XH1 v XT3

John Kemp

I have the XH1 and Xpro2. I love both. I am considering a second body to go with the XH1 and wondered about the XT3. Is it an upgrade in terms of image quality? If you have both what wold you say are the improvements with the XT3? I may decide that the differences in ergonomics are too difficult for me to use both alternately. What have you found?

I was considering the XT4 but the flippy screen has put me off.

Best, John

On 2/19/2021 at 4:26 PM, John Kemp said:

I have the XH1 and Xpro2. I love both. I am considering a second body to go with the XH1 and wondered about the XT3. Is it an upgrade in terms of image quality? If you have both what wold you say are the improvements with the XT3? I may decide that the differences in ergonomics are too difficult for me to use both alternately. What have you found?

I was considering the XT4 but the flippy screen has put me off.

Best, John

Hi, Although there's a different sensor/processor in the X-T3 compared to the X-H1 (26MP vs. 24MP) the difference in image quality is virtually invisible. Theoretically the low light performance (noise level) of the 26MP sensor should be better due to 8% less amplification but that is hardly noticeable in practice. The lower amplification is offset by the smaller pixel size (26mio vs. 24mio on the same surface). Generally, the lower the pixel count, the better the low light performance.

I've had both cameras, used them professionally, but I kept preferring the X-H1 due to it's better grip and IBIS. Even printed at poster size, there was no real visible advantage for the 26MP sensor. Just some perception in edge cases in really low light. The real difference between the two sensors is in AF speed and video bit rates. Due to its shorter circuits (BSI-principle) and faster processor the X-T3 has snappier AF and can handle higher video bit rates.