Best first Fuji camera for us?

Sagnet

Hi! We're looking to take out first steps into the world of Fuji. There are so many options, and they all seem good! So it's easy to get lost, and I could use some advice.

A bit of a background: I am purely a hobby photographer. Mainly taking pictures of kids and family, both at home and when we're out and about. That includes some prepared portrait sessions, but mostly just when bringing the camera to whatever we're up to.

My wife has had some training as a photographer, and also had some photography as part of a previous job. So she has a good eye for composition, lighting etc. I'm deeply into the technical/theoretical side of it, and wanting to develop my artistic/creative skills more.

We used to have a Canon Rebel T4i, which we upgraded to an EOS 90D recently. We have a decent set of lenses: Zooms that range from 11 to 250mm (for crop), as well as a few f/1.4 primes. The reason we want to move to Fuji is primarily that the DSLR is starting to feel big and heavy. We don't bring it along with us as much as we really want to, because of the size.

Besides the smaller form factor, we are interested in the Film Simulations, and getting to use a good EVF. We are interested in stills only, video is not important. Reliable AF, image quality and low light performance are the main things we want from a camera.

These are the options we are considering:

• X100V: Seems like a fun camera to use. The leaf shutter and on board ND filter would open some possibilities. I like the form factor, as well as the design. Beautiful camera. However, we would probably need to keep the Canon for more specialized shoots like portraits, etc.
  • X-S10: The form factor is familiar when coming from a DSLR. Small and light weight, seems to tick off most boxes. However, this body seems to be marketed more towards the video segment, which we are not that interested in.
  • X-T3: Would be a good replacement for our Canon. An allround camera that we could use for anything. The problem is, is this a big enough of a jump down in size/weight, to make us use it more thant we would the Canon?
  • X-T30: The X-T3's smaller sibling. Would probably do the job as an allround camera very well. I'm not sure how good the EVF is though, compared to the T3.
  • X-E4: Very portable. However, I would probably like to have a bigger body for the bigger lenses. And also not sure about the EVF.
  • X-T4, X-Pro*, X-H* etc: Too large/too expensive at the moment.

Which route do you think would be the best for us into the Fuji landscape?

Edited by Sagnet

If you can't use big bodies like xt-3 , then definitely go for xe-4 or xt-30 or xs-10 . yes xs-10 looks more video oriented but that never compromised the photo side of things , for pictures xe4 and xs-10 and xt-30 is good . but in video xe-4 and xs-10 has a slight advantage over xt-30 . Also there is grips , thumb rest etc.. to make smaller bodies more comfortable to hold !.The evf refresh speed is same with xt-30 and xt-3 in "boost mode" , but as all bigger bodies xt-3 has a bigger evf with more resolution and magnification. So it come down more to your personal preference about the looks and design of these 3 camera's , if you are only focusing on the photo side of thing's !. i hope this helps !. have a nice day ! . Also there is more experienced shooter's in this forum , whose opinion's you can listen too , before choosing. have a good day ! 

Edited by K PRETHVIRAJ

Welcome to the rabbit hole. You mentioned little video. This expands your options, as you won't need the latest, highest power, and most feature laden models. These are also the most expensive models. You mentioned EVF. I have zero issue with the 2.36 million dot EVF found in all models available today except the X-T3, X-T4, and X-Pro3. I also get your point on small and light. It is one of the reasons I went with Fujifilm X, but I didn't realize how important it was until I experienced it. I also get the small body and large lens conundrum. I'm going through that myself. What's the point of a body the size and weight of a deck of cards mounted to a lens the size and weight of a bridge abutment? Something else that strikes me about Fujifilm is the capability and image quality throughout the offerings in the Fujifilm line. You get the same image quality in both the least and most expensive bodies.

From here, I would have you ask yourself these questions:

• do you need 4th gen hardware power? (26.4 megapixels and the highest performance autofocus and tracking. Video?)
  • would you buy used? (lightly used 3rd gen models are available such as X-T20, X-Pro2, X-T2, etc.)
  • which form factor do you prefer? (I like the rangefinder form factor so I can avoid jamming my greasy nose into a touch-screen)
  • do you need pro features? (weather sealing, dual card slots, battery grips, all metal bodies, etc.) 

Based on what you posted, I'd guess the X-T30 seems to be in your wheelhouse, unless the answers to the questions lead you elsewhere. And when you're done with the body, lenses will be even harder. The good news is I don't think you can make a choice that doesn't work. And you alluded to the magic words - film simulations. A few weeks ago I took a deep dive into them, and I can't believe how powerful they are. 

Welcome to Fujifilm X and Good Luck!