Jump to content

WiFi Connection Issues, X-T30 - Completely Stuck!


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you have firewalls turned on in your pc networks?

Entering the router’s name and password manually will get the first half going as you have seen, but the computers also have constraints to keep theirselves “safe”.

One way to investigate is to turn off the connection to the internet, then lower all of the firewalls, etc. until you are able to connect, then turn the protections back on until you find the problem section, fix it, then turn all of the protections back on and finally reconnect to the internet.

p.s. ‘Connect via wps button’ is one of those things that is a good idea, but in practice is dicey.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jerryy said:

Do you have firewalls turned on in your pc networks?

Entering the router’s name and password manually will get the first half going as you have seen, but the computers also have constraints to keep theirselves “safe”.

One way to investigate is to turn off the connection to the internet, then lower all of the firewalls, etc. until you are able to connect, then turn the protections back on until you find the problem section, fix it, then turn all of the protections back on and finally reconnect to the internet.

p.s. ‘Connect via wps button’ is one of those things that is a good idea, but in practice is dicey.

Hiya

I've tried with firewall disabled but it makes no difference. When I connect to the router now it all seems to go smoothly and I can see the camera's MAC address in the router. I connect to the router in 'manual' mode just by selecting my network so not entered the router password. Maybe I'll try again with the alternate manual method and by entering the ssid and the password - you never know, might make all the difference! I hate software that doesn't tell you what it's doing! But with a camera, dialogue has to be limited, I suppose. I wish, though, that the 'instructions' suggested more than 'make sure your PC is on' and 'make sure the PC Autosave app is running'!

Thanks

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Give entering the password a try. If your router has any kind of protection turned on WPA2, etc. then trying to connect will seem to work, but ultimately go nowhere. The password part is what stops random passerby folks from joining your networks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jerryy said:

Give entering the password a try. If your router has any kind of protection turned on WPA2, etc. then trying to connect will seem to work, but ultimately go nowhere. The password part is what stops random passerby folks from joining your networks.

Yes I realise that! As I said before, it was connecting to the router ok now. Funnily enough, I was just in the router where it has a command to do a reset. So I tried that and attempted to connect to PC again and it worked! Yay! I've no idea what happened there. I normally do a router reset by simply disconnecting it from the power supply. But maybe this internal reset does something different? Now I've got the two to properly pair via wifi, I don't actually know what to do next! It looks like I have to configure the camera to specify a button for the wifi? I'm a bit tired now (zzz.... ) so will have another look tomorrow.

Thanks

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again,

I believe that you are correct, now that the hardware is chatting with each other,  next up is getting the software talking as well:

http://app.fujifilm-dsc.com/en/pc_autosave/appendix.html#a02

What you said earlier made me think of that old saying about treasure maps, ‘it would be nice if they would just say go here, collect the treasure, spend wisely and live happily ever after, but where is the fun in that’?

according to the instructions, you are at the stage where you register the software on your computer to the software on the camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jerryy said:

Hello again,

I believe that you are correct, now that the hardware is chatting with each other,  next up is getting the software talking as well:

http://app.fujifilm-dsc.com/en/pc_autosave/appendix.html#a02

What you said earlier made me think of that old saying about treasure maps, ‘it would be nice if they would just say go here, collect the treasure, spend wisely and live happily ever after, but where is the fun in that’?

according to the instructions, you are at the stage where you register the software on your computer to the software on the camera.

Well I'm at the stage of actually using it now! I've sorted out a function button for the wifi - will try it out tomorrow :)

Thanks

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Louise, "little old lady" you say ? With MAC filtering on her network ? You're dangerous. I use it on my Ubiquity APs and Mikrotik Routers, but it did not occur to me to consider that. Jerry may be right, a firewall setting on your PC could be blocking the connection of the PC_Autosave. Could be in a security/antivirus sw that you have or in the Windows OS. Maybe a message popped up to ask for permission that you missed. I suspect you know this without me telling you and you will know how to add a rule. I agree with Jerry on the WPS thing, I never use it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LouiseScot said:

Looks a bit like the Barony Hall at Glasgow Uni - if not, I don't know!

Yes that is right, Glasgow Uni, but not the Barony Hall, it is in the Gilbert Scott Building I think. Good luck with the file transfers ! Let us know how you fared, please.

Edited by George_P
correction
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, George_P said:

Louise, "little old lady" you say ? With MAC filtering on her network ? You're dangerous. I use it on my Ubiquity APs and Mikrotik Routers, but it did not occur to me to consider that. Jerry may be right, a firewall setting on your PC could be blocking the connection of the PC_Autosave. Could be in a security/antivirus sw that you have or in the Windows OS. Maybe a message popped up to ask for permission that you missed. I suspect you know this without me telling you and you will know how to add a rule. I agree with Jerry on the WPS thing, I never use it. 

I really am! Though I admit to being a bit 'nerdy' - I have a computer science degree from way back in the 90's :) Plus a bioscience degree from 2009 and a postgraduate research masters in neuroscience from 2013 :) I've been retired now for the last 8 years...

Anyway, the PC Autosave connections are all good now - fingers crossed!

You and Jerry have been a great help - thanks!

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, George_P said:

Yes that is right, Glasgow Uni, but not the Barony Hall, it is in the Gilbert Scott Building I think. Good luck with the file transfers ! Let us know how you fared, please.

Ah right! I did my postgrad research at Glasgow Uni. It's just up the road from me - well, about 20 mins walk. I still do some short courses there but it's obviously been difficult this last year :( .

I'll be back on the wifi case tomorrow afternoon. If all goes well I might even be up and running with it soon!

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

You solved it all by yourself, the two of us were no help really. Great ! I am glad it works. My son is studying what I would call "genetics" to keep it simple at Edinburgh. I did radioelectronics/telecommunications, I graduated 1986, but I switched to computers early on. That means you can't be old !  All the best, cheers. 

George

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, George_P said:

You solved it all by yourself, the two of us were no help really. Great ! I am glad it works. My son is studying what I would call "genetics" to keep it simple at Edinburgh. I did radioelectronics/telecommunications, I graduated 1986, but I switched to computers early on. That means you can't be old !  All the best, cheers. 

George

 

It's often having the discussion that helps! My research at Glasgow Uni involved genetics in that I was looking at an inherited disease called Rett Syndrome but using mice, microscopes and electrophysiology. My supervisor moved to Edinburgh Uni a few years ago and we had strong ties with them anyway. I first went to Uni when I was 38 (I think). I still enjoy studying and learning new things.

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, George_P said:

I hope you will get some nice Fuji lens eventually. You can see in my footer what I have, I put it there so that others know what items I might be able to give some advice about. I had Canon before but I really love Fuji.

George

The lenses are sooo expensive!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the PC Autosave / wifi seems to work ok now :). It is a little slow but ok for jpegs. The only thing is that it switches the camera off after transferring the picture files. A bit annoying, but I suppose that's how it disconnects the wifi. 

Here's a couple of pics I took earlier and through my kitchen window (and it's a dull, cloudy day, unfortunately). The first is the university spire (apologies for window frame shadow on the left!). I used to have a good view of the uni building until someone built a private accommodation block in the way :( The other is the uni library building on the horizon - the building in the mid-foreground is a school.  Taken manually (at about 200mm) with my cheap Canon 75-300mm zoom :)

Louise

 

UniSpire.jpg

UniLib.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LouiseScot said:

Well, the PC Autosave / wifi seems to work ok now :). It is a little slow but ok for jpegs. The only thing is that it switches the camera off after transferring the picture files. A bit annoying, but I suppose that's how it disconnects the wifi. 

...

I am glad to hear things are working. Yup, even fast wifi is still slow for moving the large images, the newest latest, greatest version of wifi will eventually make its way into reasonably priced gear so that we can use it.  I would dread trying to move the big GFX files from the camera to the computer using b/g/n even ac/ad wifi versions. Did you try using the cable?

p.s. Please post more images!

Link to post
Share on other sites

p.p.s. Used Fujifilm lenses, Canon and Nikon and Tamron and Sigma and Konica-Minolta and etc. etc. with adapters. Samyang / Rokinon, etc. and other come in x-mounts.

If you look, there are plenty of good - great lenses for all kinds of budgets, even mine! 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jerryy said:

I am glad to hear things are working. Yup, even fast wifi is still slow for moving the large images, the newest latest, greatest version of wifi will eventually make its way into reasonably priced gear so that we can use it.  I would dread trying to move the big GFX files from the camera to the computer using b/g/n even ac/ad wifi versions. Did you try using the cable?

p.s. Please post more images!

Hi Jerry

It may only be running at 802.11/b -> 11Mbps. I imagine the problem with trying to implement high speed WiFi might be the power drain on the battery? Or, being cynical, the manufacturer wanting cheaper models to be less capable... I didn't try using usb. Well, I did, but it looks like I have to use MyFinePix Studio to transfer jpegs? But I haven't really looked into it yet. I was hoping I'd be able to transfer files completely automatically via the wifi (I mean, it's called PC Autosave...) but it doesn't quite work like that! Still, I can live with the wifi.

Cheers

Louise

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LouiseScot said:

Hi Jerry

It may only be running at 802.11/b -> 11Mbps. I imagine the problem with trying to implement high speed WiFi might be the power drain on the battery? Or, being cynical, the manufacturer wanting cheaper models to be less capable... I didn't try using usb. Well, I did, but it looks like I have to use MyFinePix Studio to transfer jpegs? But I haven't really looked into it yet. I was hoping I'd be able to transfer files completely automatically via the wifi (I mean, it's called PC Autosave...) but it doesn't quite work like that! Still, I can live with the wifi.

Cheers

Louise

Actually, heat is the culprit. Moving data at high speed comes at a price, the camera would go into thermal shutdown after moving one or two images.

For me, time is more the issue, it takes a lot of time to move a bunch of raw files, so I put the sd card in a reader and copy them over. I would not mind using the tethered approach to check some test images, but probably would still use the card reader after a session.

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jerryy said:

Actually, heat is the culprit. Moving data at high speed comes at a price, the camera would go into thermal shutdown after moving one or two images.

For me, time is more the issue, it takes a lot of time to move a bunch of raw files, so I put the sd card in a reader and copy them over. I would not mind using the tethered approach to check some test images, but probably would still use the card reader after a session.

Well, the carrier is already running at 2.4GHz - I don't think there would be a great increase in power/heating for it to transfer files at slightly higher rate though it might require changing to the 54Mbps standard which I suppose probably would increase the power/heating. I'm no expert on wifi though! I've forgotten more than I used to know! If usb was a possibility it would be quicker but I'm not too bothered - yet.

Louise

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...