Using manual focus lenses on Fuji X-E20, etc

Hektor Emil

I am aware of the set up of the manual focus lenses but I have a question that ought to be obvious but...You set up the lens and focus at maximum aperture. I have ordered a Meinke 50mm f2. So then you get a reading for the exposure you want and let us say it is at f22. Since the lens has a manual diaphragm you must stop down to f 22 to take the photo. Correct? This has been my difficulty using older 35mm lenses on the Fuji digital bodies.

Thanks for reading

I‘m using a lot of manul lenses with different cameras, including Fuji, and I still don’t understand your issue. Stopping down ‚a bit‘ means f5.6 or 8 for me at normal daylight conditions.  But even when using f18 and above under rare circumstances, after adjusting the exposure time there is no problem seeing the subject and adjusting the focus.

I am only saying that I found it difficult to shoot photos sometimes at f8 or whatever. This is precisely why people have bought auto lenses for decades and not buying preset lenses. For people to suggest that it is no different than using f2 for everything are not being honest. If the subject is static is one thing but other subjects might not be so easy 

15 hours ago, Hektor Emil said:

If the subject is static is one thing but other subjects might not be so easy 

Well, that's the point, I think. A preset or full manual aperture lens, let alone a manual focus lens, isn't ideal for fast-moving subjects for that reason, although I've managed to get a few good shots of birds in flight using one. But "managing to get a few" and "doing good stuff on a regular basis" are two different things 😺

PS Since you're using manual focus, you can also use focus peaking, and that generally solves the problem of focusing at a smaller aperture. Just change the live view setting so you're not looking at a dark viewfinder.

Edited by CatsAreGods
Add PS

Thank you! I had done some research but sometimes I might miss something or misunderstood what the writer is saying. I have been so used to auto lens. I shoot a lot of film so manual focus is not the issue. If I was foolish enough to use a Leica IIIf I would give it up for good. A Leicaflex SL will spoil anyone 🙂