70-300 lens arrived a week early!

CatsAreGods

Some handheld indoor shots at 300mm...first one at 1/5 second ISO 800, shot of my kit lens at ISO 1600 and (wait for it) 1/2 second exposure! X-S10 IBIS FTW!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The other lens I was using before was my ancient Maxxum 70-210 f4...kind of hard to compare handling because it works only in manual mode on the X-S10. But this new one focuses like lightning compared to how the Maxxum lens worked on the Maxxum, or even on the newish Sony A58 I was using it on previously.

The 70-300 is pretty stiff when turning the zoom ring though. It has a zoom lock so I know they were worried about "lens creep" (not to be confused with what the local wildlife is probably calling me lol).

Sample photos to follow (real-world sample photos, not crazy stuff like above. I was just blown away by the IBIS).

First shot with XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR at 100 mm f4.6 1/500s came out pretty well if I may say so 🙂

And the second at 
300.0mm · ƒ/5.6 · 1/500s · ISO 160

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have some ideas for a tripod support for this? I’ll be using it for moon photography combined with the 2X teleconverter and don’t feel confident mounting that combo from the camera only. Thanks

1 hour ago, mokba said:

Anybody have some ideas for a tripod support for this? I’ll be using it for moon photography combined with the 2X teleconverter and don’t feel confident mounting that combo from the camera only. Thanks

It does not look like a standard tripod collar with quick release will fit this lens. You may be able to use something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG/Manfrotto_293_293_Telephoto_Lens_Support.html/?cnxclid=16173288597642086376410070301008005

But these are getting tricky to find. Once you know the size, you may be able to adapt what are called guide scope rings:

https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescope-accessories/mounts/telescope-mount-accessories/mounting-plates-tube-rings-accessories/telescope-mounting-rings

Once you get things worked out, show us some photos!

Edited by jerryy

12 hours ago, jerryy said:

It does not look like a standard tripod collar with quick release will fit this lens. You may be able to use something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG/Manfrotto_293_293_Telephoto_Lens_Support.html/?cnxclid=16173288597642086376410070301008005

But these are getting tricky to find. Once you know the size, you may be able to adapt what are called guide scope rings:

https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescope-accessories/mounts/telescope-mount-accessories/mounting-plates-tube-rings-accessories/telescope-mounting-rings

Once you get things worked out, show us some photos!

Thanks, I’ll dig into this and respond with my final solution. 

2 hours ago, mokba said:

Thanks, I’ll dig into this and respond with my final solution. 

I’m giving this item a shot as it will mount easily on an Arca Swiss head. I’ll report back on how it works out. 

That should work fine...I just think it's unnecessary. But hey, if you get into longer lenses you'll need it anyway!

Video shot with 500mm Tamron and 2x teleconverter:

Still shot with 70-300:

On 4/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, mokba said:

I’m giving this item a shot as it will mount easily on an Arca Swiss head. I’ll report back on how it works out. 

I picked this up and have been testing.  The assembly looks a bit frankensteinish but seems to serve the purpose.  I agree with CatAreGods comment on this maybe being unnecessary under some circumstances.  I am pretty happy with it from the standpoint that it lets me balance the entire camera/lens/teleconverter assembly much better over the tripod mount.  That will come in handy with windy or other challenging conditions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone had any problems with manual focus on the 70-300?

When I'm in AFs and trying to use manual focus, the focusing doens't really move.

Sam goes for when im Manual Focus, the focus ring doesn't really move. UNLESS  I pull the focus ring towards the body, then it'll adjust focus. Is this just how the lens is or do i have a faulty lens?

I hardly use manual focus, specially on a zoom lens, but for 800$ I want a perfect working lens!

and the bad part is the lens is on back order everywhere!!

5 hours ago, lckychrmsbboy said:

has anyone had any problems with manual focus on the 70-300?

When I'm in AFs and trying to use manual focus, the focusing doens't really move.

Sam goes for when im Manual Focus, the focus ring doesn't really move. UNLESS  I pull the focus ring towards the body, then it'll adjust focus. Is this just how the lens is or do i have a faulty lens?

I hardly use manual focus, specially on a zoom lens, but for 800$ I want a perfect working lens!

and the bad part is the lens is on back order everywhere!!

Have you read the user manual of the lens? iirc this lens has a locking mechanism.