XH1 vs XT3

John Kemp

I have the XH1 and Xpro2. I love both. I am considering a second body to go with the XH1 and wondered about the XT3. Is it an upgrade in terms of image quality? If you have both what wold you say are the improvements with the XT3? I may decide that the differences in ergonomics are too difficult for me to use both alternately. What have you found?

I was considering the XT4 but the flippy screen has put me off.

Best, John

• 3 weeks later...

I have both the X-Pro2 and the X-H1 and I've worked with the X-T3, the X-T4 and the X-Pro3 for a while. The X-Pro2 is one of my favorite cameras of all times for personal work. For professional work I decided not to pursuit to the X-T3/4 and also stopped using the X-H1 by the way.

Apart from the obvious differences in form factor between the X-Pro and the X-T models that affect the handling of the camera, there's of course the difference in launch date that impacts some specs (like the higher resolution of the viewfinder).

The X-H1 is a very different camera in handling compared to the X-T3. The latter might look nicer with a more retro-styled form and handling, the X-H1 is more of a 'work horse' pro-camera with a decent deep grip and a more robust body. Also compared with the X-Pro2 the build quality of the X-T3 and X-T4 feels/shows less robust. Overall these newer models have somewhat higher repair rates (corrected for age and according my local Swiss camera repair shop) than the older models. Seems that Fuji is cutting some cost here and there. The more intense you use the camera, the more important that becomes.

Your basic question is whether there's a difference in IQ between the 24MP X-Trans III sensor/processor and the 26MP X-Trans IV sensor/processor. Theoretically there is. Apart from the extra 2MP, the 26MP sensor is Back Side Illuminated, which should result in somewhat lower noise levels at higher ISO. However, that advantage is offset by the smaller pixel pitch due to the extra 2MP on the same surface.

In practice therefore, there's essentially no visible difference. We've made some large 40x60 prints incl. low-light images, and one is not better than the other. There is however a difference in AF speed and video bitrates. Because the 26MP sensor is BSI, it has shorter circuitry and can handle video bitrates up to (I believe) 400 Mbps (200 Mbps for the 24MP sensor/processor). The 26MP also has more AF pixels on its sensor and combined with the faster processor, updated algorithms and BSI technology, that results in somewhat faster AF (esp. in AF-C modes). For some users that might be the benefit they were looking for. 

Another topic to consider is that Fuji more or less stopped supporting the 24MP platform with firmware updates. They only issue new firmware to accommodate new lenses or accessories like new flashes (the EF-X500) and bugs that come out of that. No camera bug fixing or new features anymore. Esp. the X-H1 still suffers from a few unrepaired bugs since the start and some erratic eye-AF behavior. That's one of the reasons I stopped using it professionally (next to the AF behavior and build quality of the lenses. The 26MP platform is still being supported though and every now and then some improvements (esp. to AF and IBIS for X-T4/S10) are being released. In that sense, the X-T3 is still a bit more future-proof until the next gen of sensor/processors arrive.