WiFi Connection Issues, X-T30 - Completely Stuck!

LouiseScot

If the camera had a fan, it probably would not be a problem to use the 5ghz speeds, but alas and alackaday the small bodies are not built for that. Heat building up on the inside must move across the air gaps to get to the exterior body to then dissipate. Newton’s Law of Heating and Cooling tells us that it will take some time to do that, which means the camera could cook itself to death, so thermal shutdown is used to save it.

6 minutes ago, jerryy said:

If the camera had a fan, it probably would not be a problem to use the 5ghz speeds, but alas and alackaday the small bodies are not built for that. Heat building up on the inside must move across the air gaps to get to the exterior body to then dissipate. Newton’s Law of Heating and Cooling tells us that it will take some time to do that, which means the camera could cook itself to death, so thermal shutdown is used to save it.

Yeah but there are high data speed options within the 2.4GHz band. I wonder if all the current Fuji cameras have slow transfer rates? I'll have to compare the Camera Remote app with the PC Autosave. There is the possibility of third party wifi such as CamFi ( Home - Wireless Camera Controller (cam-fi.com)

I'll probably just make do with what I have - I won't need to do very transfers in real time :)

Louise

14 minutes ago, LouiseScot said:

Yeah but there are high data speed options within the 2.4GHz band. I wonder if all the current Fuji cameras have slow transfer rates? I'll have to compare the Camera Remote app with the PC Autosave. There is the possibility of third party wifi such as CamFi ( Home - Wireless Camera Controller (cam-fi.com)

I'll probably just make do with what I have - I won't need to do very transfers in real time :)

Louise

That one is more complicated, lots of devices share the 2.4 ghz spectrum, microwave ovens, wireless phones, cell phones, laptops, your neighbor’s devices, etc. Your router chats with the camera and decides the speed to use to balance how much data can be transferred in the available spectrum. You may be able to dedicate a little used channel to the transfer to get higher speeds, but you will have to much around with the router’s software. 

11 minutes ago, jerryy said:

That one is more complicated, lots of devices share the 2.4 ghz spectrum, microwave ovens, wireless phones, cell phones, laptops, your neighbor’s devices, etc. Your router chats with the camera and decides the speed to use to balance how much data can be transferred in the available spectrum. You may be able to dedicate a little used channel to the transfer to get higher speeds, but you will have to much around with the router’s software. 

Other devices shouldn't be a problem. I have a wifi laptop/router, phone, and camera but they are not all trying to talk to each other at the same time. The router chooses 1 of 13 channels to communicate with a wifi device. My laptop internet connection is pretty fast over the 2.4GHz band.

Louise

Edited by LouiseScot

I did a quick test with the Camera Remote app. It takes about 9s (my guestimate time) to transfer a full-size jpg (6240x4160, 10.24MB) from the camera to the phone so probably the same as the PC Autosave. That agrees with an online calculator ( File Transfer Time Calculator - Techinternets ) if you put in 10.24MB and 11Mbps - it returns 'at least 8s'. So the camera wifi does appear to be running the 802.11b spec. I think I can live with that, but I'll look further into any usb possibilities :)Tomorrow I'll try the camera out on my rail microscope again. I've set it to use the electronic shutter - ES as I was getting blurred images without the ES when I tried it last week :(. Hope the blurring problem is sorted now.

Louise

1 hour ago, George_P said:

Hi Louise, Jerry, mdm,

I am late to the party but:

You have to divide the transfer speed of your Wi-Fi standard by the number on your ocular.

🍷

It all works fine with an APS-C sized sensor - best used afocally i.e. with a camera lens :)

Louise

3 hours ago, George_P said:

Says the guy who added added REL T-Zero to his Rega to listen to Audiolab M-DAC+ ....🤨

Thanks Fuji for this opportunity. They don't want me buying their stuff. New toy camera (X-E4) is a cherry on the cake of nonsense.

3 hours ago, mdm said:

Thanks Fuji for this opportunity. They don't want me buying their stuff. New toy camera (X-E4) is a cherry on the cake of nonsense.

Hey, cheer up my friend. I was just joking, I did not want to bring you down. Don’t worry, some other new camera will come that you will like. Maybe sooner than you think, time flies by too fast anyway. I am still happy with my X-T2. But I know you don’t like the DSLR style and you’re waiting for something to replace your X-E2S, am I right ?

Hi George! Don't worry I'm fine :) I'd say yes, I prefer rangefinder-style though I'm not completely against SLR-style either as I'm old Minolta user and have two SLRs: X-500 and XDs. I think I'd bought X-T4 already if it has X-T3 screen or X-Pro3 even with fixed LCD.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I see Fuji have released their new 1.40 firmware upgrade for the x-t30. It's supposed to support X-Webcam now. I'm not sure if that equates to usb tethering but I'll download it tomorrow and give it a try.

Louise

Edited by LouiseScot