Best telephoto lens?

Sammyc

Hello. I'm fairly new to Fuji and have been using the XT-30 with the 18-55 lens for a few months and I'm very impressed. I mainly do travel and landscapes shots with some portraiture and would like to buy a telephoto lens but not sure which one to go for. The 50-140 sounds great but is out of my price range so I'm looking at the 50-230 and 55-200. Has anyone used either or both and has any recommendations in terms of sharpness, practicality etc? Here are the sort of shots I have in mind. Thanks in advance 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

The best is the one you can afford, I suppose. I have been an armature to a career pro., using all kinds of gear. While I had some of the best lenses money could buy (and still miss them), I can say that getting a shot with 'lower grade'/affordable in a budget gear is still achievable. Sometimes art is limited by the equipment, often though, it is something to be figured out and overcome. 

I have used both. I currently own an XC50-230, but I no longer own an XF55-200. 

I will use the XC50-230 until it no longer produces images that make me gasp. I like the color and contrast of the XC better than the XF, although the XF was sometimes a little sharper.

If I ever move up to a better telephoto, it will cost ten times what I paid for my XC50-230, and it will weigh four times as much. And I think it a wise move on your part to consider weight in a travel lens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Following this in case of any further updates! 

I have an X-T30 and would like a telephoto lens to give me more reach for landscape shots and the option to try wildlife photography.

I’m struggling to decide between the 55-200 and 70-300, it seems there are pros and cons for both. 

Any recommendations are welcome!