Hawks Factory leica M lens to fuji x mount helicoid adapter review

Archiea

Hey gang...

Just passing some info from my three years of using this device...

This adapter adapt leica M lenses to the fuji mount, with the additional feature of having a built in helicoid that allows to extend the lens out to allow for more macs shots.  In the case of the Leica lens line up, since it has a minimum focusing distance of 0.7 meters, the adapter helps overcome this limitation to enable close focus, but not necessarily macro level... 

IMHO, if you're going to get a leica M adapter to your fuji, this is the one.  The ability to extend your close focusing to about half of the 0.7 meter rating of leica lenses is a plus.  its construction is solid. The motion of the helicoid feels just as smooth as when first purchased.  No chipped paint like in other mount adapters.  Helicoid activation is a switch on he lower left (lens facing away from you in normal camera handling position) in a very natural position of you are accustomed to the leica focusing tab.  Its far enough away to not interfere with normal focusing.  You push forward on the spring loaded locking mechanism and rotate the helicoid to the desired depth...you will see the lens extend out less than a centimeter.  The entire circumference of the helicoid is riveted for easier grasping to turn the helicoid from any position, however its best operated by the tab that unlocks it. 

In short, the helicoid feels like an extension fo the camera/lens itself, rather than the adapter. 

Size?

Slightly larger than a straight adapter, to accommodate the helicoid and its operation

Cons?

Its a dumb adapter, so no lens information is passed from the lens to camera. 

While the mount to camera seems solid, the mount to lens seems to have just the slightest wiggle.. might be after three years of use, but figure I mention it. It appears to have no affect on the optical performance or security of the mounted lens.  However I've never noticed this with a natively mounted lens. 

facing the mounted adapter, the leica lens has to be mounted just counterclockwise to the indicted mounting point.  No Biggie. 

FYI, I have no experience with the fujifilm branded leica m adapter or the Novoflex adapter to compare. Only the CRAP Kipon adapters that don't even fit the leica lenses!!! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!