Hello! 23yo beginner photographer from Sweden!

Hi. This is my introduction post. I'm a 23yo beginner photographer from Sweden who has just bought his first ever professional camera a little over a week ago (Fujifilm X-T3) and has no clue what he's doing.

My first question to all of you is HOW. I am honestly terrified I'm going to break it and whenever I watch a video I end up feeling even more confused by all these settings and buttons. I feel like I'm never going to learn how to use this camera - and if I do, it will probably take me another 9 months until I take my first REAL photo with it.

I'm excited to join this forum and learn more about the photography world, as well as the Fujifilm universe. :) 

13 hours ago, Olaf W. said:

Welcome to our forum. There is an internal battery (or capacitor) inside the cam to hold the power for some if the camera is switched off and the attached battery is empty or removed. It seems that this internal battery is malfunctioning. The cam probably needs service.

Hi Olaf! Thank you very much. Are you sure? I just bought this camera brand new less than 2 weeks ago. 

Edited by Remarquable

8 minutes ago, Olaf W. said:

It‘s the best explanation in my opinion. Of course there can be other reasons. But these would also lead to the conclusion that the camera is defective.

Having asked the same question in another forum, I've been told it could be due to me not having charged the internal battery. Apparently I'm supposed to leave the battery inside the camera for a whole day before I use it - just to allow the internal battery to charge.  

Actually, you need to pretty much leave the big battery in the camera as much as possible. If you leave it out, the internal battery will lose its charge after a while and all of your settings will go back to the fresh from the factory setup. Leaving the big battery out for a while is an alternative way to do a full reset in case things go very wrong. The internal small battery is there to keep the settings while you do battery swaps, etc.

20 hours ago, jerryy said:

Actually, you need to pretty much leave the big battery in the camera as much as possible. If you leave it out, the internal battery will lose its charge after a while and all of your settings will go back to the fresh from the factory setup. Leaving the big battery out for a while is an alternative way to do a full reset in case things go very wrong. The internal small battery is there to keep the settings while you do battery swaps, etc.

When you say big battery, do you mean the external battery that came with the camera and that needs to be charged every once in a while? Or is there a third battery I - a newbie - don't know about? 

2 hours ago, Remarquable said:

When you say big battery, do you mean the external battery that came with the camera and that needs to be charged every once in a while? Or is there a third battery I - a newbie - don't know about? 

The external one that came with the camera. Leave that one in as much as possible. If you can, get an extra battery or two and keep them all charged. Then when you are out shooting and the battery you are using gets low, swap it with another and continue shooting. The internal battery will keep your settings from disappearing while you swap the batteries, but it is not made for holding those settings long term, for that you need to keep the big battery in the camera.

The X-T30 allows you to charge the external batteries while they are in the camera, but it usually faster to use an external charger. You might be able to find a X-T10 (new or used) charger for not much money and use it — the batteries are the same and will work in the same charger. As far as extra batteries goes, lot of folks have their favorites regarding price and capacity, you should be able to find ones from Wasabi Power for reasonable prices — they also sell chargers.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:14 AM, jerryy said:

The external one that came with the camera. Leave that one in as much as possible. If you can, get an extra battery or two and keep them all charged. Then when you are out shooting and the battery you are using gets low, swap it with another and continue shooting. The internal battery will keep your settings from disappearing while you swap the batteries, but it is not made for holding those settings long term, for that you need to keep the big battery in the camera.

The X-T30 allows you to charge the external batteries while they are in the camera, but it usually faster to use an external charger. You might be able to find a X-T10 (new or used) charger for not much money and use it — the batteries are the same and will work in the same charger. As far as extra batteries goes, lot of folks have their favorites regarding price and capacity, you should be able to find ones from Wasabi Power for reasonable prices — they also sell chargers.

Thank you so, so much! I'm sure my questions seem really silly to people who are experienced photographers so I really appreciate you helping me out. Is there ever a time when I should be leaving my external battery out of the camera (except for when it's charging)? 

I don't own an X-T30, just an X-T3 :)

Your questions are not silly at all, very few of us are born already knowing how everything works. 😀

If you run into some setting combination that you cannot seem to undo using the menus and the ‘reset everything’ menu choice does not help, pull the battery and leave it out, set the camera on the shelf for a few days, all of the setting will go back to their initial, fresh from the factory settings, so that can help you keep your sanity during those times when you are certain your camera has a mind of its own.

But do pull it from time to time and examine the contacts on the battery and in the body to make sure they do not get discolored, that would be a sign of a possible bad battery.