Recommendation on lenses for GFX100S

dipakphotography

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have just joined this community today.

I am hoping to learn via this forum and the community here.

I have always been a canon shooter and currently shoot with Canon 5DsR.

I am planning on purchasing Fuji GFX100S. I am trying to learn more about Fuji systems. I have played bit with Fuji XT3 along with XF 50-140, XF 35, XF 10-24 and XF 18-55

I mainly shoot portraits and also do landscapes.

What are your recommendations for lenses on GFX 100S for following:

1. Portraits

2. Landscaps

3. Walk around street photography

Also, as I do have access to XF lenses, do they work on GFX camera's? If so what adaptors would I need and what features would I loose ?

Thank you all.

Regards,

Dipak 

XF lenses do not work on GFX cameras. Their image circle isn't large enough to cover the sensor. An APS-C lens covers about 25% of a GFX sensor. Some full frame lenses work with a GFX but only restricted to a smaller part of the image (about 70% of the GFX sensor).

I've worked with the GFX50S and shortly with the GFX100 for fashion and portraits. The combination of the 32-64 and the 110 works very well. Alternative is the 45-100. For landscape I can recommend the 23. Combine that with the 45-100 and you have a nice kit covering most.

You also mention longer glass (XF50-140). Note that for GFX there's essentially one longer prime lens: the GF250, which is a bit shorter than 140mm in APS-C equiv.) and one zoom: the 100-200 (a bit over 100mm in APS-C). Both are massive and quite a burden to carry around. Fuji claims that the GFX100S is only slightly larger than a full frame mirrorless, but that's only half the story. When you take the lenses into account it is considerably larger and heavier to carry around compared to full frame.

Although the GFX platform by design is well-suited for landscape, there's only one native real landscape lens (23). I guess there's room for a wider lens there. There are some third party options but at a lower quality standard (and price level).

Edited by Herco

For portraits: the 110mm is gorgeous at F2.0 and 2.8, best portrait lens I've ever had and I rate it 10/10. Everyone expects a lot from the new 80mm too. The 250mm is also really nice for portraits, 8,5/10.

The 50mm is said to be slightly better than the 45mm which I have and rate 7,5/10. The 30mm I haven't used very much yet, 7-8/10 for the moment. The 63mm is OK but nothing really special, a 7/10. The 120mm is really sharp, could be good for landscape but a no-go for portraits.

I had the 32-64mm, it's really sharp but has -imho- no character, 5/10. I really dislike zooms so I'm totally biased :).

On 2/12/2021 at 1:32 PM, JeroenB said:

110mm, 250mm 32-64mm.

I've tried these and for me they were all too heavy. So I am biased against weight.

I do like the 50mm for street, the 30mm should be good for Interiors and landscapes. I hope the 80mm will be great for portraits etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Just brought the 100S and embarking on my GF lens journey. Due to an incredible preorder deal from Fuji NZ I’ve started with the 110mm f2. 
My intention was to start with the 32-64 as it’s from all accounts one of the best zooms on the market, and also its wide to a 25mm FF equivalent. 
Also..it’s strongly rumoured that a GFX wide angle zoom lens is coming this year. For that reason I’d hold off buying the incredible 23mm prime until this announcement.

anyway here’s one of my first shots with the 110mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 5:30 AM, dipakphotography said:

Thanks guys for your reply and suggestions. I have ordered my GFX100S and following two lenses:

FUJINON GF32-64mmF4 R LM WR

GF80mmF1.7 R WR

Regards,Dipak

You will not be disappointed with either of these lenses I can assure you of that!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 30 is an exceptional lens. It has become my every day carry.

The 50 is an excellent lens and was on my 100S until I bought the 30. 

The 80 is also a wonderful lens for portraiture but the slightly longer 110 is in a class of it's own.

The 100-200 is made with some kind of pixie dust. It can be hand-held at 1/25 of a second and fully extended. Rock solid pictures with my aging body.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

One of my favorite Fuji GFX 100S lenses to shoot with is the Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F/4 R LM WR. It's a wide-angle zoom lens with an equivalent focal length of 25-51mm. Thanks to that versatility, you can use it to capture dramatic landscapes, stunning real estate photos, and more.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, batian said:

Hi,

I am going with the triple 30/50/80... with the GFX50S I have experiences with the 45, 63 and the two zooms 32-64 and 45-100...

Some first reviews on the lenses:

https://peterpoete.de/gf50-review/

https://peterpoete.de/gf3264-review/

... and I am working the the reviews on the 30mm and the 80mm...

Regards,

Peter

Coming back to Fujifilm with these triple 30/50/80. Great lenses. This 'flying machine' with the 50mm lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!