WiFi Connection Issues, X-T30 - Completely Stuck!

LouiseScot

Hi Louise living in Scotland here. I'm a little old lady having (wi-fi) issues with my recently purchased X-T30 - hoping someone on here can help me with them!

I'm reposting this as a separate topic - seems sensible and hope that's ok! I setup the camera remote app on my Samsung A40 and that appeared to work fine via wifi initially. A few weeks later I installed the PC Autosave app but had trouble getting it to talk to my router. I did manage to get a connection once but (stupid me!) my PC wasn't on so it couldn't make the connection. Ever since then I've been unable to get a wifi connection to/from the camera. My PC sees the camera as a device for a short while but no connection is made. I then found my Camera Remote app wasn't working either and have been tearing my hair out trying to get anything working via WiFi. My phone and laptop both still work fine via my router. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Camera Remote app but to no avail. It doesn't seem to want to be setup from scratch as it was initially but I can't see what else to do on the phone to do a proper fresh installation? Any ideas on that? I've tried the 'Reset Wireless Setting' on the camera but it doesn't seem to do anything useful. Obviously I've power cycled the camera, the phone and the router but to no avail. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious but don't know what it is! I'd have thought if there was a problem with the router settings then my laptop and phone would have problems but they are fine. I tried resetting network settings on the phone but that didn't help. As yet, I've not tried connecting via Bluetooth since I don't want to use it. My router is in my living room so no problems with signal strength or anything like that. The X-T30 flashes it's wifi icon but won't do anything else with it! I have all the location settings and permissions set on the phone. Something seems to have gone amiss when I unsuccessfully tried installing the PC Autosave app... Any help gratefully received! Wondering what taking the battery out would do?
Thanks
Louise

3 hours ago, LouiseScot said:

Hi Louise living in Scotland here. I'm a little old lady having (wi-fi) issues with my recently purchased X-T30 - hoping someone on here can help me with them!

I'm reposting this as a separate topic - seems sensible and hope that's ok! I setup the camera remote app on my Samsung A40 and that appeared to work fine via wifi initially. A few weeks later I installed the PC Autosave app but had trouble getting it to talk to my router. I did manage to get a connection once but (stupid me!) my PC wasn't on so it couldn't make the connection. Ever since then I've been unable to get a wifi connection to/from the camera. My PC sees the camera as a device for a short while but no connection is made. I then found my Camera Remote app wasn't working either and have been tearing my hair out trying to get anything working via WiFi. My phone and laptop both still work fine via my router. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Camera Remote app but to no avail. It doesn't seem to want to be setup from scratch as it was initially but I can't see what else to do on the phone to do a proper fresh installation? Any ideas on that? I've tried the 'Reset Wireless Setting' on the camera but it doesn't seem to do anything useful. Obviously I've power cycled the camera, the phone and the router but to no avail. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious but don't know what it is! I'd have thought if there was a problem with the router settings then my laptop and phone would have problems but they are fine. I tried resetting network settings on the phone but that didn't help. As yet, I've not tried connecting via Bluetooth since I don't want to use it. My router is in my living room so no problems with signal strength or anything like that. The X-T30 flashes it's wifi icon but won't do anything else with it! I have all the location settings and permissions set on the phone. Something seems to have gone amiss when I unsuccessfully tried installing the PC Autosave app... Any help gratefully received! Wondering what taking the battery out would do?
Thanks
Louise

Some good news! I managed to get the Camera Remote app working again! I hadn't noticed before but under the Camera Remote phone options there is a 'Reset APP Settings' - did the trick!

The bad news is that I'm still stuck with trying to get the PC Autosave working. More often than not it seems to mess up the router. I've tried manually connecting the camera to WiFi but it just sits there :( I've reinstalled the PC app several times- There doesn't seem to be a reset settings for it (other than reset wireless settings on the camera)? What effect would taking the battery out have? Other than that, any idea what the most likely thing is that would prevent the camera connecting?

Thanks

Louise

Dear Louise,

Welcome to the forum ! I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I don´t have that camera, I haven´t used the recent versions of the app and I haven´t used the PC Autosave programme, so I am not in a good position really to give you any advice. But before somebody else can be more specific and before you get feeling lonely and abandoned here, I would like to at least point you to the following links in case you missed them, maybe they will help.

Maybe you would be better off using Bluetooth for the app as opposed to WiFi. See here (choose IOS or Android via the two buttons at the top of the page and pls note that point Nr. 4 is about the camera menu, the others are about the app).

Connecting to the Camera (Bluetooth) (fujifilm-dsc.com)

Via WiFi: (the same re. Nr. 4)

Connecting to the Camera (Models That Do Not Support Bluetooth) (fujifilm-dsc.com)

X-T30 Manual Web Version - Wireless Connections

Wireless Connections (Bluetooth<sup>®</sup>, Wireless LAN/Wi-Fi) (fujifilm-dsc.com)

PC Autosave explanation:

3. Saving Photos and Movies to the Computer | Application Software PC AutoSave | FUJIFILM Corporation (fujifilm-dsc.com)

Generally advisable: update firmware on the camera and use the newest version of the app, which you probably do, just saying. In case you decide that you need to upgrade the camera, do it exactly according to the instructions. If you can´t find them, let me know.

For transferring pictures from the camera to the computer, I would say the best thing to do is to use a card reader, that is the fastest and most reliable way of doing it. 

Maybe you missed something and the above instructions will help. If not, let us know and surely we will be able to help you further. Nice greetings to Scotland, stay safe !

George

To cheer you up:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

7 minutes ago, George_P said:

Dear Louise,

Welcome to the forum ! I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I don´t have that camera, I haven´t used the recent versions of the app and I haven´t used the PC Autosave programme, so I am not in a good position really to give you any advice. But before somebody else can be more specific and before you get feeling lonely and abandoned here, I would like to at least point you to the following links in case you missed them, maybe they will help.

Maybe you would be better off using Bluetooth for the app as opposed to WiFi. See here (choose IOS or Android via the two buttons at the top of the page and pls note that point Nr. 4 is about the camera menu, the others are about the app).

Connecting to the Camera (Bluetooth) (fujifilm-dsc.com)

Via WiFi: (the same re. Nr. 4)

Connecting to the Camera (Models That Do Not Support Bluetooth) (fujifilm-dsc.com)

X-T30 Manual Web Version - Wireless Connections

Wireless Connections (Bluetooth<sup>®</sup>, Wireless LAN/Wi-Fi) (fujifilm-dsc.com)

PC Autosave explanation:

3. Saving Photos and Movies to the Computer | Application Software PC AutoSave | FUJIFILM Corporation (fujifilm-dsc.com)

Generally advisable: update firmware on the camera and use the newest version of the app, which you probably do, just saying. In case you decide that you need to upgrade the camera, do it exactly according to the instructions. If you can´t find them, let me know.

For transferring pictures from the camera to the computer, I would say the best thing to do is to use a card reader, that is the fastest and most reliable way of doing it. 

Maybe you missed something and the above instructions will help. If not, let us know and surely we will be able to help you further. Nice greetings to Scotland, stay safe !

George

Hi George

Thanks for your reply. The Camera Remote app works fine so the phone can talk to the camera via wifi. I just can't get the camera to talk to the router for the PC Autosave app. If I attempt a manual setup the camera can see the list of available networks - including mine, obviously. Apart from the one time when it did connect to the router but not to the PC it won't connect again. I suspect that event may have caused something to go wrong. It's behaving as though there was a wifi settings problem but I can't see what that could be. My router is set to WPA Auto so that should be ok. The password shouldn't come into it if using WPS but it still doesn't work if I enter everything manually or try using a pin. I wonder if something has got stored wrongly on the camera? Camera Remote has a Reset APP settings option but there is nothing for PC Autosave other than 'reset wireless settings' on the camera which doesn't help. I wonder if taking the battery out would do the trick - I've saved settings via PC Acquire. Any idea how long I'd have to leave the battery out for?

Thanks

Louise

The whole world is one small village. When did he leave CZ ?

Anyway, I am reading this: 4. Appendices | Application Software PC AutoSave | FUJIFILM Corporation (fujifilm-dsc.com)

and this: 4. Appendices | Application Software PC AutoSave | FUJIFILM Corporation (fujifilm-dsc.com)

Have a look if it helps.

To discharge the internal backup battery, you would have to leave the accu out of the camera for a long time, there has to be a better way.

George said ...”For transferring pictures from the camera to the computer, I would say the best thing to do is to use a card reader, that is the fastest and most reliable way of doing it.”

PC Auto Save worked okay when folks connected their camera to their computer using a cable, but things got weird when the technology moved over to wifi and bluetooth.

What George is saying is good advice as far as getting your photos onto your computer  in the fastest, least aggravating way possible, while saving the wifi for later this week.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 minutes ago, George_P said:

The whole world is one small village. When did he leave CZ ?

Anyway, I am reading this: 4. Appendices | Application Software PC AutoSave | FUJIFILM Corporation (fujifilm-dsc.com)

and this: 4. Appendices | Application Software PC AutoSave | FUJIFILM Corporation (fujifilm-dsc.com)

Have a look if it helps.

To discharge the internal backup battery, you would have to leave the accu out of the camera for a long time, there has to be a better way.

He left just post war with his English wife (my mum!). They had planned to stay there but that didn't happen! 

I've seen all the Fuji documentation - doesn't help! What about reset to factory settings? I'm not sure if that affects wifi as there is a separate reset for that - but it doesn't help either! 

Louise

Um, I don't have any pictures to get out yet! Ideally, I'd like to have the camera tethered via usb as I do with my Canons. But I only found out after I'd bought the X-T30 that it didn't support tethering - grrr! The camera is destined to be used on a microscope and I'd like to be able to automatically retrieve images. Besides that, it's supposed to work via wifi, isn't it?! Maybe I expect too much....

Louise

You should be able to connect the computer to the camera using the USB cable and pull the images onto the computer:

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t30/connections/computer/index.html

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t30/menu_setup/connection_setting/index.html

the connection mode in the menu settings must be set to USB CARD READER for this to work. That also allows your computer’s os to make copies if you want.

When you have some, let us start an official Scotland thread !

With my X-T2 and X-T10, transferring to IOS devices worked well, but I have no experience with PC Autosave. If I had the same camera as you, I would try it out but with different cameras there is no point I think. Do you get an error message, what does it say ?

Edited by George_P

5 minutes ago, LouiseScot said:

Um, I don't have any pictures to get out yet! Ideally, I'd like to have the camera tethered via usb as I do with my Canons. But I only found out after I'd bought the X-T30 that it didn't support tethering - grrr! The camera is destined to be used on a microscope and I'd like to be able to automatically retrieve images. Besides that, it's supposed to work via wifi, isn't it?! Maybe I expect too much....

Louise

The (announced) upcoming firmware version 1.40 will let you use the X-T30 as a web cam, so that may also allow at some point, single frame tethering.

20 minutes ago, jerryy said:

George!!!

I will be able to take a look later this week, it is one of those recreational impossibilities I attempt now and then.

p.s. Welcome Louise!

Jerry, do I remember correctly that you have an X-T30 ? Recreation is an impossibility indeed from now on, you have a job on hand.

Click here for starters: 🔊🔊🔊

Edited by George_P

There is a reset setup which might work - I'll try it tomorrow. I don't get any error messages other than can't connect after a while.

(Yeah - my mum and dad had to flee with naught but a couple of suitcases :(.)

Yeah, I saw that about the firmware upgrade but no help in itself. I don't know why anyone would want to use/waste an x-t30 on using it as a webcam!

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll have a look at usb transfer. I think the only option there is to use the MyFinePix Studio app - I'm not sure if it will just let me copy jpegs to a PC? If it did, it would almost be tethering... This X-T30 has some funny quirks! Still, where there's a will there's a way, I suppose.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. If I get anywhere, I'll be sure to post.

Louise

Edited by LouiseScot

Just before I go to bed, I came across this review from a couple of years ago:
Fujifilm X-T30 review - Page 3 of 8 - Amateur Photographer

It says to connect via Bluetooth but then says wi-fi is required which seems a bit ambiguous. It was obviously an early firmware version and I don't know if anything with wireless comms has changed since then. Another thing to try tomorrow. I will get there in the end - one way or another!

Louise

4 minutes ago, LouiseScot said:

Just before I go to bed, I came across this review from a couple of years ago:
Fujifilm X-T30 review - Page 3 of 8 - Amateur Photographer

It says to connect via Bluetooth but then says wi-fi is required which seems a bit ambiguous. It was obviously an early firmware version and I don't know if anything with wireless comms has changed since then. Another thing to try tomorrow. I will get there in the end - one way or another!

Louise

Bluetooth was used to set up the connection, and wifi was used to then do the heavy lifting.

I will try this week to see how it goes for my setup and let you know, but it will be the middle or so of the week.

Just now, jerryy said:

Bluetooth was used to set up the connection, and wifi was used to then do the heavy lifting.

I will try this week to see how it goes for my setup and let you know, but it will be the middle or so of the week.

I don't get that - two different systems! They were only talking about the Camera Remote app, I think, and I have that working with just the wi-fi. The wifi should be fast, shouldn't it? The spec says the wireless is 802.11b/g/n which is 11,54,450 Mbps.

Thank you very much for trying! :) Of course, should I get there first, I'll let you know. It's so annoying - I only need to do the PC Autosave setup once!

Louise

13 minutes ago, jerryy said:

I am hoping they will update X-Acquire to give the X-T30 the same abilities the X-T3 has.

Yep, that would be tethering! I suppose they have to have a differential between models though. There's probably no technical reason not to have it.

Louise

PS Their specs suggested it was already present which is why I bought the X-T30:  https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/software/x-acquire/

Edited by LouiseScot

Some good news! I got the camera talking to the router - yay! I think that problem was ultimately my fault 😳. I think it was to do with MAC filtering settings buried in the router settings... I'm still not able to connect the camera via the router wps button but it works manually by selecting the network connection from the list. The bad news is that the app won't find a destination PC. I've tried with a wired PC and a wifi laptop but nothing seems to play ball. I'm wondering if this could be another router setting? I can exchange files on my intranet between PCs and to/from the laptop. I've set the permissions on the default PC Autosave folders so I don't think it's that.

At least it's warming up a bit - I expect all the Glasgow snow will be gone by tomorrow :)

Louise