Which 56mm?

kielinski

I stopped in to my local camera shop to actually handle these lenses.  Both felt great and were of sturdy construction.  After reading online reviews I'm finding it difficult to justify buying the APD over the regular lens.

APD Pros:

Smoother bokeh

Maybe slightly more contrast

APD Cons:

About 1 stop less light transmission (could be a problem in low light conditions)

Considerably more expensive

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?

An argument in favour of the non-APD version would be its support for phase-detection AF. It all boils down to the question whether an extremely pleasant bokeh is of paramount importance to you. If it is then by all means go for the APD. Otherwise the normal, non-APD version is the more versatile choice.

Indeed, i have read that too about the phase detect AF. Another Con.

That's a lot of Cons for one special effect, you will have something unique that's for sure, but on the other hand some people say it almost looks too artificial -like photoshop blur. :(

Also, there are many ways available to DIY by modifying a standard UV filter for example:

But .. i do get the appeal of wanting to have that special version of a already fantastic lens. :rolleyes:

Maintaining maximum performance that a DIY hack of course will not.

Also, there are many ways available to DIY by modifying a standard UV filter for example.

Yeah, but achieving the APD effect – excellent sharpness within the depth of field, combined with a really smooth bokeh both behind and in front of this zone – by any other means is next to impossible.

An undercorrected lens (the standard choice for a smooth background bokeh) would also compromise sharpness within the depth of field and the foreground bokeh suffers as well.

• 4 months later...

I couldn't find an official 56mm thread so I'll post here.

On Monday I won an auction for the 56mm but unfortunately it wasn't as nice as described and I sent it back. I did get to test it out though. Absolutely beautiful image quality!

My question is, how is the focus ring on everyone's 56? The one I had had a really slippery focus ring and I couldn't even put the lens on the camera without spinning the focus ring and aperture ring inadvertently a few times.

Now, I'm just wondering if paying more for a brand new 56mm is worth it, rather than trying to save $100 on a used one.

I'd get the regular 56mm, which is around €300,00 cheaper at the moment, and spend the difference in a 90mm f2. This would give more compression, smoother bokeh and transitions than a 56mm. 

Gamblor, the ring is awkward indeed, I usually grab the end of the lens or the lens hood. 

Ah ok (re: the ring). Does yours turn super easily then? I'm just wondering if that was just the used one I got. On Fuji vs Fuji he says it's tight.

As for which one to get, I'm definitely getting the regular 56mm. I was just wondering whether to pay 90,000 yen for a brand new one or keep looking for a used one in good condition for 75000 to 80,000yen.

I'm definitely not interested in the 90mm as 1)my studio is too small and 2) I'd rather get the 50-140

Ah ok (re: the ring). Does yours turn super easily then? I'm just wondering if that was just the used one I got. On Fuji vs Fuji he says it's tight.

Focus ring is quite tight. Nevertheless it doesn't help mounting the lens. One has to grab it by aperture ring in the end position or by the lens front and rear at the same time by one hand. It's not easy but you'll get used to it.

I have the APD. I never used the normal one. The aperture ring is far too loose for my taste, but that is subjective. Some like it that way. Focus ring is nice and smooth. Focus is improved with latest firmware V4 on the X-T1, even if it's not using phase detect AF. Not a lens for fast action though, but I use it for street shooting from time to time and don't have any real issues. It renders in a very pleasing tone, remembers me of my old Canon 135 f2. But better and sharper and without and aberrations.