 18-55 and that made up my mind. Traded it to a friend for a film camera and 3 vintage Olympus lenses in almost perfect condition, 50mm, 100mm and 135mm. Been shooting with them on my X-T1 every now and then for fun.

...Then you consider that it has an additional 2 stops of stabilization over the 18-55 and that made up my mind...

Hi Nero, thanks for sharing your use of the 18-135. I did not know that there was a significant upgrade in the VR compared to the 18-55. That might be enough to get me to buy it just for the WR and the extra stops in low light.

Hi m2usa,

I did purchase the 18-135.  My first images disappointed me.  Did some set up test shots and I just wasn't happy with it.  I sent it back and exchanged it for another copy of the same. Test shots were back to what I had expected from Fuji. It is slower and a bit more sluggish on the low light focusing. So far I'm happy. Will post a few images later.

Mike 

Thanks for the update Mike B.  I'll keep an eye out for your examples.  I have a day left to decide.

I don't own the 18-135, but I've shot some really great shots with the very underrated 18-55mm. I was tempted to get the 18-135, but figured if I was going to go for more reach, why not just get the 55-200? I did, and the combination of both lenses not only gives me a faster aperture advantage, but also more reach. Yes, it's two lenses, but probably the only two you'd ever need for travel and casual shooting. The price for the 55-200 is already a steal, and the image quality is on par with other Fuji zooms.

Hi Nero, thanks for sharing your use of the 18-135. I did not know that there was a significant upgrade in the VR compared to the 18-55. That might be enough to get me to buy it just for the WR and the extra stops in low light.

I thought that the 18-55 had perfectly good stabilization, but the 18-135 is just astounding in the OIS performace. I took it on a trip down into Mammoth Cave and was shooting 1/2 second handheld shots. I'd do 3 shots for each photo whenever possible and typically get 2 of 3, then just look at the details for deciding which to keep in my editing. Can't say enough good things about the stabilization on that lens. You might be giving up some bokeh over the 18-55, but in terms of low-light performance (if you're not shooting action) it's no contest, the 18-135 is the way to go.

@ Nero - thanks for your note, but my willpower stood fast, and I avoided purchasing the 18-135 *whew* - I know it would be a great addition for my travel kit, but I guess I will have to wait for the next rebate go-around to see if I still want to get it. Glad to hear that the OIS is working so well for you!

Yard ornament

18-135 @ 135mm. 1/60 sec.f/5.6 iso 200

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18-135 @ 18mm 1/180 f/3.5 iso 200

Both have shallow depth of field. 18mm focal length shot at min distance.

I use the 18-135 and am very happy with it. Something not mentioned is that it works well with the Fuji extension tubes for macro shots. I have the MCEX-16 extension tube. Fuji lens vary in this ability. It can create a nice bokeh and sharp centre image but, of course you loose long focus. It takes awhile to get the zoom/focus/distance from subject equation worked out but the results are excellent when you do. If you are into flowers and botanical subjects this is a combo to consider. Yes, a dedicated 1:1 macro like the one coming would be great but most people don't need 1:1. The current 60mm macro is only 1:2 so its a stretch calling it a macro.

Just my experience.

I will be swapping my 18-55 and 55-200mm for a 18-135mm soon.

Reason

I now have a 27mm and 35mm

So for all my favorite focal lengths I have a prime. I use the 18-55 and 55-200 for family and vacation and I just looked at the Exif data for the last year and I have taken 6 shots above 140mm on the 55-200 of which 4 were keepers. This tells me all I need to know.

No I know that hte 55-200 will be sharper at 135mm than the 18-135mm because a) its a better lens alledgedly and B) 135mm is the middle of the formers zoom range and the far limit of the latter.

However back to exif data again, and the number of photo's taken over 90mm on the 55-200 is 56 compared to about 1500 shots between 55mm and 90mm so for my personal use I am comfortable.

I think the bottom line is thanks to Ebay the best thing to do with lens is buy then (ideally SH) use them in anger, review your Exif data and then change out the stuff you don't use for something you might. I am certain that the number of shots above 55m will double when I have the 18-135mm due to not having to change lens.

G

G

I have to say if I haven't mentioned it already I L.O.V.E. my 18-55.  It is tack sharp, small and lightweight. The 18-55 came as a kit lens when I purchased my X-E1 back in February 2013.  Now, I'm with the X-T1, but still use the 18-55.   I've tried (in store) the 18-135 but I find it too large.  I also like the faster aperture of the 18-55 at the wide end but more so at the long range. 

If I had to choose between both of them today, I think I would still stick with the 18-55 for it's compactness, sharpness, clarity, and size.

I also own the 55-200, the 35 1.4 (which you'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers) and the Zeiss 12mm 2.8.  

Tonight I'm leaving on a ten day stock shoot.  In the small camera bag that sits in the drivers seat of the automobile I have the 18-55 on camera, the 55-200, four batteries, and my filters, and an extra memory card.

In the trunk (or boot if you will), I have my camera backpack with the rest of my X gear, plus my Nikon equipment, more batteries, two tripods, etc.  I believe the combination of my 18-55, and the semi-fast 55-200 will capture 95% of my photographic needs.

Hopefully I'll be able to post images later.