Fuji XT4 auto ISO for video

nevrozel

Hi, I had an XT3 and now I have an XT4 since last year, mostly using it for family video shooting. I am quite knowledgeable in video as a enthusiast user but cannot find the solution to a single issue, which I believe might be Fuji specific. 

I have my XT4 setup for video as follows: optimised movie mode, shutter speed on manual 1/50, 25fps, aperture on manual (aperture changes ruin the video with my 18-55 f28-4 Fuji lens) but ISO on auto. I am more of a run&gun type of shooter and coming from a lot of Sonys, I tend to use some auto settings for convenience, in this case the ISO.

The problem I always have with Fuji is that it is very very sensitive with the auto ISO, its values jump up and down like crazy and ruins the video. Even if I have the same scene, just one person in the frame talking or moving a little, the auto ISO gets crazy all the time, brightening and darkening the image non-stop. On my previous Sony cameras (a6300, a6500) the ISO changes were much more stable and consistent, they were not obvious during shooting.

Is there a setting I am missing or a solution to this and still using ISO on auto? 

Thank you for the help!

Auto aperture and auto iso "stepping" in video mode are well know issues with XT3 and XT4.

Latest fw mitigated (but not solved) the problem.

Besides, from what you described, issue could also be related to the metering setting. Check if you have set spot and if so, switch to multi or average and test again.

Do let we know.

Gaetano

Generally, Auto ISO is not recommended for video for the very problem you are having. The solution is to dial in an ISO setting based on the shooting conditions at the time. Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for 🙂

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Some elements in (autofocus) lenses are „floating“, so I guess what you are experiencing is normal.
    • How do I turn off the electronic shutter in the menu - the option is grayed out and I cannot select the mechanical option
    • I'm having trouble finding a way to attach a right-angle viewfinder to the Fuji X-H1 camera. Does anyone have experience with how the angle viewfinder behaves in combination with the EVF? Is the Minolta frame diameter of the right angle viewfinder suitable for attaching to the Fuji XH1 (or XT1, 2, 3, 5)? Does anyone have knowledge about which eyepiece is compatible with the Fuji X system? Thank you in advance for any assistance and information you can provide.    
    • I purchased a gently used XF 80mm f/2.8 aspherical macro for my X-T5. Not being familiar with this lens but having had experience with the Leica T mount 60mm macro and Canon and Zeiss macros, I was surprised that I felt what might be best described as a loose lens element that shifted when I tilted the lens, even before being mounted to the camera. In manual focus mode, the lens is fine, but there is a distinct “wobble” when the lens is in autofocus mode. I reported this to the company (I bought it from KEH), and they agreed this was odd and accepted it back for a full refund. I just got a replacement lens and the same thing is happening. I’ve never had an experience in which I feel a lens element loose inside the housing. Is this normal? Should I return it (again)?
    • Old post but hope this can help. You have to make sure that exp. comp. is set to zero in P, S or A mode before you go in to manual mode. If the comp is set to, let say +5, and this is of the range for the settings in manual mode, twisting the comp dial (left dial) want do any changes.