Streetphotography (open thread)

Mehrdad

X pro 2  23mm f1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fine morning in Quimper, Brittany, so the SDFs are out on the street.  SDF means 'sans domicile fixe'  =  Homeless.

Fright Hair

Better in B&W!

With his dogs

II wouldn't say that. I'd say the title is very unfortunate, not because I am shocked but because I firmly believe a phtograph's interpretation should be up to the viewer, it's not the role of the photographer to tell people how they should interpret it. Something like Street Name - Year would be much better imo. I don't like titles that are oriented because they seem to imply the viewer is not intelligent enough to make a link on his own about what's happening, so he needs the help of the pohotgrapher to explain him what it's about.

Now if one discards the title, he can imagine anything. Would it be called "dreaming about fine lingerie" people would react differently. I know a man from poland who would find this woman a bit underweight. It's all a matter of personal perception and interpretation.

I would argue that it's really a shame that some people think one should not photograph fat people because it's disrepectful, or children because it's creepy.

If the viewer has issues in his head and thinks immediatly about sex when seing children, or about morbidity when seing overweight people it is entirely HIS problem, not the photographer's and certainly not mine. I don't mind my children being photographed because they are part of an interresting scene or just because they are beautiful.

Why could only beautiful slim women, flowers, sunsets and men in suits be photographed? How is that any more sane and democratic than photographing everyone, the homeless included?

How is photographing the ass of a beautiful woman next to the rear of a race car and call it "nice bottoms" less exploitative than to photograph a not-so-slim one next to a scrawny mannequin and call it "slender dreams"? It is not. It's all about perception and street photography is often about juxtapositions of things that work in the picture without necessarily having anything to do in real life (here we can't even be sure that the woman is looking at the mannequin due to the angle, that made the picture work in the first place)

The title is unfortunate but the picture does not discredit street photography which is exploiting life to make interresting pictures imo. Somehow nobody has risen a concern about the '"out of sync" picture capturing a woman that one could depict as being probably anorexic.

i couldn't add a thing    well said

It's an interesting topic, and although we're reviving an issue from quite a while back I think it deserves attention and I'd certainly agree with citral. I especially agree with the notion that ideally titles would just be Location - Year. I think it's best to let the viewer come up with their own interpretation. Sometimes (not all the time, and not necessarily in the case of this 'Slender Dreams' shot) I feel that overly descriptive titles are an attempt to rescue an image by drawing the viewer's eye to one particular element or story within the shot. Were the 'Slender Dreams' shot to be, for example 'London, 2015', you would be left with your own story of what's going on in that picture, and should that story fit alongside that implied by 'Slender Dreams' then I believe it would also lead you to question your own perspective on how you view this particular walk of life. 

The whole debate brings up an interesting quote in my mind from Larry Fink's book 'On Composition and Improvisation', as recommended to me about a week ago:

'"Don't ever judge that woman, that older woman with the limp or the gait, because you are she. You will be she. You are of her, as she is of you." I still retain that advice today. For me, there is the underlying force of perception and perspective, and certainly, judgment can be a part of that, but it should not be the dominant force.'

I guess at the core of it, we're not necessarily discussing 'judgement' right now, but more the concept of forcing your own interpretation on the viewer. Larry Fink goes on to discuss finding empathy with your subject and finding elements of yourself within the photograph. I feel that perhaps as photographers it's our job to present elements (and undoubtedly a part of that will be influenced by our own thoughts, but arguably that gives the image a personal flair) and let the viewer build up what they think it means from there. Even if you're intentionally hinting at a story in a frame, I think to then state it in the title removes the possibility that someone might see something different. 

Ramble over, and hopefully not a complete waste of your time to read this! It's all just one man's opinion, and I guess that's what makes photography an art not a science.

On a side note, if an image has got someone's hackles up then I think it's done well to spark an emotional response, but again, that's just my opinion. 

Few pix from Paris with my xt1 and the following f2 lenses: 35mm, 18mm, 90mm.

Edited by jsnsndr

Jerusalem, X100

2 x street shots from Liverpool a month or two ago. (X-T1 & 27mm).