Back button focus

SSISailor

I am considering purchasing an X-T4.  I like to use back button focusing on my Nikon D800, where the AF-On button can be used for back button focusing, and it falls right under my thumb when my finger is on the shutter release.  For X-T4 users that do back button focusing what button do you typically use, and does it conveniently fall under your thumb?  

• 3 weeks later...

Of course handling and grip size of a camera is very personal, but my 2 cents is that when used to a D800, you'll find the X-T4 (and other X-Ts) less comfortable to handle. These are quite different cameras too. The D800 is a professional workhorse camera designed to be handled in extensive long photo shoots. The X-T4 is much more a consumer-grade camera with a keen eye for style. The great looks come a bit at the expense of handling.

I've worked with X-T and X-H cameras professionally for a while, but always had to use a grip extender to make them comfortable for long work. In fact the X-H1 came closest to a comfortable hand position. The main issue for the AF-ON button is that it is too far up and left positioned. When you have the camera at eye-level and your finger on the shutter release button, you have to stretch your thumb and regrip a bit to reach for the AF-ON button. A grip-extender here helps a bit because it provides more grip for your ring finger and pinky, which allows you to loosen the grip with your thumb and middle finger and shift them up a bit.

An alternative is to assign AF-ON to the push function of the rear dial. The downside is that you easily turn the dial when pushing it and may perhaps change another setting that way.

Edited by Herco

I use my left eye to look through the viewfinder. For me, that means the AF-On button is too far inward (very close to my nose.) Therefore, I remapped  the rear command dial to be my AF-On button. This has worked well for me. YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...