Fujifilm 10-24mm f/4.0 Image Stabilization

PW104

Hi,

I am new to this forum and a recent 'convert' to the Fuji X system. I recently purchased a second-hand 10-24mm f/4.0 and while the lens is cosmetically okay and appears optically in good shape, I do have a concern about the OIS. I can see barely any difference between OIS "ON" and OIS "OFF" - both stills (at 1/2 sec) and video. I compared it with my 'kit' lens the 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 and the OIS on the newer 'kit' lens appears much more noticeable.

Is this a normal expectation of the 10-24mm? I am wondering whether to return the lens.

Any comments from the wise would be appreciated!

First of all, the shorter the focal length, the less noticable the impact of OIS. It’s easier to steady a shorter focal length by hand. In order to compare, you need to set both lenses at approx. the same focal length (e.g. 23mm) select an object at 2-3m distance (max.) and make shots with longer shutter speeds. Then you should see similar OIS impact. If not, you could have the 10-24 checked. If you’re a videographer, you could do similar and walk around. OIS should create a steadier motion with less shake. Note that some waivy background in video is ‘normal’ with some Fuji OIS lenses. In fact the new 10-24 MkII is worse in this than the older version.

Thanks Herco for your kind advice.

I have now compared the two lenses (10-24 mm vs 18-55 mm) at 24mm (because this is the narrowest field of view on the 10-24). This confirmed that there was nothing happening at all on the 10-24mm lens. It is strange because the camera body registers the OIS and there is the usual 'whirring' sound if one places the lens to the ear whilst the OIS is operational. Also, when the lens is not active (camera switched off or lens separated from the body), there is a slight rattle if one shakes the lens from side-to-side - this rattle disappears when the lens becomes active.

Your advice really helped - so now it's off to the local Fujifilm Service Centre (Australia) to sample their legendary customer service. I will post an update with the results.

It is strange because the camera body registers the OIS and there is the usual 'whirring' sound if one places the lens to the ear whilst the OIS is operational. Also, when the lens is not active (camera switched off or lens separated from the body), there is a slight rattle if one shakes the lens from side-to-side - this rattle disappears when the lens becomes active.

The whirring is normal, it is the OIS working. You also hear it when the OIS switch is in the "OFF" position, it keeps the OIS group parked in a centered position. Maybe that is where your lens malfunctions, keeping it in the parked position.

Thanks mrPeter. I'm guessing that the lens does seem to be able to park the OIS group because the 'rattle' disappears when the lens is powered up.

Interesting there appears to be no information online about how these mechanisms can malfunction. Not that I would want to attempt a repair myself, but it is interesting to know what has gone wrong. Not sure whether Fujifilm Service will explain that though.... Anyway we'll see...

You're welcome PW104. I searched the internet looking for a document that would explain why the whirring does not stop when you switch the OIS "OFF". When I could not find such document I wrote an e-mail to Fuji service in Germany and they answered:

>>unfortunately there is no special articel about this behavior.

The OIS group is a free moving group. So when the camera gives power to the lens
this group gets first centered in position and is then stabilizing the image.
When you switch off the OIS function the motors of the OIS group fix the group in center
position. While keeping it in this position the motors are active and procude a
"working sound". 

When you have any further question, please feel free to contact us.<<

It shows they are very helpful when you have questions about your Fuji equipment.

Henk

Thanks again mrPeter

As you mentioned in your earlier post - it seems that (apart from lack of image stabilization) the symptom of the fault is that the OIS lens group is remaining in the 'parked' position and therefore I guess the cause may be a lack of signal from the lateral vibration detectors to the OIS motors (when the OIS switch is in the 'ON' position. If this is the logical next cause then I think that is where my reasoning may have come to a stop and I'll have to wait for the Fuji service technician to take it further.