Use USB-C to USB-A or USB-C to USB-C to transfer photos to PC?

Sounds like a newbie question, but here we go!

I am the proud owner of an X-Pro1  and X-Pro3, where I connected to my PC with a USB-C to USB-A cable to tranfer photos to my PC.

Now I tried to do the same with the GFX 50r... and that didn't work. I was struggling for quite awhile figuring out what the damn problem was... and then I noticed only USB-C to USB-C works. Is that normal? Or should I be able to connect USB-C to USB-A?

Thanks!

D

You should be able to use a USB-C to USB-A cable for the transfer. USB-C is simply the connector type, it does not speed or slow the data transfer.

The GFX-50R uses what used to be called the USB-3.0 speed protocol, (it was renamed USB-3.1 gen 1) which should be in the capabilities of most USB-C to USB-A cables, as well as the USB port on the computer and on the camera. These are supposed to be backwards compatible, in case one end is not up to the task, the other end slows down to accommodate the situation. Does your USB-C to USB-A cable have blue in its connector or white? It should be blue, white means it is actually using USB-2.0 speeds, which should still work, but ... 

it could be the cable is going bad, or one of the ports is just throwing a fit, just because it can.

Interesting reply thank you. I wasn't aware of the blue/white so checked my cables one of the is black inside the USB-A end which I have used to transfer images from 50R to Mac.

I always have SD-Card out and into a reader so I never checked my cables.

However I just loaded Fujifilm Acquire and Backed up the 50 Settings to desktop. So I know the cable works but I cannot get it to download the image files. Using the cable with blue on the USB-A end. 

Edited by SPB
wanted to add a little bit more.

Thank you for your answer jerry! 

So... USB-C to USB-C ---> no problem for both GFX 50r and X-Pro3
Then I have two USB-C to USB-A cables, both WHITE ---> one works slowly, the other one doesn't work with the GFX 50r but it does with the X-Pro3 :)

25 minutes ago, Dimitri said:

Then I have two USB-C to USB-A cables, both WHITE ---> one works slowly, the other one doesn't work with the GFX 50r but it does with the X-Pro3 :)

Neither 100S or 50R, will transfer images with any of my cables. They both transfer the camera settings with all cables! Strange.

I only find this out after many happy months of GFX ownership because I always remove card to download through a reader!

4 hours ago, SPB said:

Interesting reply thank you. I wasn't aware of the blue/white so checked my cables one of the is black inside the USB-A end which I have used to transfer images from 50R to Mac.

I always have SD-Card out and into a reader so I never checked my cables.

However I just loaded Fujifilm Acquire and Backed up the 50 Settings to desktop. So I know the cable works but I cannot get it to download the image files. Using the cable with blue on the USB-A end. 

I have a small typo (mistake) in that I should have written the white ends are originally USB 1.0, but many manufacturers use it for USB-2.0. this may help: https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2014/01/12/How-to-tell-what-type-of-USB-connector-you-have-by-color.aspx

Check your menu settings, for PC Connection Mode. It sounds like you have it set to USB RAW CONV. / BACKUP RESTORE -- this is what it should be to copy the settings to your computer. To transfer images, set it to USB CARD READER, then some of your programs will be able to transfer the images.

4 hours ago, Dimitri said:

It could be the GFX just does not want to work with that older type cable. Try it with a different newer cable. But it does sound like your C - C cable is working.

2 hours ago, jerryy said:

I have a small typo (mistake) in that I should have written the white ends are originally USB 1.0, but many manufacturers use it for USB-2.0. this may help: https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2014/01/12/How-to-tell-what-type-of-USB-connector-you-have-by-color.aspx

Check your menu settings, for PC Connection Mode. It sounds like you have it set to USB RAW CONV. / BACKUP RESTORE -- this is what it should be to copy the settings to your computer. To transfer images, set it to USB CARD READER, then some of your programs will be able to transfer the images.

Interesting I was expecting a drive icon to appear on Desktop for camera. Nothing, but opening the Mac app Image Capture, allows the downloads and recognises both cameras and allows me to download to Mac to a folder named after the camera. So now I bet all my cables work! Learn something new every day!

3 hours ago, jerryy said:

Thank you for this link! Never seen yellow or red on a cable before.