Streetphotography (open thread)

Mehrdad

London , 2014

x100s

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Snappy snaps,Muswell Hill,London 2014

x100s 

Almocageme,Portugal,2014

X100s

Walking the streets of Kuala Lumpur just 3 days ago, so I could develop the pics only incamera and on my iPad...

Kuala Lumpur is a really fascinating city.. But what I really don't get is: who's buying all these crappy designer goods. The whole city seems to be one big shopping mall...

Beautiful pictures all around .. but.. if fuji colors are so pleasing, how come 50% of the pictures posted are B&W? I have never seen such a distribution in posted material before. 

Were colors not a major part of this Carnival? was the camera's rendition of these colors not pleasing enough? 

Carnival! From the 'Carnival of Cultures', June 6, 2015. All shot with Fujifilm X-T1 + Fujinon XF 18-55 mm f/2.8-4 OIS R.

CdK2015-5.jpg

CdK2015-1.jpg

CdK2015-9.jpg

Beautiful pictures all around .. but.. if fuji colors are so pleasing, how come 50% of the pictures posted are B&W? I have never seen such a distribution in posted material before. 

Were colors not a major part of this Carnival? was the camera's rendition of these colors not pleasing enough? 

My decision for black and white has nothing to do with the question of how the camera reproduces colors. It is a creative decision. And that has fallen in this case in favor of a monochrome reproduction. Others may decide differently. To answer your question: Fuji cameras have an excellent color reproduction in most cases. But that is no reason to photograph everything in color. When I use color, I do it very specifically. In these pictures, everyone can easily imagine that the costumes were colorful. But for my intention when I took and processed the photographs the colors were just not relevant.  

My decision for black and white has nothing to do with the question of how the camera reproduces colors. It is a creative decision. And that has fallen in this case in favor of a monochrome reproduction. Others may decide differently. To answer your question: Fuji cameras have an excellent color reproduction in most cases. But that is no reason to photograph everything in color. When I use color, I do it very specifically. In these pictures, everyone can easily imagine that the costumes were colorful. But for my intention when I took and processed the photographs the colors were just not relevant.  

Sorry i took it all out on your pics. I obviously know that each person used Create and Artistic decisions to get the the final product. I was perplexed to see so many Fuji users end up with choosing black & white in the end. Again, i only chose your pictures because they were at the end of the thread plus the subject allowed me to exemplify my argument. 

Sorry i took it all out on your pics. I obviously know that each person used Create and Artistic decisions to get the the final product. I was perplexed to see so many Fuji users end up with choosing black & white in the end. Again, i only chose your pictures because they were at the end of the thread plus the subject allowed me to exemplify my argument. 

I can not answer the fundamental question. Everyone will have individual reasons to choose black and white or color for their photographs. One reason could be that black and white photography is a classic form of representation. It has a great graphical potential and offers a high degree of abstraction in the image design. Personally I shoot in black and white and color. Some color photos (just a few) have been posted in this forum others not. An example: Green Tree (not posted). Here color is essential for me. This picture was taken with a Fuji camera too - an X-T1 with a Fujinon XF 16mm f/1.4 lens. Also most of my flower and close-up photos are color photography (X-T1 & Fujinon XF 60 mm f/2.4: Tulips). The decision is always aware. It is no coincidence!

if fuji colors are so pleasing, how come 50% of the pictures posted are B&W?

I think that many people who shoot street (especially street) are just a bit nostalgic. Many great origin street photographers shot b&w and these pictures were sooooo beautiful!!! So people try to replicate that. And that's good!!!

For me black & white photography has its own magical look. I really love the strong contrast between a dark black and a light white. Can't describe it right but I really love it. Here is an example. Not a real street shot but I really like the b&w processing so much!!! Also the added fake grain gives the shot a very nice vintage look!

15846998038_41ef6f1193_c.jpg

Gone by KwyjiboVanDeKamp

But here's also an opposite example what colours can do. Really love the punchy yellow!

16982217181_1bc1f11d44_c.jpg

Yellow by KwyjiboVanDeKamp

Sleepers in Metropolis (Malaysia, June 2015)

Pssssssssst...!

(City of Ipoh, Malaysia)

happy summer couple - perth, western australia

X-T1 with XF 56mm