Sharpness of Fuji lenses vs. Canon lenses

Thomas Wyser

Before I changed to Fuji, I used a Canon camera (EOS 5D Mark III), mostly with a L lens. Now I am using different Fujix cameras with different, mostly high quality lenses. I do no regret the change to Fuji at all. But...when I compare pictures taken with Fuji camera and Fuji lenses to photos taken with Canon lenses, I always thinks that the photos taken with Canon are much crisper and sharper. Even now, when I am using sometimes my Canon M6 Mk II with the 15 - 45 lens, these photos look much sharper than with a high quality Fuji lens.

Why is that? Does somebody else made this experience?

I use Lightroom for my FUJI files, but first use Iridient X-Transformer to convert the RAW files to .dng. I then import those to Lightroom and they seem better, and more easily sharpened. Iridient doesn't cost much, and although it adds an extra step to the downloads, I feel it is well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

With Fuji raw files the raw converter matters but no so much for sharpness and contrast. Mostly for artefacts and noise reduction. Lightroom or Capture One shouldn’t be really different when it comes to sharpness. In all honesty you’re comparing a pro-grade full-frame camera like the 5DMkIII (had one for many years) with a consumer grade aps-c camera which most Fuji cameras are. On top of that you mention L-glass which is Canon’s most discerning line of lenses. Without exactly knowing which hardware you’re comparing, my guess is that your expectations are a bit too high. I use Fuji for personal work and have used it for a few years professionally as well (X-H1 a/o with red badge zooms and fast primes). I’m very happy with the results but they’re not in the same league as my current full frame Nikon Z’s. Let alone the Hasselblad H6D... 

10 minutes ago, Herco said:

With Fuji raw files the raw converter matters but no so much for sharpness and contrast. Mostly for artefacts and noise reduction. Lightroom or Capture One shouldn’t be really different when it comes to sharpness. In all honesty you’re comparing a pro-grade full-frame camera like the 5DMkIII (had one for many years) with a consumer grade aps-c camera which most Fuji cameras are. On top of that you mention L-glass which is Canon’s most discerning line of lenses. Without exactly knowing which hardware you’re comparing, my guess is that your expectations are a bit too high. I use Fuji for personal work and have used it for a few years professionally as well (X-H1 a/o with red badge zooms and fast primes). I’m very happy with the results but they’re not in the same league as my current full frame Nikon Z’s. Let alone the Hasselblad H6D... 

you're absolutely correct ! . for artifacts and worms etc.. there is a difference between lightroom and capture one . but sharpness is indeed based on hardware , even the comparison wasn't fair ,it was between aps-c and full frame sensor , that alone make a difference . also fujifilm aims for filmic looks which is softer and canon 5d is tuned for professional work ,so it will be tuned for sharpness , same with lenses . anyway you can just increase the "structure" slider in capture one , to make the pictures from fuji a bit sharp and crisp . but as herco said the two cameras are designed differently for different purpose  and idea .besides fujifilm gfx system is the one designed for all sorts of  professional works. i hope this helps. have a nice day .