Why do I hear the mechanical shutter sound when using my X-T3 electronic shutter?

dutyhog

Why do I hear the mechanical shutter sound when using my X-T3 electronic shutter?

Whatever shutter type I chose I still hear what sounds like a mechanical shutter. I confirmed what shutters I'd chosen by checking the EXIF data. I've turned off all sounds in settings (except Self-timer beep volume) - AF beep volume OFF, Operation volume OFF, Shutter volume OFF.

It sounds as loud as a DLSR mirror flipping - I thought I'd  get away from that with a mirrorless camera.  Apart from not wanting wildlife subjects to hear a sound I also want to reduce the chance of vibration.

Gordon

I must add now that the effect isn't consistent. I had only been trying EFE front curtain, ME mechanical & electronic, and EFME electronic front & mechanical. None of these were silent when using the shutter speeds that should be electronic. But I just tried using ES for the first time and it does have a silent shutter.

OK, I know now that EFE use the front curtain and closes mechanically (so noisy), but it wasnt obvious to me that M+E does as well, and I had thought that  EF+M+E could use EF or ES depending on shutter speed.  Now I've tried out every combination and the camera is OK and I know how to keep it quiet when I want it to be.

Edited by dutyhog
added final sentence