X Raw Studio learning tools and related post processing questions

First, a little context: I've been using Olympus M4/3 cameras for the last decade and been very happy with them.  I've had a satisfying post processing regime using DxO after a long learning curve.  Recently, medical issues have made it difficult to carry around and use even a minimal M4/3 kit, so I looked around and came to the X100V.  It's been love at first use in many ways, but I need some help in figuring out a good raw conversion/post processing as DxO cannot be used with most Fuji cameras including the X100V.  I've been playing with X RAW Studio but find it somewhat confusing and I find the Fuji on live manual somewhat less than helpful.

I'd like suggestions (books, websites, blogs, etc.) for learning more about using X RAW Studio and/or other post processing software that you think is worthwhile.  FYI, I have explored Capture One and don't particularly like it's interface and I'm somewhat allergic to Adobe products for non-rational reasons.  Secondly, what's your experience/thoughts on just shooting JPG and doing minimal post processing on the JPGs in the software of my choice?

3 hours ago, Rene Theberge said:

First, a little context: I've been using Olympus M4/3 cameras for the last decade and been very happy with them.  I've had a satisfying post processing regime using DxO after a long learning curve.  Recently, medical issues have made it difficult to carry around and use even a minimal M4/3 kit, so I looked around and came to the X100V.  It's been love at first use in many ways, but I need some help in figuring out a good raw conversion/post processing as DxO cannot be used with most Fuji cameras including the X100V.  I've been playing with X RAW Studio but find it somewhat confusing and I find the Fuji on live manual somewhat less than helpful.

I'd like suggestions (books, websites, blogs, etc.) for learning more about using X RAW Studio and/or other post processing software that you think is worthwhile.  FYI, I have explored Capture One and don't particularly like it's interface and I'm somewhat allergic to Adobe products for non-rational reasons.  Secondly, what's your experience/thoughts on just shooting JPG and doing minimal post processing on the JPGs in the software of my choice?

i mainly use capture one  . but since you don't like it . i would suggest luminar which has a different interface and works well with fujifilm files . take pictures in good lighting and low iso , so there won't be much need of post processing and try different film simulations . unless you edit each and every pictures ,like after importing and cataloging etc... this workflow will suit you too. i always try to imagine how i want the picture to look , so i dial in the settings to best match the output i wanted , so i don't usually need to process and even when i have to process , it's simply the highlights , shadows and saturation sliders , a little bit . if that's the case for you too , then shoot raw+jpeg and imagine the output before shooting ,so you only have to tweak a few pictures you take , and at low iso the jpeg files are usable (no noise etc..) direct from camera !. hope this helps ! . have a nice day ahead !

There is DarkTable http://darktable.org

and Fujifilm Raw Converter: https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/software/raw-file-converter-ex-powered-by-silkypix/

Both of these are free and very worthwhile.

It seems strange to process jpegs other than to resize them. It certainly can be done with decent results if you saved the original in-camera at 100% quality and only edit them once; never edit - save as jpeg, reopen, edit -save as jpeg, and so on because the lossy format will degrade the image so much the image gets ugly. Perhaps it is better to tune your in-camera settings to give you the desired outcome. The raw converters will let you experiment with various choices and not damage the original.

Since Fujifilm released X Raw Studio, capturing raw + jpg is not as needed since one can now just connect the camera to the computer and use X Raw Studio if there is a need for the camera made jpg version, which in turn, saves space on the camera card while shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

I use On1 and am very happy with it.

The file management is very effective.

I shoot jpeg and RAW in my XS-10 and like the fact that I can create a virtual copy of jpegs or RAW files for editing.

Download a trial of the On1 Photo Raw software and watch some of their tutorial videos.