PD Power Bank for Fujifilm X-S10

Hi, I'm looking for a power bank with the PD feature to power up my Fujifilm X-S10. I read that Fujifilm has recommended two Anker power banks for this which are,
PowerCore Speed 20000 PD & PowerCore+ 26800 PD. But none of these products are available in the local market in my country. Instead, I found an alternative option called, Powerlogy Ultra-Compact 30W PD 20000mAh

Power outputs of the above products are as following,

PowerCore Speed 20000 PD - PD Output: 5V=3A, 9V=2.6A, 15V=1.6A - (22.5W max)

PowerCore+ 26800 PD - PD Output: 5V=3A, 9V=3A, 12V=2.5A, 15V=2A, 20V=1.25A - (22.5W max)

Powerlogy Ultra-Compact 30W PD 20000 - PD Input & Output: 30W 5V=3A, 9V=3A, 12V=2.5A, 15V=2A, 20V=1.5A

My question is that, if I bought the Powerlogy 30W power bank, will there be an issue in case of delivering power to the camera while it's recording video despite the fact that it's not officially recommended by Fujifilm? Will it be able to handle the power output from that power bank?

Thank you.

OK, I did a whole bunch of research for you and found that the X-S10 uses about 1.1 amps (1100ma) while recording 4K video.

When the camera is off, the power bank will charge the battery. However, this is not like a GoPro that can run directly off a power bank. The camera will indeed use some (not all) power from the external USB power supply (power bank in this case) to help run the camera, but only while the battery is inside. This way, you can even use a low-power USB 2.0 port (500ma) as external auxiliary power, because the battery has enough reserve to run the camera by itself. So the extra power from the USB port is basically used to slow the battery discharge.

What this means is that you can use any USB power bank whatsoever to help power the camera, as long as you start with a fully-charged battery in the camera. The larger the capacity of the power bank, the longer the camera should run. If you turn the camera off between takes, the camera battery will be recharged by the power bank, and that will give you the most shooting time.

I measured the current drawn from the USB port (again while recording 4K video) and it went no higher than 860ma, which means that some power is always being taken from the camera battery.

Edited by CatsAreGods
clarification and USB current info

4 hours ago, CatsAreGods said:

OK, I did a whole bunch of research for you and found that the X-S10 uses about 1.1 amps (1100ma) while recording 4K video.

When the camera is off, the power bank will charge the battery. However, this is not like a GoPro that can run directly off a power bank. The camera will indeed use some (not all) power from the external USB power supply (power bank in this case) to help run the camera, but only while the battery is inside. This way, you can even use a low-power USB 2.0 port (500ma) as external auxiliary power, because the battery has enough reserve to run the camera by itself. So the extra power from the USB port is basically used to slow the battery discharge.

What this means is that you can use any USB power bank whatsoever to help power the camera, as long as you start with a fully-charged battery in the camera. The larger the capacity of the power bank, the longer the camera should run. If you turn the camera off between takes, the camera battery will be recharged by the power bank, and that will give you the most shooting time.

I measured the current drawn from the USB port (again while recording 4K video) and it went no higher than 860ma, which means that some power is always being taken from the camera battery.

Thanks a lot for your time and explanation. Since I don't have any type of power bank, guess I'll be going with the Powerlogy option since its PD output seems similar to the Anker's.

Edited by kushanjanith

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, pringerx said:

Could you also power the camera while recording using USB to your computer or does it have to be a power bank?  

Thanks!

The camera doesn't know or care what's supplying USB power, but I'm not sure if you're talking about recording OVER the USB connection. Most computer USB ports are limited to how much power they will put out.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:23 AM, CatsAreGods said:

The camera doesn't know or care what's supplying USB power, but I'm not sure if you're talking about recording OVER the USB connection. Most computer USB ports are limited to how much power they will put out.

Thanks! Just curious when you use external power do you get a little charger icon beside the battery, I was getting this icon initially but it seems now it has gone away.  When I got to the USB POWER SUPPLY SETTING, it seems to think I am connecting with a lightning terminal (gives me a prompt saying: UNABLE TO SUPPLY POWER VIA DEVICE WITH Lightning Terminal, SET TO OFF).

• 1 year later...

Would love to know if the powerbank worked for you 

Im exhausted from researching, its been months Im researching for an external battery for my xt1( I love it so much but the battery is horrible, lasts very short) .

I would LOVE if anyone who uses the np-w126 batteries  could post their dummy battery-powerbank/ wall charger  solution, recommend anything that worked for you and if something didnt, please let us know too!

thank you ahead, I will buy something and when I will, I will share mine.

Im planning on using a usb c dummy battery with a PD 10000mah 22.5W powerbank ( I will meter it before using like the YT videos recommended so it wont fry my baby) 

6 hours ago, xt1 lover said:

Would love to know if the powerbank worked for you 

Im exhausted from researching, its been months Im researching for an external battery for my xt1( I love it so much but the battery is horrible, lasts very short) .

I would LOVE if anyone who uses the np-w126 batteries  could post their dummy battery-powerbank/ wall charger  solution, recommend anything that worked for you and if something didnt, please let us know too!

thank you ahead, I will buy something and when I will, I will share mine.

Im planning on using a usb c dummy battery with a PD 10000mah 22.5W powerbank ( I will meter it before using like the YT videos recommended so it wont fry my baby) 

You do have some options.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/accessories/cp-w126/

The X-T1’s battery cover does not have the rubber grommet that other cameras have so some folks leave the cover open, the battery does not usually fall out 😀, you can connect this to a power bank or ac-dc adapter, just make sure the voltage and amps match up. There are third-party versions of the cp-w126 out there as well.

For the X-T1, Fujifilm recommends using the VG-XT1 grip along with the cp-w126, which should help take care of the dangling battery issue. You can pick these up on your favorite auction site. I have not used one, so I do not know if the rubber grommet is there on its battery cover - door.