Brand new and having trouble focussing.

77BusGirl

I'm new to the world of Fujifilm and am sure I've got something set wrong. I spent most of the day trying to get pictures of my dog running towards me and I'd say maybe 5 percent were in focus. I tried different af modes, different shutter types, speeds, ISOs, aperture, AFC settings. Nothing seemed to make much difference. I've tried in forests and on a sunny bright deck. Almost always out of focus.  (Or soft focus) is there something I'm missing? Are there settings that work best for moving animals? 

I'm on an xt4 with the 16-80 kit. 

Sono nuovo anch'io, non solo di fuji ma di digitale, la possiedo da qualche giorno e la sto studiando con mille problemi. Credo tu debba (ma prendilo con beneficio di inventario) da quello che ho capito agire sul BKT. Oppure prova con la messa a fuoco manuale con l'aiuto alla messa a fuoco. Una volta che sai che in manuale funziona bene rileggi le istruzioni sulla messa a fuoco automatica (devi dare la priorità alla messa a fuoco rispetto allo scatto) se non hai impostato questo, ha la priorità lo scatto e a questo punto fuoco o no lei scatta. E' una possibilità del tuo sfuocato. 

Thanks for the reply. (I had to use Google translate to understand so hopefully they got it right!)

Manual focus isn't really an option with a moving subject. (Though I agree the manual with focus assist is fantastic for static objects) 

From what I've read having the subject moving towards you is the most difficult for the camera. Perhaps I'm just asking too much of it. But even my cell phone can capture her running at me. 

It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I'll take her to a field and try again. 

On 4/2/2021 at 5:52 AM, 77BusGirl said:

I'm new to the world of Fujifilm and am sure I've got something set wrong. I spent most of the day trying to get pictures of my dog running towards me and I'd say maybe 5 percent were in focus. I tried different af modes, different shutter types, speeds, ISOs, aperture, AFC settings. Nothing seemed to make much difference. I've tried in forests and on a sunny bright deck. Almost always out of focus.  (Or soft focus) is there something I'm missing? Are there settings that work best for moving animals? 

I'm on an xt4 with the 16-80 kit. 

16-80 is not the fastest focusing lens . still there is a few things you can do ! . first put the focus to "zone mode" (menu>af mf>af mode>zone). then go to af-c custom settings(menu>af mf>af-c custom settings) in that set tracking sensitivity to "quick" (it's 0 in my camera) , then set speed tracking sensitivity to " accel/deccel "(it's 2 in my camera). then go to menu> af mf> PRE-af ,switch it ON . then go to (menu> af mf > release/focus priority > there is two options for af-s and af-c set both to "focus". now finally switch the lens stabilization off (lens stabilization is beneficial for low shutter speeds , at higher shutter speeds it's not required and disabling it makes the shot faster) and shoot in "continuous high" mode. also choose a shutter speed equal or above 1000 for shooting moving subjects. and aperture at the widest possible in your case always at f4. you can easily capture fast things with the camera , way better than any phone just have to change settings according to the subject you are shooting and according to the light . but always the higher the shutter speed the better ! and 1000 is the minimum speed for moving subjects. i hope this helps. have a nice day !

Edited by K PRETHVIRAJ

13 minutes ago, 77BusGirl said:

From what I've read having the subject moving towards you is the most difficult for the camera. Perhaps I'm just asking too much of it. But even my cell phone can capture her running at me. 

This makes me wonder if it's not a focusing problem as much as shutter speed, since most smartphone cameras focus slowly compared to "real" cameras.

Hmm. Ok the one thing I didn't try was turning off IS. I'll try that. Thanks! To be honest I'm a little worried it's something with the lens or body. So many pics are coming out soft. I'll keep trying though and try all these things. Failing that I'll pop into the shop and see what they say. 

4 hours ago, 77BusGirl said:

Hmm. Ok the one thing I didn't try was turning off IS. I'll try that. Thanks! To be honest I'm a little worried it's something with the lens or body. So many pics are coming out soft. I'll keep trying though and try all these things. Failing that I'll pop into the shop and see what they say. 

if all this settings , tips etc.. fail . then definitely contact fujifilm service ! because then it might be a manufacturing defect ,which will be replaced by the seller . your camera and lens is capable of capturing way too faster moving subjects than dogs .so wish you good luck !

6 hours ago, 77BusGirl said:

Definitely try some pics in good light of a static subject on a tripod. If those don't come out tack-sharp, a visit to the shop is definitely in order, Good luck, I hope there's nothing wrong with your camera. I've had a different mirrorless system (Sony) for 6 years and there is still plenty of stuff I'm learning about this thing!